World Showcase shopping

kellygreenjenny

Earning My Ears
Much as we love WDW, we've never been a ble to spend much time in World Showcase due to DD's attention span and all-rides-all-the-time mentality - she's finally just as interested in shopping as in rides, lol

Are the shops in Epcot world Showcase actually unique to the countries and popular items of those countries, or are they essentially the same types of items we can find in the main gift shops at each park? We've done the pearl experience in Japan but years ago, and we didn't get a chance to explore much at the time. We are going.over spring break this year, and I'm wondering how much time we might want to allow for exploring the shops as we go through each country. I would definitely dedicate some time if it also will allow us to get a view of what other countries value and enjoy - at least there would be some.learning to go along with the spending :P

They’re unique to the country but in a Disney tourist way- some stuff is generic Disney repetitive, some stuff is Disney+that country/region and some is just stuff for that country. I would take time to explore them, my pocket book doesn’t appreciate it but I enjoy it 🤪

If you're there during Flower & Garden Festival, there will also be a number of festival stands/vendors for shopping around WS. Our favorite countries for shopping have probably been Mexico, Germany (glass art and carmel candy items!), and Japan. But many country-based shops.

The shops have items unique to the countries but in typical Disney fashion they are heavily marked up. If you have an Asian grocery store near you, you can get the candy and snacks for WAY cheaper than from the China and Japan stores.

As others have said, they are unique but predictably Disneyfied. Still, it's some of the best shopping in the parks and you can find really fun things. I can never resist bringing home one of the colorful animal figurines from Mexico - I have a cute little collection now. There's a spot in the shop in Italy where you can watch an artisan hand painting Venetian Carnevale masks - it's worth taking a moment to take a peek at the gorgeous display of masks.

The shops are unique! The shops are usually filled with a good mix of finer goods (think clothes, artwork, perfume), trinkets, and packaged snacks from that specific country and a selection of Disney things.

Norway is a great example of this. There's a store with Laila perfume and those nice down jackets I can't remember the name of, and there's also a store with Frozen toys and clothes from wall-to-wall.

Germany is another one of my favorites for unique, very nice ornaments, steins, and glassware. And Steiff teddy bears!

Italy is fun if you want something unique but still Disney-fied. They have a great assortment of pizza and limoncello themed Disney kitchenware, clothes, & stuffed animals.

Can anyone remember which country you can get the perfume with the engraving?

This is Plume et Palette in France and I believe occasionally a shop in the Italy pavilion but I don't believe this is every day -- I think the engraving artist is a contractor who only appears Thurs-Sat, but other posters can correct me if I'm wrong here.

The shops are unique! The shops are usually filled with a good mix of finer goods (think clothes, artwork, perfume), trinkets, and packaged snacks from that specific country and a selection of Disney things.

Norway is a great example of this. There's a store with Laila perfume and those nice down jackets I can't remember the name of, and there's also a store with Frozen toys and clothes from wall-to-wall.

Germany is another one of my favorites for unique, very nice ornaments, steins, and glassware. And Steiff teddy bears!

Italy is fun if you want something unique but still Disney-fied. They have a great assortment of pizza and limoncello themed Disney kitchenware, clothes, & stuffed animals.
Norway: Helly Hanson clothes

Norway: Helly Hanson clothes

Thank you!!! So funny, we went out to eat at a local diner last week and we heard another family sitting near us talking about how they got the jackets they were wearing "in Epcot in Norway" ... I couldn't see them, but I knew exactly which jacket they were talking about immediately :laughing:

The shops have items unique to the countries but in typical Disney fashion they are heavily marked up. If you have an Asian grocery store near you, you can get the candy and snacks for WAY cheaper than from the China and Japan stores.
Actually, some of the stuff in the Japan store is priced roughly the same. I was just there, and their prices on origami paper are actually a good price. (Less than Amazon, and art supply stores.)

OP, if you choose just one store in the World Showcase, I suggest the Japan store. It is not as great as it once was, but it is still decent.

Much of the merchandise sold in the other WS countries- if you read the tags - is made in China.

Of the WS countries, China is also one of the better options, IMO. At least to look. Some merch you can find online for less. If you are going soon though, China usually carries a Sprit Jersey themed to the Chinese New Year. This upcoming year will be the year of the Dragon.

Mexico has some items that are pretty and not terribly expensive. Marked up, but still not terribly expensive.

The snack shops in France are worthwhile.

Morocco is fun to walk through for the theming. There is a small museum room, that is nice and quiet. There is also a room with a fountain. Norway and Japan also have small museums.

On my most recent visit, Geir Ness, the creator of Norway's Laila perfume was there, and he was really nice. He visits fairly often. (I can understand why Florida would be appealing to visit in winter.)

Actually, some of the stuff in the Japan store is priced roughly the same. I was just there, and their prices on origami paper are actually a good price. (Less than Amazn, and art supply stores.)

OP, if you choose just one store in the World Showcase, I suggest the Japan store. It is not as great as it once was, but it is still decent.

Much of the merchandise sold in the other WS countries- if you read the tags - is made in China.

Of the WS countries, China is also one of the better options, IMO. At least to look. Some merch you can find online for less. If you are going soon though, China usually carries a Sprit Jersey themed to the Chinese New Year. This upcoming year will be the year of the Dragon.

Mexico has some items that are pretty and not terribly expensive. Marked up, but still not terribly expensive.

The snack shops in France are worthwhile.

Morocco is fun to walk through for the theming. There is a small museum room, that is nice and quiet. There is also a room with a fountain. Norway and Japan also have small museums.

On my most recent visit, Geir Ness, the creator of Norway's Laila perfume was there, and he was really nice. He visits fairly often. (I can understand why Florida would be appealing to visit in winter.)

Actually, some of the stuff in the Japan store is priced roughly the same. I was just there, and their prices on origami paper are actually a good price. (Less than Amazn, and art supply stores.)
The candy is definitely marked up. I was at Hmart recently and many of the candies, chips, drinks, etc. that I've seen at the Japan store were cheaper. The anime merchandise is marked up too. You can get the figures for cheaper on sites based in Japan since you're paying in Yen.

The store in Japan- Mitsukoshi- is actually a popular Japanese department store. My kids love to shop there, lots of unique items.
My kids always loved the candy there. Sometimes I find the Hychews and Pocky at World Market but they tried it here first.

Hello Kellygreenjenny,
I'm very glad that your daughter has developed an interest in shopping especially at World Showcase during your upcoming trip. Some items that your daughter might like are UK souvenirs from the United Kingdom pavilion and you can find some Doctor Who merchandise there that your daughter might like but you can also search Hot Topic for Doctor Who merchandise at better prices. In the Mexico pavilion they have cool handbags and little wallets and there's even little purses that might be cute for your daughter to carry around. And in the China pavilion they also have little silk handbags that might also be perfect for your daughter as well. If your daughter can't find what she's looking for you can find most of the items at World Market and you might just want to get your daughter a World Market gift card that she can use after the trip. But I'd stay away from the Japan pavilion because you can easily find most of the stuff at Japanese markets in your area and Hot Topic does carry Anime merchandise as well. Hope this advice helps you and good luck on your trip
Dodger

Part of the fun for us is interacting with cast members from the various countries.

Some merchandise throughout World Showcase is higher priced than our Cost Plus World Market/Amazon and some is lower. If it is a big ticket item, check your phone for comparison if you can. DH was super disappointed to find his Zelda books on Amazon VASTLY less expensive and via Amazon they were delivered directly home without lugging around.

I did laugh at the Mexico "toothpick holders" we got in Mexico as they were "Made in China."

All Ears YouTube has these really cool videos that Molly did before leaving. Search for words like All Ears Molly Trapped in Norway (or the country of your choice).

We learned, for instance, that the mask store in Italy has a stash you have to special request to see! It was pretty cool.

They are well worth exploring even if you aren't into shopping. The theming alone has all sorts of little hidden gems. There is a huge clock on the outside of Germany that does the whole figures coming out thing. There are the drummers in Japan. During the holidays there is the lion dancer in China. They are slowly bringing back the exchange cast members from the different countries so if you want a learning opportunity, talk to them about their country, that used to be my son's favorite thing to do. There is kidcot in each area with cast members helping kids with different crafts. Go through the church in Norway. There is a treasure trove of things to see if you take the time to look. Once my son and I were resting on a bench right across from the Italy pavilion. One of us (don't remember who) looked up at all the statues and wondered aloud who or what they were and if they actually represented something or someone real. That lead to google searches and before you knew it, we had been sitting there for a hour just looking up the info. and talking about it. I wasn't trying for a learning experience, we were just tired. Keep in mind, my son loves to learn new things and was fascinated about anything history (he has a degree in Anthropology now so go figure) so your mileage may vary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter