• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worried about 20-somethings not enjoying trip!

I once went with my friend to Universal when she was not interested at all. I basically just kept getting her booze and she had a grand old time.

Can Disney be as magical for young adults as it was when they were little??
No, it is not as magical as when they were little. It will be very different.

I don't have kids but I took my nieces for their very first visit (5 and 7) and then again when they were in their teens and then in their 20's. I was just at Disneyland with the oldest, now early 30's and married to a young man who had never been. Each time we went the level of "magical" had been different. Others have said it; a big part of the magic is remembering what they experienced when they were little. But now they see it through older eyes and experiences. The husband had a very different experience than my niece. He had never been and had it in his head that Disneyland was for kids. So his experience (seeing it for the first time as an adult) was very different then a little kid or someone who saw it first as a little kid.

I was a kid and then a young adult and now an old guy - each level of magic is different. My advice to you is to not worry but to watch and enjoy your young adult kids having a new adventure.

We took our 3 kids to Disney 4 times when they were little, but we haven't been in 11 years! My son always said he would take me to Disney when he grew up - and this Christmas surprised me with news that we were going to Disney in March! I have been diligently planning since Christmas! I have fp booked for each day (and I was able to get everything we wanted - including fop and 7dmt (twice!). My concern is .... I'm worried that the "kids" who are now 20-somethings ()23, 25 & 26) won't be as thrilled with the magic of Disney as they were when they were small! My daughter is bringing her 25 year old boyfriend. I'm worried that he, in particular, will not have as much fun. Can Disney be as magical for young adults as it was when they were little?? Is there something else I should be planning for them? They have pretty much said that I am in charge of planning - because my kids remember what a great time we had before with the plans that I had made. But is it different now?
My best friend and her husband have been going all their lives, never had kids, and still have a blast. Every year they take a big trip to Africa or Europe, this year is Antarctica, but they still return to WDW twice a year.

My DD is turning 21, and is bringing her best friend this summer. They have their own room. We chose WDW to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in WDW this summer. There’s so much for adults to enjoy. Check out the Grand Floridian Spa or the golf course or a couple Signature restaurants or some specialized tours. Do your research based on your party’s interests.

You will all have a wonderful time.

I would say yes! Though agree it can depend on the person. My parents took me when I was 5 and 6, then for our high school graduation, my friends and I decided to skip Senior Week at the beach and go to Disney. I didn’t remember a ton since it had been 12 years since I had been, so it was like going for the first time. I loved it so much, I’ve gone almost every year since (I’m now 27)!

Can Disney be as magical for young adults as it was when they were little?? Is there something else I should be planning for them? They have pretty much said that I am in charge of planning - because my kids remember what a great time we had before with the plans that I had made. But is it different now?

How awesome! Sounds like a lot of fun. I went to Disney as a kid, then stopped going in my later teens because I just wanted to stay at home with my boyfriend/fiance, but then, in my 20's I started going with my fam again and absolutely loved it and still do. The magic for me now is just as magical as when I was a kid, so indeed it can be that for your kids too. The biggest thing to remember is that everyone is different, so it is indeed possible that one or more of them won't enjoy it at the same level and that's ok! Let the individuals take a break from the group if they like, and eat at some new, more adult places. Another thing for me was slowing down a bit and just enjoying the weather and people watching, talking with my fam and making new memories.

We took our 3 kids to Disney 4 times when they were little, but we haven't been in 11 years! My son always said he would take me to Disney when he grew up - and this Christmas surprised me with news that we were going to Disney in March! I have been diligently planning since Christmas! I have fp booked for each day (and I was able to get everything we wanted - including fop and 7dmt (twice!). My concern is .... I'm worried that the "kids" who are now 20-somethings ()23, 25 & 26) won't be as thrilled with the magic of Disney as they were when they were small! My daughter is bringing her 25 year old boyfriend. I'm worried that he, in particular, will not have as much fun. Can Disney be as magical for young adults as it was when they were little?? Is there something else I should be planning for them? They have pretty much said that I am in charge of planning - because my kids remember what a great time we had before with the plans that I had made. But is it different now?
My wife and I were 23 and on our honeymoon for our first Disney trip and it was magical (and it was just the Magic Kingdom way back then).
We took our kids when they were 7, 10 and 12 and again when they were 18, 21 and 23. Trust me...the magic doesn't go away.
My kids have each been with friends since our trips with them and my wife and I plan a 1-5 day visit each year during our winter vacation.

I don't think "will they have fun" will be the problem. The problem usually comes at the end of the trip when no one wants to leave :D

20 somethings - Epcot. It should be flower and garden festival. It'll look amazing and they have tons of fun food booths and great drinks. I would say almost more magical because there's so much to appreciate that you totally miss as a kid

We have been going to Disney since my oldest was 6, usually every other year. He is now 26 and works at Disney, has since college graduation, 5 or 6 years ago. Absolutely loves it. Our youngest just turned 21, did the Disney CP program (as did her older brother) last year, and feels the same way. We leave in 3 days for a very short stay, but both my kids can't wait. Like the pps stated, if you are brought up with it, it is hard NOT to enjoy it. I, myself, after 20 odd trips, am ready to get back to the Caribbean, but it is tough to give up Disney. I'm sure you will have a great trip. Enjoy.

I was at WDW two weeks ago wth my 31 year old son. We had a blast. We went many times when he was little (with his Dad, who passed away ten years ago) and it is all very nostalgic for him. He is almost inconsolable that the Great Movie Ride is gone. It was his all time favorite. I think your 20-somethings will be fine. It's fun for all ages.

Totally different magic. Make it a unique trip and not re-creating the old type of trip you had when they were kids, and they will have a blast either way. Do some more "adult" things - Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk is a lot of fun, plus some of the finer dining where you can actually sit and enjoy your meal. And just have a blast! We should all be so lucky that our adult kids want to spend a trip with us :)

My son has been going since he was shy of 3, he is now 37 and still loves to go, as a matter of fact he and I went every other year until about 4 years ago when I started going at least twice a year and he started going at least once a year. I think he enjoys it more now as an adult than he did as a kid. My co-worker's college age daughter took her boyfriend last year. She had been a few times as a kid and he had never been. My co-worker asked me a few questions for her but they loved it so much they had booked a second trip before they even left.

Don't underestimate the pull of beautiful weather and pool time with 20-somethings either! Or a monorail bar crawl!

I made one of my best girlfriends (she's in her mid-30's like me) come with me last January for Marathon Weekend. She'd never been, had never really read anything about Disney (I brought her some park maps) and she really just thought it was going to be a "hella expensive Six Flags". We stayed at Beach Club Villas and she was HOOKED. She even came back in November, bought an AP and has already been back this January with three other trips planned this year!

She's not a foodie, but she loved all the different food offerings (especially at Epcot), the rides - even meeting the characters!

As for the boyfriend - if he knows how excited she is about this trip, I'm sure he'll be excited too!

DW and I made two trips before DD17 was born, one was just the two of us and the other we brought a mutual friend in his 20s. Our friends thought it was an odd trip as we don't seem like the type that would enjoy Disney as young adults, but we had a great time. I'm sure that some young adults might not get the magic, but there seems to be a insulation factor at Disney that allows many of us to drop the pretenses of adulthood and the trials that go with it while at WDW. I was in college at the time of both trips and enjoyed the feeling of being free of all the pressures that come with starting to make my way through the world. Now, I still enjoy being able to let go of everyday worries for the duration of the trip. I never sleep better than when at Disney. I think that it is especially enjoyable for anyone that has visited DL or WDW as a child, otherwise it is hard to explain my attraction to IASW, Tiki Room, and Country Bear Jamboree. I think with enough freedom to enjoy the parks on their terms, they should have a good time. I hope the trip turns out wonderful for everyone in your group.

I lost interest in Disney when I was a teen, in favor of Six Flags thrills. At that age, you become more of an adrenaline junkie. In your 20s, I think you can enjoy the charms of Disney again. Besides, it was your son's idea, so I would think he will enjoy it, too.

Our 20 somethings still love Disney. We brought DD's BF last summer. He was a first timer who didn't grow up with a great desire to see Disney. I made sure to not overload him with too much. We did MK our first day for about 6 hours, did the rides that we thought would interest him then went back to the resort. Did DS for dinner and walked around for a while. Spent day 2 at EP (which ended up as his favorite park) and day three going to AK. FOP is his favorite ride! He now asks DD when they can go see the "mouse" again. So my advice is keep it simple and open to change. Also, have fun yourself!

I think, in a way, you can enjoy WDW even more as an adult. You can really look and appreciate how much actually goes into all the details of the parks. There is so much to enjoy that is not on a kid level, fun at the park late nights, if old enough Epcot will be great with lots of different drinks to try around the WS and so many tasty treats -- look at disney food blog for all the food offerings at flower and garden.

I agree with PP you are the typical mom and worried about how everyone else is doing. Your son gave you this trip as a gift so, for once, go ahead and make sure YOU have fun and YOU relax and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about everyone else. Typically 20 somethings are able to adapt and have fun anywhere.

I’m from South America, so most of my friends have never been to Disney. When they ask me why do I love Disney so much? I tell them that it’s because being in Disney, I fell like a kid again. I think that as an adult (I’m 30 years old now) we sometimes forget how to be silly and have fun. We tend to take ourselves to seriously, going to Disney allows me to shed that and truly be a kid. I do meet and greats with characters and hug them as if they were real and not a person in a costume and it always ends up being a fantastic experience (pluto wrote me a love letter last time instead of giving me his autograph, all it said was pluto multiple times :lovestruc). I hope that helps you!:flower1:

they will have fun! My first trip was when I was 12. And been going almost every year since 2007. I’m 28 this year and since enjoy going home. I took my husband for his first trip when he was 27. Before the trip he couldn’t understand why I loved it so much. After the trip he told me how he wanted to go back cause he missed it. We’ve planned our third trip together for next month. We are so excited to go back.

Your kids surprised you with the trip. That means they want to go too. I hope you have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter