Worried about Boma

I'm seventeen now, and I've been eating there since I was... eight or nine years old (my brother since he was six or seven). Neither of us was a very adventurous eater at all and we both loved it. There is plenty of food there for the pickier eaters, and tons of delicious desserts :) I say go for it! The worst that happens is all they eat is mac & cheese and french fries.
Have fun!

So I booked Boma back in the planning stages.....well, now Im second guessing (dont we all? lol)

Are my kids really even going to enjoy this? African style food? I thought they would like to check out AKL and the reviews on Boma seemed really good, but now Im reading some not so good reviews and wondering if Im making the right decision for the kids. They dont really do well with "weird" food. Maybe we should be going to WCC or Ohana or something more kid friendly. For dinners we have CRT, Le Cellier, Mama Melrose (fantasmic) and Boma. Breakfast we have Crystal Palace, 1900 Fare, Akershus & Tusker House. Would you cancel Boma and try to go somewhere else? And where?

Keep in mind this is dinner for our very first night at Disney - EVER. And its for this Sunday, yikes! HELP! :confused3

Boma's has no characters but the food is great and they have all kinds of foods to chose from.we really like breakfast there as well. they make omletts to order. I is not weird foods/ they have ham and beef roast and turkey the night we there and then they have pork and all kind of vegtables and potaoes and desserts wonderful:surfweb:

Interesting discussion. We enjoy Boma and the opportunity to try some different preparations. A gentle suggestion...calling the food there "weird' (even with the apostrophes) is somewhat offensive. Using the term "typical" or Amerianized" isn't quite as judgmental. Good luck with your decision, either way I'm sure you'll have a great vacation.

Sorry you took offense to that. Actually I was quoting what my children would say, in a very simple term, how they would sum it up - weird. I dont think its weird at all. Im more of a foodie type and like to try new things. My children on the otherhand.... havent made it there yet :rolleyes:.

Thanks for allyour responses, Im feeling much better about Boma now :thumbsup2

I am an incredibly picky eater. Here are things I DO NOT eat

- Lunch meat sandwiches (not even sub sandwiches)
- Foods that are mixed (like salads, casseroles, meatloaf)
- Foods with sauces (except for BBQ and Spaghetti with maranara)
- Salad Dressings
- Ethnic foods (no mexican, asian, pan-asian, etc.)

Basically, I have the taste buds of a 4 year old- give it to me plain and simple.

That being said, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Boma- as in, I could eat there every day of my trip. I also eat EVERYTHING off of the buffet, even if it's normally something I wouldn't enjoy.

Your kids will be fine :banana::banana:

We went to Boma in October.

We didn't really enjoy it. That said, there were plenty of options for our little boy - we didn't enjoy it becasue we just felt it was WAY too toned down if it was meant to be an african dining experience.

However, we are not sorry we ate at ALK, it was lovely to look around, and some of the desserts at boma were lovely, and, after all, we all ate something.

No worries --- my kids are very picky and they loved it - especially the desserts !!!

9 dwn.....:rolleyes1

you said you are a picky eater, and from this list I believe it, lol. I think you managed to pick out the only plain non-African-seasoned foods they had there...

the soups, the ribs, some of the chicken & fish dishes, and all of the casserole-type dishes as well as foods in sauces; even some of the veggies had the heavy cinnamon, cardamon, vanilla bean, etc. Or they were unusual combinations or preparations (like pickled watermelon rind)

When we were there, the place was mobbed and it was 10-15 minute long lines to get to the plain meats like the prime rib or the kids' choice areas for the plainer foods. The only dishes you could approach without a wait were the African (cinnamon) foods.

Well that could have a lot to do with it, lol. But like a previous comment, so many things to choose from, the odds of not liking anything should be very low. :rotfl:

DS is leery of "weird" food but we both enjoyed Boma. It's also great fun to visit the AKL in the evening.

In adition the food is really toned down. I've eaten at a lot of African restaurants and Boma is the most toned down or "Americanized" I've ever eaten at. You don't have to be an adventurous eater to enjoy the food because it really isn't that exotic.

I agree. I was disappointed at how non-adventurous Boma is. I love Ethiopian and Senegalese food (and adore North African cuisina, but that's another topic), and I felt very meh towards Boma. We're staying at AKL next and I have two ADRs for breakfast, but cannot bring myself to try it again. Except for the great hummus, the rest was just sooo toned down.

I agree. I was disappointed at how non-adventurous Boma is. I love Ethiopian and Senegalese food (and adore North African cuisina, but that's another topic), and I felt very meh towards Boma. We're staying at AKL next and I have two ADRs for breakfast, but cannot bring myself to try it again. Except for the great hummus, the rest was just sooo toned down.
I agree somewhat but I think that you'd see Boma almost totally empty if they became too adventurous. If you read the reviews now so many find them too out there as it is. They have to straddle the line and I think that they do so pretty well.

When we were there, the place was mobbed and it was 10-15 minute long lines to get to the plain meats like the prime rib or the kids' choice areas for the plainer foods. The only dishes you could approach without a wait were the African (cinnamon) foods.

LOL, same as when my family ate there. And add us to the ones who ended up lining up for the plain foods, as none of us cared for the other ones. Never thought in my life I would have to resort to choosing from the kids' buffet until we tried Boma. lol Have to add though, that their breakfast was outstanding.

You kids will have a good time picking out the foods they want to eat. I'm sure they will see what they like and make good choices.

Last week I was behind a mother who stood there and explained every dish to her child and what it would taste like. Poor kid went back to his table with an almost empty plate.

HI !

Boma is one of the best buffets of all in Disney World, in my humble opinion. They have several types of salads with fresh greens, veggies etc. They have other homemade type of salads, they have watermelon rine salad (to die for if you like watermelon), hummus, chips, rolls, butter, fries, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and other americanized food, they have prime rib, a seafood dish, chicken, 3 different types of soup, crackers, various desserts! The food is always fresh, and really really GREAT! The atmosphere is amazing too! The whole theming at the AKL is amazing and exotic. It is also a relaxing atmospher, it is really a pretty good value for the money in my opinion. Have fun and please let us know how you liked it.

Have a magical vacation.

Brunetteprincess:

I am a somewhat picky eater and a vegetarian. Plus, my family dines out A LOT, and my parents tend to enjoy nicer resturants. With that in mind, Boma offered perhaps the best meal I have ever had. Go!

GO GO GO! Boma is incredible for dinner-- haven't tried breakfast yet, but have heard great things about that as well!

Honestly, I did not taste cinnamon on anything. I am a picky eater, I hate to admit it. Taking risks at restaurants is not my thing and like I said I was extremely worried to dine here, but it worked out fine. I don't know if they have done a recent menu change, but we ate there just 5 days ago and none of the foods I had had cinnamon, vanilla or sweet flavors to them. I had chicken, prime rib, salad, bread, mash potatoes, white rice, meat balls. None had sweet flavoring to them and no one in our party thought anything was sweet other than the dessert. :confused:

I agree-, I love savory foods and not sweet and I didnt taste the sweet flavors or cinnamon and vanilla at all. We all loved it, kids included and they were not running for kids selections since the other food was so good. We loved it, DH insisted we go again this yr and he never asks to go anyplace specific. I like that it gave us all a chance to try things we might not otherwise try with the comfort of knowing there were more simple items as well. My kids found their favs to be black bean hummus and black eyed peas soup!

This thread is well over a year old - I'm pretty sure the OP already went! lol

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter