• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worried about making airfare reservation with connection required

jaw62901

Mouseketeer
Now that I have my reservations for CBR from Dec 26 thru Jan 3, I have been looking at my airfare option. It seems that it is cheaper 297 compared to 336 to fly with a connection then flying straight from Chicago (ohare or midway) to Orlando. Since this is my first major trip, how do you book your trip. Should go ahead and book with a connection or wait to see if something non-stop comes along that is around the same price. I am worried that I will beable to get out of chicago, but will get stuck in the other city. Any information from experienced wdw travelers would be great. I am also going to look at possible price difference in airfare for comming in late x-mas evening.

I wouldnt worry about connections.. Millions of people make connections everyday... plus. if you SHOULD by chnce hve problem MOST airlines are really good about making accomodations for that.

9 times out of 10 you will find a flight that is not non-stop will be cheaper... also try alternate airports. For instance we have two airports in our area. each about equal distance from our home. one is ALWAYS far cheaper than the other.

I think it is almost ALWAYS more cost effective to use a travel agent. They know all the tricks

Michele

You do not say who is travelling - i.e. kids, grandparents etc. - this may impact your consideration of tolerance ability of a connection and potential disruption of the kids.

For the difference of $40, I know I would fly direct as it is a very small portion of my total Disney vacation investment

Thanks
Jason

I agree with Jason...for a difference of $40, I would take the non-stop flight. I can see reason for worry with the connections at that time of year. Would try to have the connecting city out of the snow belt. And would want at least one hour between connections.

I've gone the last 4 Novembers and I usually find a better airfare for nonstop about mid to later July or August.

Although this year with the mess United is in, the lock the have on Denver, I might not see a good nonstop cost wise. May be forced to do connection to save $150 PER TICKET! For that kind of price difference, have to do the connections!

Good luck

For $40 or so fly direct. Don't waste vacation flying.

Our connection disaster to save a little money. To make a long story short.... Storm on east coast, pilot slowdown by delta/comair. Stuck in Cinci airport with no guareentee of getting out for more than a day. One couple had already been stranded a day. Airline personnel no help. Finally at the suggestion of one of the stranded a bus overnight from Cinci to Toledo arriving next morning. Had to miss work/school. Free tickets given for Comair only and then they went on strike.
We won't connect unless it results in very significant savings. Still you have a little time to wait for airfare but I think this is a more expensive time to fly. We usually fly from Detroit for around $200 two weeks before Christmas, we were going right after Christmas last year for New Years but ticket prices were so high we skipped it and went before Christmas.
I have booked my own tickets the last few years after finding my own price and using the travel agent. Travel agent couldn't get it any cheaper than I could on the internet. My parents did once get a cheaper flight from a travel agent on a company not on the internet. I tried the same thing with no result. Find the cheapest fare on something like travelocity or orbitz and then go to that company's web site. Sometimes they are cheaper there.

We have no choice here. There are no direct flights, so we have to make a connecting flight. If I had a choice, and for only $40, I'd take the direct flight in a heartbeat! Never had any problems, so far, with our connections though, but it is a hassle with kids.

By myself or just with DH, I will fly off peak with connections. But with DDs (4 and <2), I will always fly with least number of connections and on their schedule as much as possible. That usually means flying peak hours, but worth it to me. We are lucky that SW has several NS a day from MSY to MCO, so I usually have my pick of when. It is just a matter if how much I am willing to pay for the flights!

I agree with the other who say go direct with children. I have a 5 year old son and fly direct when we have that option. If the diiference is only $40, I think that is great and definitely worth it !:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter