Worried I'll be disappointed with a Moderate after staying at a Deluxe

I have stayed at every level of resort, I now usually stay at Deluxe just because that's my preference, but if I'm trying to be more budget conscious I go all the way down to value and I have never regretted it. I have stayed in some of the most expensive rooms, as well as some of the least expensive, and I always have a great trip no matter where I stay. The reason I go value over moderate is down to several different reasons: size of resorts (less walking), buses, and to me they're just as good. I stayed at all star movies in August in a freshly renovated room and it was soooo nice, I had a preferred room with easy walking to food and the buses, and that bed was amazing. It was a last minute trip that originally I wasn't going to make so cost savings was a big deal, and since I ended up saving close to $100 a night from that of a moderate it helped my money go further when buying souvenirs (it was the Galaxy's Edge AP previews.....I might have gone overboard with buying all the stuff). I have stayed at POR, and while I liked it I didn't love the buses or the size, even with a preferred room at the end of a long day the walk wasn't fun; if I had to I think I would pick POFQ.

My first ever trip to Disney World was for my honeymoon and my wife and I stayed at the Yacht Club. After that, a big concern of ours was feeling disappointed if we stayed anywhere else. We knew we couldn't afford to stay at a deluxe every time we've went and we've actually never been back to the Yacht Club. On our second trip tried staying at the Art of Animation...a big difference than the Yacht Club obviously but we liked the fact that it would be cheaper and we spent the vast majority of our time in the parks anyway. While we had no issue with the resort itself and were fine with our room, we were missing the ease of access to parks big time. We knew that a resort like Art of Animation wouldn't have the convenience of walking or taking a boat to parks like the Yacht Club has but we didn't think it would affect us much. It definitely put a damper on our trip when we had to wait for buses on long lines every night after a long day at the parks. For our third trip we found out about renting DVC points and were amazed that we found a way to stay at the Beach Club in our price range. We were back to having that amazing park access convenience.

So here we are planning our 4th trip now. We don't think we will be able to rent points for the Beach Club this time but with the addition of the Skyliner other cheaper resorts now have more convenient access to parks. For our next trip the plan is to stay at Caribbean Beach but if we can make it work we want to try out the Polynesian as well. We absolutely know we'd be happy in either place because both resorts offer convenient access to parks.

I think the best thing you could do is really think about what you really like about specific deluxe resorts and see if that can be matched somewhere cheaper. For us it wasn't the larger or nicer rooms with fancier dining options. It was the ease of access to parks and you can definitely find that now in some moderates.

Last edited:
@MsKrueger--I wanted to mention this in case you haven't factored this into your plans, but there are very often general public discounts for WDW resorts. It's too early for a discount for a year from now, but if you check the Discount Rates and Codes section of the Resorts board here, you can keep an eye on when discounts for your stay would appear. If you go to mousesavers.com, you can see when discounts have traditionally been released. On that front, I think that POFQ is often although not always excluded.

Okay lets be truthful YES you will have some level of disappointment going from WL to POR. No way to avoid that as they are simply two different experiences. With that said POR/POFQ is still a nice resort it has long been one of my favorite moderate resorts going back to the old Dixie Landing days. Go into this with an open mind judge POR on it's own merits as these two resorts are on completely different level. Failure to do so will result in a disappointing stay.

My 2 cents

It's all about frame of mind. Go with the expectation that it'll be great and it will!

That being said, I got the opportunity to stay deluxe back in '03. Was booked at POFQ and Disney closed it for refurb. Well, we were offered any deluxe for just $25 more a night. Yep, jumped on that train. Haven't got back. Tried the Pop one night last year...nope. Been spoiled.

For me, it's about transportation and quiet. One member of the party suffers horrible motion sickness and a bus ride to the parks, especially after spending 20 min circling all the stops at the resort? No bueno. We need the monorail or a boat or a foot trail that more or less goes straight there. I also like the quietness of the deluxe QS options. I just don't like the chaos of the food court. I head back to the resort daily to relax.

This is off topic, but I noticed you said your mom has health problems. Riverside does allow dogs in certain rooms so that may be something to consider. And I only mention it cause I noticed your a new member so you may not know. Of course you can always request to be in a room that doesn’t allow dogs or even close to a room that allows them. I say that because we went back to Art of Animation this past spring and we were next door to a room that had a dog. And we had to listen to whining and barking around 10 at night while trying to get my child to sleep. But even if I didn’t have my child, that’s not something I want to listen to. So we had to call down and let the front desk know. The POFQ does not allow dogs. FQ is such a lovely resort.
BobGobblin15 ~ keeping with your topic of the dog, did the front desk do anything when you called. I do have an allergy to dogs and will request that they do not put me near an area that allows dogs, but I also do not want to be kept awake with barking and whining.

POR has a boat to Disney Springs, Yehaa Bob, a large food court, and a quick walk or boat to FQ for variety. I wasn't disappointed going from WL to POR.

POR has a boat to Disney Springs, Yehaa Bob, a large food court, and a quick walk or boat to FQ for variety. I wasn't disappointed going from WL to POR.
I actually like POR more than WL, and I'd chose to stay there above more than one deluxe.

I love the grounds there, decor in the remodeled rooms, boat to DS, food options, pool bar, and more. And I was really surprised at how quick the bus ride was from POR to most of the parks (getting to MK was super fast).

I think if someone is aware of the differences at mods compared to deluxes (such as smaller rooms, no balconies, etc.) before they go, they should be ok. It's different than a deluxe stay but not worse, IMO. I've had just as much (or more) fun during my mod stays than a few of my deluxe stays. And keep an open mind, because for many, moderates offer lots of bonuses as well.

I'm in the same boat going from Boardwalk to POFQ. I know it won't be the same. I know there will be some differences. I know we'll have to take a bus to the parks, but I'm going in with managed expectations and will make the best of it.
Besides, I've never stayed at this resort before so it will be fun to explore and enjoy the atmosphere and architecture. Who knows, maybe I'll like it better. (my bank account already likes it better)

I’d also look at POFQ, we have stayed at all of the MOD resorts and it’s our joint favourite with CSR, it’s a beautiful little resort with the added bonus of the boat to Disney Springs for food options, I’m not too sure of the availability of rooms on the dining plan though (I seem to remember that POR is the where the dining plan I’d offered but may be wrong)
Another option would be Caribbean Beach in a preferred room so you’d be close to the hub and also have the option of the Skyliner to get to Epcot and DHS easily, it’s not our favourite resort but that’s just personal taste as other Dissers love it 😀

BobGobblin15 ~ keeping with your topic of the dog, did the front desk do anything when you called. I do have an allergy to dogs and will request that they do not put me near an area that allows dogs, but I also do not want to be kept awake with barking and whining.
Someone did show up from the office shortly after we called down. We heard them knock next door and no one answer and they left. But then sometime after that the people who were staying in the room came and got the dog. I assume that they called the people staying in the room and told them it was being a nuisance and disturbing people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter