Worried

Mavis0426

Earning My Ears
Okay, I thought I'd start a new thread because I wanted to ask a question. My GF and I are from the Midwest and when we travel, we have always made sure that the places are friendly. Places that don't mind if we happen to hold hands and such. Just how friendly is Disney? I know about Gay Days at Disney, but how about the rest of the time? I'd like some good and bad examples. Thanks!

Well, considering probably half (if not more) of WDW cast members are gay, you won't get much flack from them :rotfl:

As for guests, as long as you're not being obscene with your PDA's, most dont mind at all. You might get the ocassional idiot who will say something or a strange look, but the majority of the people there are just having a good time and don't care about others :)

I'm not gay, so I can't say from first hand experience, but heres what I think.....
I figure that you have a better chance of people leaving you alone in Disney because people are generally happier in Disney because, well.... There in Disney!
However, if you are from a major city like San Diego or something, and used to being open because no one there cares, it won't be the same. There are people visiting Disney from San Diego, and Kentucky, and Alabama, and people with grandparents who walked in KKK rallies, etc. - people from all walks of life. I say (and this goes for straight people too!!) that as long as you are not sloppy kissing your partner in the middle of MK, you'll be fine! Its sad that you have to worry about something as trivial as holding your partners hand in public.... maybe one day no one will have to worry about something like that.

Here is another CSP checking in. I agree that 99.9% of people in WDW will not even notice if you are hand holding, peck on the cheek, etc people. There will be a few that may may a loud comment, and sometimes kids will ask, Mommy, why are those 2 ladies kissing?, but for the most part, people are so enamored of the World, that they don't see much else happening around them. The CMs are great, as CK has stated. Everything is a bit more Magical in WDW. Please, go and enjoy. Take your cues what what you see there. And report back!

We vacation at Disney parks and on cruise line (and bought into the Vacation Club) due to gay-friendliness at these destinations. I agree that there are some guests who might give you the weird eye - but I find that they are much in the minority. The cast are wonderful - as they were during my 2006 WDW honeymoon, congratulating us openly and with enthusiasm.

We easily make a lot of friends with straight couples we meet in these trips.

No worries!:thumbsup2 My partner and I usually vacation at Disney at least once a year and we have never had any real problems. We have never gone during gays days either-too hot for me! We almost always refer to each other with terms of endearment and not by our actual names. Hunny, etc. I do ocassionally get a glance when waiting in line when we are holding hands and referring to each other as hunny or whatever. But nothing unusual. That happens to us even here in Chicago.

During our honeymoon in 2001 (yes of course disney!) we even were more affectionate than normal. PDA was sooo romantic then! Sorry if any of you had to endure it. :lmao:

I agree with ConcKahuna. I feel like some CMs at disney have gone out of there way to be more friendly or accommodating to us because we are "family!"

So don't worry. Go to Disney and have a blast!!!

Thanks for all of your comments. I really appreciate it. It'll definitely ease our minds.
And don't worry about PDA, we go as far as holding hands and calling each other babe. :thumbsup2 Mainly because we cannot do so here.

M.

I agree with the others, don't worry, go have fun, I don't think anyone will notice and if they do so what? LOL
we saw many couples holding hands, gay straight, etc........my kids didn't even bat an eye or notice. but then again it all looks just like what is it to them, people holding hands.
they have been on vacations to places like provincetown and ogunquit, they know that there are couples of all genders in love!!

I've never had a problem with other guests or CMs. Relax and have a good time! No one is going to bug you, I don't think.

Disneyland is very much the same way. My man and I will occasionally hold hands and do pecks on the cheek and no one really seems to notice. Once in a while you'll get a gawker but not really notice. The CM's are all gay or gay friendly (I mean you have to be to work there right?)

But now that we're legally married It's almost emboldening. No wonder "they" didn't want us to get married, they knew once we did we would get all uppity and start thinking we were like normal folk. Once someone sits at the front of the bus it's hard to make them sit in the back ever again
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

No wonder "they" didn't want us to get married, they knew once we did we would get all uppity and start thinking we were like normal folk. Once someone sits at the front of the bus it's hard to make them sit in the back ever again
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

What's normal?? :rotfl: and who says??:cool1:

Hunny and I almost always are holding hands while at Disney. We call each other hunny or sweetheart without any worry. Yep we even sneak the occosional kiss in. (just a small one - PDA is not our style!) If I want a "real" kiss - I wait for the room....more fun that way!

Disney has made it very easy to feel comfortable and free. Yea, occosionally someone says something stupid - but we just stare them down usually. Amazing how quick they do back down!

We feel completely comfortable and are willing to be open about our relationship. The only funny thing that has happened....on the cruise one time we asked for the bed to be left together -the steward split it - we put it back. the next night the same thing - so we caught him in the hall and told him we are a couple. He looked blankly at us for all of 5 seconds then a big smile and he said ok...no more split bed!

Yeah, half the cast is gay, and because of that, you really do have to be gay friendly, or you're missing half your tounge from biting it.

It's Disney, it's for kids, so keep actions kid appropriate. But hold hands, hold each other, kiss during the fireworks. And be in your own little world, just like every one else is.

I think you'll be fine. I personally am a CSP and prefer to see minimal PDA from anyone (gay straight or undecided!) . I just don't like knowing you have a tounge ring when I am standing 20 ft from you cause you are playing tonsil hockey outside the mouth.....I'm prety sure tonsils are INSIDE your mouth ;) .

As a mom to a 3 and 4 yo, you may hear a small child question their parents why are those 2 men/2 women kissing. I have no apoligies for he answer the parents give (my husband and I see VERY differently on this subject and would give a rude answer, I however would use this an an oppertunity to talk to them about the different mommies and daddies people have and that men can love men or women and vice versa with women.) just pointing out that small children have no learned the ;things you don't ask.....

My 4 you pointed out the Little Person that was astanding in front of us in a store and of course said... :Mmom, he is no little...why is he so little, /I am embarassed beyond belief. It ws a lesson that people are different but can different.

And before my sleeping pills kick in too much more

goodnihgt

I walked down main street USA holding my bf's hand with mickey top hats on and no one blinked. I think that explains it all. Btw that was after proposing to him in front of the partner statue in front of the castle

I'm a straight woman (although I have female celebrity crushes.... but that is a whole other story :lmao: ) In any case, I wouldn't be bothered or offended at all by it. If my kiddle asked questions, I would simply tell her that some men and women fall in love with people of the same sex and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If you do encounter any intolerant ppl... I suggest you just feel as bad for them as I do :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter