Worse steak on Disney World property?

I have heard some bad things about rainforest cafe. But I had the steak medium rare there about 2 years ago and it was amazingly very good and tender, not “chewy”. And my husband had his rare and he is very picky and he said it was his favorite restaurant besides ohana on Disney property. We were on the Disney dining plan and had a sit down every night.

Honestly on my last trip, it was a while ago, but I really didn’t have a “bad” steak.

I think anywhere the steak is thrown on the menu just to appease picky eaters you shouldn't expect the best quality steak. They're usually still fine, though I have run into a few fatty/gristly ones.

My main issue with restaurants at WDW is the lack of consistency. One person will tell you they had the worst steak ever somewhere, and another person will say it was the best steak on property. The worst steak I ever had was at Le Cellier, and this was back when everyone raved about their steaks.

Worst by far was the new York strip from Grand Floridian Café. 3 of us at the same table ordered this and all agreed on the same points. Flavorless, low quality, thin cut, overcooked, and had this texture that was seriously odd. Almost like it had a rubbery texture like beef you get when you order beef and broccoli from a Chinese place.

Probably have to add...as compared to price. So, in other words, value.

That said, my fav was at Yak 'n' Yeti years ago, don't think its on their menu anymore.

Last July my DH paid $75 for the ribeye at Cali Grill. He said is was bad. As Midwesterners, maybe it wasn't the best choice to go to FL and expect good steak. Maybe you shouldn't either. :confused3

I think it’s a little unfair to judge Rainforest Cafe’ on their steak as it’s not like it’s their a steak house.

However, Le Cellier which specializes in steak can be judged and I found it to be lacking.

This is why I hate getting steak at restaurants because I have very rarely found one better than I can grill on my own.

I think it’s a little unfair to judge Rainforest Cafe’ on their steak as it’s not like it’s their a steak house.

However, Le Cellier which specializes in steak can be judged and I found it to be lacking.

This is why I hate getting steak at restaurants because I have very rarely found one better than I can grill on my own.

I was not expecting amazing, but the garlic butter on top, and it was grilled really well, flavorful, and wasn’t tough. Maybe we went on an excellent night. But it was a lot better than what we both expected. I almost ordered a burger but my daughter who was 2 wanted steak so I let her decide what I ordered, as well as picking restaurant choice. It was similar in quality to the steak houses we have here in New Orleans that night which said a lot.

I think you'll get a lot of differing opinions. A lot of people to not like the steaks at Le Cellier. I find them to be the best on property and had them served at my wedding. I don't like the steak at Ohana, I've found them either to be burnt to a crisp or really fatty, and I love that restaurant.

Bad steaks at WDW are anecdotal: A poor cut of meat (gristly, not tender, irregular marbling), poor technique (not cooked as ordered, over-/underseasoned) or a bad recipe (totally subjective--you just don't like a sauce or the presentation) could happen just about anywhere. If this thread goes on long enough, someone is bound to mention almost every restaurant. I don't think anyplace is consistently bad with their steaks.

I've had good steaks where it wasn't expected (ie, a cheaper 1TS place) and have sent steaks back to the kitchen at Signatures. The 2 worst ever were at San Angel Inn (cooked until dark gray throughout and a horrible piece of meat to begin with) and Artist Point back when it was a Signature (a bison steak that was butchered with the grain, making it essentially inedible). But I've had good steak experiences at those same places.

I've only had excellent steaks at Jiko, bluezoo, and Bull & Bear. I do agree with some of the Le Cellier comments. Minus the sauce, their famed filet just seemed like OK grocery store meat; ie, not particularly flavorful and likely not aged as long as you'd expect for the price. I actually like the non-steak food at LC, so I still eat there.

The 2 worst ever were at San Angel Inn (cooked until dark gray throughout and a horrible piece of meat to begin with) and Artist Point back when it was a Signature (a bison steak that was butchered with the grain, making it essentially inedible). But I've had good steak experiences at those same places.

How funny. I've had the steak twice at San Angel Inn twice and both times it was perfectly medium rare and absolutely delicious. Then again, my family loves this restaurant and many don't.

To the OP, just another example of a "Disney steak anecdote." :earboy2:

Ditto. I can make a steak at home as good as any I've ever had at a restaurant.

Part of the problem about asking for best/worst here is people have wildly differing opinions on what make a meal "good" or "bad".

Echoing the comments about Le Cellier. For the hype and the fact that it's a steak house, very underwhelming!
I agree! It is seriously one of the worst steaks I have had in my 37 years of life, not just at Disney. For Disney it IS the worst. Overcooked, tough, chewy, over salted... and the server or manager didn't care that it was so horrible.

I agree! It is seriously one of the worst steaks I have had in my 37 years of life, not just at Disney. For Disney it IS the worst. Overcooked, tough, chewy, over salted... and the server or manager didn't care that it was so horrible.

My dad still complains about the steak there to this day. I'm sure he would have made a bigger stink about it had we not been on the DDP.

Our family still fondly remembers Hook's Point at DL (not sure what it is today). That was always a highlight in our DL trips, some of the best steak we've ever had, not just best Disney steak :)

Actually. I’ve never had a bad steak at Disney. I get them medium well. As long as I don’t see pink. They are good.

Thank you for all the replies. I asked because several of the restaurants we have chosen this trip offer steak, which makes my husband happy. Unfortunately, I've never heard much about the steak at skippers canteen or rainforest cafe and these are 2 of the restaurants we want to eat at.

I was just curious as to where most people felt they experienced their worse steak onsite.

Thank you for all the replies. I asked because several of the restaurants we have chosen this trip offer steak, which makes my husband happy. Unfortunately, I've never heard much about the steak at skippers canteen or rainforest cafe and these are 2 of the restaurants we want to eat at.

I was just curious as to where most people felt they experienced their worse steak onsite.

I've had the steak at Skipper's a few times and it's usually fine. They cooked it the way I asked (medium to medium rare) every time, one time it was a bit fatty.

Out of the restaurants where I've had steak on Disney property which comes to around five from what I can account for the worst one IMO when taking everything into consideration was Le Cellier. For the cost of the steak it just was not worth it at all. The cut of meat wasn't anything near the cut you would receive at Shula's or even Yachtsman for that matter.

Strip steak at Sci-Fi. Flame grilled so that could be part of it. But still bad cut & gristle. I sent it back but replacement not much better. Maybe eating in the dark was a blessing this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter