Worst Things About Animal Kingdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree with everyone in saying that it can be the hottest park, even with the amount of trees, it gets very humid. I'd also agree on navigating. I'm perfectly comfortable walking around after having been there so much, but I know during my first few visits, it was difficult. It's not like the other parks where you have a way to look up and get your bearings, you are constantly surrounded by trees. However, I also found the unique foliage such a positive. I don't have many outstanding negatives for DAK, as I think it's the second best of the domestic parks next to California's Disneyland.

Lack of benches. There used to be a number of them near Flame Tree BBQ (as an example); they have all been removed.
Easier access getting from point A to point B (as mentioned and mapped by other posters).
Not enough shaded areas.
Up Bird show. Flights of Wonder was better.

Seems very disconnected. Not easy to maneuver around. One path leading to another and another and another, but with the denseness of the trees, cant really see what is up ahead like you can with the other Parks.
And Dinoland. Why? Doesn't feel like your in a Disney Park when you're in that section. More like a county fair with the kiddie rides.
All of our WDW vacations, we just spend maybe 4 hours there. Only interest is basically the Safari Ride.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread. :dancer:

I had not read nor commented in the previous ones-
here’s my input which won’t make the podcast!!

I really disliked/hated the nemo show the first time we watched it.
Many years passed and I finally gave it another attempt last year-I felt like Pete going to a ‘bad restaurant’ with an open mind..
Still thought it was rubbish-won’t be going back!

The layout of the park is indeed rather confusing-however I have zero sense of direction.
From a wheelchair perspective I agree it’s not very user friendly.

I find the pre shows for flight of passage tedious, lengthy and unnecessary.
Whilst there; I’m thinking will this ever end?

I loved the pochohontas show.
Worst decision to remove honti & her friends.

Dh misses Tarzan rocks -in a big way.

Dd1 believes there are too many animals in D A K.

I see that some people missed the parade they had there, BUT the pathways weren't wide enough IMO. I worked as a contractor fixing credit card terminals in the parks for several months and sometimes I needed to get from one part of the park to another, but if the parade was going on, it was impossible!

It is time to put those thinking caps on those Disney Imagineers! Wind tunnels. lol FL is known for its humidity and those trees not only eat it up but they help it stick around. There must be a way to help a strong breeze circulate the park! Let's Make Science Great Again! *wink

All the backtracking that needs to be done, to get from one section to another. (We walk more in this park than any of the others.) Lack of places to rest. Dinoland.

I agree with every statement listed (although also agree with someone saying epcot is a concrete jungle too of heat). But I would also like to add something that may be controversial or rolling of the eyes from some. After educating myself since Blackfish the movie I am against circuses and seaworld aquariums that make animals entertain us for money. I thought disney was better then what they have been doing in ak and have been disappointed that they use animals to train and entertain us. The birds in the entrance flying over our heads, the new bird show, and the jungle safari I question why the lions only are stuck on one damn rock every single time (so it's one rock or two rocks, then they go 'inside'? where do they run reallly fast? I never see that). I see other things too that seem not so natural but look natural to us. Just seems like smoke and mirrors to me, like an illusion that I often question as I go on the safari and see these shows. They're really not different from the other places just wanting to earn a buck, it's all for show. That's my soapbox, thanks.

I agree with every statement listed (although also agree with someone saying epcot is a concrete jungle too of heat). But I would also like to add something that may be controversial or rolling of the eyes from some. After educating myself since Blackfish the movie I am against circuses and seaworld aquariums that make animals entertain us for money. I thought disney was better then what they have been doing in ak and have been disappointed that they use animals to train and entertain us. The birds in the entrance flying over our heads, the new bird show, and the jungle safari I question why the lions only are stuck on one damn rock every single time (so it's one rock or two rocks, then they go 'inside'? where do they run reallly fast? I never see that). I see other things too that seem not so natural but look natural to us. Just seems like smoke and mirrors to me, like an illusion that I often question as I go on the safari and see these shows. They're really not different from the other places just wanting to earn a buck, it's all for show. That's my soapbox, thanks.

Well the Lion and lioness were getting quite natural the last Safari we went on. Seemed happy to me, even let out a roar after we were around the corner. Life is good being King I guess.

I question why the lions only are stuck on one damn rock every single time (so it's one rock or two rocks, then they go 'inside'?
From a Disney Fact site:

“The climate-controlled Rock at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Disney designers crafted a climate-controlled rock for Animal Kingdom - that is heated in winter and cooled in the summer. It is used to entice the lions to sit in an area of their enclosure which is easily viewable by safari guests.”

From a Disney Fact site:

Disney designers crafted a climate-controlled rock for Animal Kingdom - that is heated in winter and cooled in the summer. It is used to entice the lions to sit in an area of their enclosure which is easily viewable by safari guests.”
That and the fact Lions sleep the majority of the day.

My worst list:

1. Dinosaur. I didn't find it educational, entertaining, thrilling, or enjoyable in any way; just loud, unconvincing, unnecessarily jarring, and in a hard-to-get-in-and-out-of location. Additionally, my DS11 questioned, "Why did they pick the Cretaceous period? It's the least popular. All the -assic periods are better." It's only redeeming quality for me was that it had A/C. I withhold comment about the rest of Dinoland as none of the rides appeal to me enough to even try them.

2. Kilimanjaro Safari feels rushed. I feel like I'd enjoy it a bit more if they reduced ride capacity a bit and stopped a bit more along the way to let you actually watch the animals a bit.

3. Not enough shaded seating. There never seem to be places to sit down without baking in the sun.

4. I've never seen Rivers of Light because the park always wears my out by 5pm. (Again, in part due to lack of places to sit and take breaks, the heat, and all the walking back and forth from one side of the park to the other.) I haven't heard enough good things about it to make the effort to come back after dragging myself back to the hotel for a recharge.

They ruined Flights of Wonder bird show by changing it to include Doug and Russel from Up. I love the movie Up, but was embarrassed to bring my BIL and SIL to what I told them was a terrific bird show and ended up being a total flop!

From a Disney Fact site:

right. they manipulate the environment so guests on safari can view them. they place food in trees in certain spots so giraffes can be in certain spots. just seems contrived and unnatural to me. smoke and mirrors for the paying audience.

Most of the animals at AK are there because they were transferred from other zoo's, or rehabbed and unable to be returned to the wild. There are reports that some of the lions were going to be killed (culled) in the wild and were brought to AK instead. AK also has massive conservation efforts and rehabs animals. I'm OK with that, and am glad animals from other zoos get to be in AK as it is the cream of the crop for animal care. Also knowing human psychology as I do, these experiences up close with these animals serve to make humans feel concern and connection to them, a lot of them are either endangered or close to being on the list. Disney gives us a way to give money to help while becoming educated on these animals.

Dinoland is our least favorite part of the park. Also, I think Carl, (my favorite Disney character), could make an appearance at the UP show.

I find navigating the park to be more difficult than other Disney parks. I dont know if its the foliage or the immersiveness but I often feel a bit lost especially in the Harambe Market area having moments where I ask myself "where am I...which way do I go?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter