Worth it for non-morning people?

sandym718

DIS Veteran
Considering a trip this August before DD leaves for college. We’ve been 6 times before but never in summer and not since COVID. Thoughts on how well a trip would go for 4 adults who have no desire to be up and out at 7 am on vacation? Here’s what I’m thinking of:
-6 nights early August (with an additional night offsite to do Discovery Cove)
-We would definitely stay at the Polynesian (so Deluxe nights would be available to us)
-we’ve always done the regular Dining Plan. I understand that’s not a thing right now. We’re not huge breakfast eaters so probably just a pastry, etc from Captain Cook’s. If we do any sit-down meals, I would plan these for brunch or lunch. I see Cape May is reopening and would like to try that. But only thinking 2-3 ADR’s max. Other than that we’d do QS. I would probably pre-load Visa gift cards for all our food so we’d still have that “it’s paid for” feeling of the plan.
-My thoughts are that we’d spend mornings at the Poly. Sleep in, do some swimming, etc. We LOVE the resort. Maybe do both waterparks this trip. Maybe visit a couple resorts (if allowed) for QS lunches and just to see them, explore a bit. Then head into the parks around 3 or 4 and stay until closing, whenever that might be. And maybe some night swimming after since it will be hot. We are definitely all night owls.
What are thoughts on how this will work with Genie+ and the way things work these days? I know it’s unknown, but are the parks likely to be open late in August? I could see us doing maybe one or two mornings. Maybe for AK since it doesn’t stay open late? But generally a much more relaxed trip than we used to do. I know we’d have to be prepared to not be able to “do it all”. How much might we have to skip? While I don’t want to wake up at 7 daily to grab times, again I might be willing to do it a couple times. And I certainly wouldn’t mind grabbing times throughout the day as we lounge around, etc. We’d also be willing to pay for ILL (hope I have that right).
Thanks in advance for any thoughts! Trying to decide if this would be a worthwhile trip or if we’d end up spending a lot of $$ to just hang at the resort. As much as we love it, that’s too much money lol.

We just spent the 2 holiday weeks there and went very late each day. We loved genie plus. I got up and bought it on the days we wanted it and then went back to sleep. We didn’t get to a park before 11 most days and after 2 quite a bit. Late nights and genie for the rides we could get later in the day and it worked great. No complaints at all.

Just back from a 4 night trip, I am an early riser, wife and son are not. I would get up at 6:45 and book my 2 paid LL for late morning and early afternoon then lay back down and try to doze. Seemed to work out for everyone. The $15 Genie+ worked out well for a slow Epcot day, but seemed a waste for Hollywood Studios (one ride on a partial day, mainly getting stuck on Midway Mania for 2 hours on a posted 75 minute wait). A Friday at Magic Kingdom yielded 4 rides.

RE: the Visa. Do not use this. Use Disney Gift Cards. Visa will put a hold on each transaction including a 20% tip to all transactions and will be a PITA when trying to figure out your balances until all charges clear. They are frankly a nightmare to use at Disney.

As for non-early risers and Disney, we are in that group. DH despises getting up early and we only do it for a very special occasion. Disney doesn't count, LOL. We manage to do plenty

thank you for all the input! I think it’s a trip we could really enjoy. Still need to talk to the rest of the family. They really wanted to do a cruise this year but with island refusing entry, etc….I think we might want to wait on that. My husband doesn’t fly so Disney is about as close to “all-inclusive” as I can get, and that’s the kind of trip I’m wanting this year.

RE: the Visa. Do not use this. Use Disney Gift Cards. Visa will put a hold on each transaction including a 20% tip to all transactions and will be a PITA when trying to figure out your balances until all charges clear. They are frankly a nightmare to use at Disney.

oh thank you for this! I had no idea. I was just thinking in case we didn’t use it all, we’d be able to use them at home. If we go, I’ll stick with Disney gift cards. Charging back to the room is easy too, then I can just pay at the resort.
[/QUOTE]

You can definitely get a lot done especially in august by going in the afternoon for the start of your park day! A lot of people leave late afternoon early evening due to heat, tired kids & dinner time. On our honeymoon, my husband and I would go early to a park around 8-9, head back to the hotel around 1 to swim/nap and then head back to the parks around 5-close. It was great!

oh thank you for this! I had no idea. I was just thinking in case we didn’t use it all, we’d be able to use them at home. If we go, I’ll stick with Disney gift cards. Charging back to the room is easy too, then I can just pay at the resort.
[/QUOTE]

To have that "order what you want, it's paid for feeling" but keep things simple and flexible- I like to put what the Disney Dining Plan would have cost in a savings account before the trip and just charge everything to my cash back credit card (via magic band charge to resort). When the credit card bill arrives, there is more than enough waiting to pay off the meals.

As for making the most of getting to the parks late, I have seen quite a few reports of people making good use of genie+ by stacking late day reservations as soon as later times start opening up. You can check out the thread about Genie + strategies:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...gy-only-thread.3857056/page-136#post-63674124

Last edited:
You can definitely get a lot done especially in august by going in the afternoon for the start of your park day! A lot of people leave late afternoon early evening due to heat, tired kids & dinner time. On our honeymoon, my husband and I would go early to a park around 8-9, head back to the hotel around 1 to swim/nap and then head back to the parks around 5-close. It was great!

thanks! That’s what we used to do. Rope drop, afternoon swim break and then back to the parks. Last trip though…teenagers wanted to close the parks and then it was a struggle to get up in the morning. Just too much. So I think we’ll just skip the morning part and add an hour or two to the evening. And if we have to miss a few things…worth it to feel more relaxed!

To have that "order what you want, it's paid for feeling" but keep things simple and flexible- I like to put what the Disney Dining Plan would have cost in a savings account before the trip and just charge everything to my cash back credit card (via magic band charge to resort). When the credit card bill arrives, there is more than enough waiting to pay off the meals.

As for making the most of getting to the parks late, I have seen quite a few reports of people making good use of genie+ by stacking late day reservations as soon as later times start opening up. You can check out the thread about Genie + strategies:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...gy-only-thread.3857056/page-136#post-63674124[/QUOTE]

oh that’s a great idea too!! Lots of options to get the same “feel” without the plan! I will definitely check out those strategies,thanks!

thanks! That’s what we used to do. Rope drop, afternoon swim break and then back to the parks. Last trip though…teenagers wanted to close the parks and then it was a struggle to get up in the morning. Just too much. So I think we’ll just skip the morning part and add an hour or two to the evening. And if we have to miss a few things…worth it to feel more relaxed!
Absolutely ! The more we have gone, the less need to get it all done. The money is for your enjoyment and relaxation, not just to get everything in you can. Enjoy the relaxed mornings & less night crowds !

I have DAS and I’m a super night owl also. With AK, the problem is kilamanjaro safaris and other animal things- if you go there late, you might not be able to do safari, so I’d recommend getting in at 11am or so. Epcot, MK are great evening parks.

If you want to buy ILL for RotR and/or FoP, you will need to purchase these things at 7 am, since they both often sell out very early. With ILL, you can choose your time, so that makes it easier. With G+, you get the time they're showing on the app, so it's a bit more difficult to fiddle with.

Using Genie+ In the afternoon / evenings has worked brilliantly for us. In fact, I don’t know if we will rope drop once on our next trip. By the time we walk into our park of choice we already have multiple rides booked and can enjoy the park at a more relaxed pace. Definitely worth the price for us and seems to work great with our touring style.

I'm coming with 3 teenagers and a husband who hates waking up early. I'm a 5am riser! This makes me feel so much better. Is the last few hours the parks is open emptier? I'm seeing people say in other threads to do rope drop because it's a slower time. Is closing a slowing time too? I'm trying to not over plan because my kids made a comment about how stressed I was on our last vacation. I'm trying to let things go and let them lead but I also want to make the best of our trip. We have never been to DW before. We are west coasters.

I'm coming with 3 teenagers and a husband who hates waking up early. I'm a 5am riser! This makes me feel so much better. Is the last few hours the parks is open emptier? I'm seeing people say in other threads to do rope drop because it's a slower time. Is closing a slowing time too? I'm trying to not over plan because my kids made a comment about how stressed I was on our last vacation. I'm trying to let things go and let them lead but I also want to make the best of our trip. We have never been to DW before. We are west coasters.
Typically crowds are lower in the last few hours of the day, but it can really vary. Sometimes it’s hard to tell and other times it’s exceptionally obvious. Wait times will often be inflated at the end of the night - sometimes by a bit and sometimes by a lot.

If I had to choose between park open or park close, I prefer park close. The parks at night are wonderful.

If you want to buy ILL for RotR and/or FoP, you will need to purchase these things at 7 am, since they both often sell out very early. With ILL, you can choose your time, so that makes it easier. With G+, you get the time they're showing on the app, so it's a bit more difficult to fiddle with.
Thank you! I know DH and the kids will want to do FOP (I cannot). If we book the trip, I’m thinking we’d make AK our one early day. So we’d be up and get FoP and then hit rope drop. RotR…we’re not huge Star Wars people at all. But I’m sure they’d like to try it. Maybe just get in line at the end of the day? Another one I’m not sure I can do. If someone else REALLY wants it..maybe they can get up and do it lol.

Thank you! I know DH and the kids will want to do FOP (I cannot). If we book the trip, I’m thinking we’d make AK our one early day. So we’d be up and get FoP and then hit rope drop. RotR…we’re not huge Star Wars people at all. But I’m sure they’d like to try it. Maybe just get in line at the end of the day? Another one I’m not sure I can do. If someone else REALLY wants it..maybe they can get up and do it lol.
We're not huge Star Wars people either--or even minor Star Wars people--but RotR is an amazing experience (no spoilers here, and try to avoid them since there are wonderful surprises) and worth doing. And the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge area is beautifully done, so I recommend it. I'm not sure why you can't do FoP, but RotR is a completely different ride.

[
ha I am with you! My family also says I get way too stressed on our “vacation”. But I can’t help it! Especially with all these new Disney rules. Good luck to you! We are going in April!

Thanks for this post as I see there is hope for my family as well. I have a 26 year old special needs son and there will be no getting up at 7 am on our trip. Our goal is usually to make it by 2 pm. We almost always book the latest ADR times possible. Trying to learn the new Genie+ system before our trip in May but I was worried all times would be sold out in the evenings. You all are giving me hope. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter