Would a 7-night Eastern become mostly sea days if ports are still closed?

DIS_MIKE

DCL Commodore
I'm thinking about booking a 7-night and really looking forward to visiting new ports (Tortola and St. Thomas) but I feel like the return will be slow with not many ports open. How does everyone else feel about this? A 7-night is costly with many attractive ports but if these countries remain closed you'll just be circling around in the ocean but still paying that premium price.

I know we'd get the port fees refunded but the cruise would just be all sea days with a possible stop at CC. So I feel it's not worth booking the cruise because of too much uncertainty.

I also found a 4-night but if Nassau is canceled I wouldn't really care because we usually stay on the ship. So I'm thinking the 4-night would be the better move at this time. Of course the chances of these ships resuming sailings (this summer) is also pretty slim as well so there's always that factor.

I'm waiting for the 2022 slots to get dropped and probably better off booking further out to be on the safe side.

I'm thinking about booking a 7-night and really looking forward to visiting new ports (Tortola and St. Thomas) but I feel like the return will be slow with not many ports open. How does everyone else feel about this? A 7-night is costly with many attractive ports but if these countries remain closed you'll just be circling around in the ocean but still paying that premium price.

I know we'd get the port fees refunded but the cruise would just be all sea days with a possible stop at CC. So I feel it's not worth booking the cruise because of too much uncertainty.

I also found a 4-night but if Nassau is canceled I wouldn't really care because we usually stay on the ship. So I'm thinking the 4-night would be the better move at this time. Of course the chances of these ships resuming sailings (this summer) is also pretty slim as well so there's always that factor.

I'm waiting for the 2022 slots to get dropped and probably better off booking further out to be on the safe side.

A cruise without ports other than CC would be great IMO. We have three 7 night and one 14 night cruises booked right now. I figure the 14 night EBPC will not be sailing but hope the others do.

If other ports are not a possibility, it would be nice if CC would be in the middle of the cruise rather than last day. It would break up the cruise plus I love the last full day being at sea. We've had a couple DCL cruises with a sea day at the end....heaven IMO. Such a relaxing way to end the cruise.

Based on what happened on the Panama Canal cruise in March when COVID hit, that is very possible.

Now this wasn’t a super huge deal on WBPC to us because that itinerary is more about sea days anyway. But we did end up with ten days at sea. 11 if you count Panama Canal day as a sea day. We got off the ship twice, on day 3 and 4 of our 14 night sailing.

A cruise without ports other than CC would be great IMO. We have three 7 night and one 14 night cruises booked right now. I figure the 14 night EBPC will not be sailing but hope the others do.

If other ports are not a possibility, it would be nice if CC would be in the middle of the cruise rather than last day. It would break up the cruise plus I love the last full day being at sea. We've had a couple DCL cruises with a sea day at the end....heaven IMO. Such a relaxing way to end the cruise.

Missing ports on a Caribbean cruise is IMO very different from missing them on a European cruise if you have flown across the Atlantic for it. I don’t need to pay thousands to fly to Europe for a cruise to nowhere.

Haha I read the op as European not Eastern.

Missing ports on a Caribbean cruise is IMO very different from missing them on a European cruise if you have flown across the Atlantic for it. I don’t need to pay thousands to fly to Europe for a cruise to nowhere.

Haha I read the op as European not Eastern.

Haha back at you. I was wondering how Europe got thrown in the mix. So easy to misread a word and totally change a conversation.

A couple of months ago, there were talks of Disney working with authorities on St Thomas to develop an area at Magen’s Bay that would be set aside for use exclusively by cruisers on port days. There would be separate restrooms, chair availability, and drink (food?) runners. I think it was to be set up as a DCZl excursion to transport you to and from the beach park.

...and then lockdown continued for cruising and it was all a moot point for now. Don’t know if it’s scrapped or just simmering on the back stove.

Big as Magen’s Bay is, I would not like to see it with all the passengers dumped there!

Castaway Cay and nothing else would be fine with me on a 7 day.
We very nearly booked a HAL cruise in October 2019 from Vancouver to Honolulu, no ports at all. Decided on a Celebrity cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles instead.

We had the May 15th 7-night Eastern Caribbean all booked until it was canceled. I chose the cruise just for the long days at sea and a day on CC. We've been to Tortola and St. Thomas twice before. The EBPC (2013) was also a cruise we enjoyed; having multiple days just on the ship. Trans Atlantic and Hawai'i are on our list.
Visiting foreign ports is exciting but right now I just want to get on a ship and set sail. :sail:

We were on WBPC with otten above and yep, cancelled a lot of ports and had a buuuuuunch of sea days. DCL did wonderful and refunded (and made up for) us a lot more than just port fees. We're sticking with the 4 nighters for our next few until we see it back to "normal."

We have a 7 day eastern caribbean booked for Feb 22. If there are no ports except CC, I'm out. If they replaced other ports with CC days, waaay back in hahaha! Otherwise, thinking about pushing further into summer 22 now that they extended the FCC and placeholder credits.

We have a 7 day eastern caribbean booked for Feb 22. If there are no ports except CC, I'm out. If they replaced other ports with CC days, waaay back in hahaha! Otherwise, thinking about pushing further into summer 22 now that they extended the FCC and placeholder credits.

I think anyone planning to cruise while covid is still a thing needs to be prepared for the possibility of a cruise missing all ports or worse, ending early. This is why we’re moving our Northern European to 2022. It was one thing to miss all ports on the Panama Canal but would be quite another on a european

At this time, I think it would be safer to book a less expensive cruise and not caring too much about the ports... I have a feeling that many itineraries will change. If that was me, I’d book the 4 nights.

Also remember, if Nassau isn't letting anyone in, it is very likely that Castaway Cay isn't either since they are both Bahamian. It is possible that the government would allow Disney to Sail to the secluded island if staffed according to their restrictions. But right now, who knows.

At this time, I think it would be safer to book a less expensive cruise and not caring too much about the ports... I have a feeling that many itineraries will change. If that was me, I’d book the 4 nights.
I feel that is the best course of action right now if I want to try to get on a cruise this year. Otherwise I need to wait for 2022 to open up and book something a year+ out.

Also remember, if Nassau isn't letting anyone in, it is very likely that Castaway Cay isn't either since they are both Bahamian. It is possible that the government would allow Disney to Sail to the secluded island if staffed according to their restrictions. But right now, who knows.
I didn't factor that in either...who knows is right.

I appreciate everyone chiming in and I love how so many of you would totally be fine with 7 full sea days (Palo brunch, anyone?) I think what it really comes down to is just getting back onboard. Most of us are ready and willing to put up with the new guidelines and protocols even if that means no ports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter