• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would a teen going to a movie alone be weird?

My son's friend was getting dropped off and his Mom finally sent in a spy. He was meeting a group of girls and sitting with one particular girl. Not saying your son is doing that but it's possible. How old is he?

He will be 15 next week but he has a very small circle of friends so I don't know where he would meet a mystery person. He was also fine with any day this week or time so it wasn't like he had some prearranged thing going on.

From the perspective of other teens, my DD and her friends said no way, not cool. It was my DD and 2 girls who are all 17 and one guy who is 18 and when I mentioned it, I got these looks :scared1: :eek: They were of the opinion that a kid would be viewed as someone who didn't have any friends. Don't shoot the messenger. I am only relating what they said when I mentioned it. They're teens. They view things a bit differently at times. DS ended up being very pleased with reconnecting with this kid he hadn't seen in awhile so it all worked out. I'll deal with it if it is ever brought up again. The theater was practically empty, FTR.

I would think it was more 'weird' if he couldn't go to a movie alone.

This. I've met those people, who are like 'oh, I wanted to see that but no one else did and I couldn't just go by myself...' I find that sad and bizarre, unless they're members of an actual chain gang or conjoined twins, heh.

I go to the movies alone all the time, and did as a kid. I'll go with friends too but I kind of prefer alone. No one talks, no one eats popcorn next to me (I don't like popcorn or the smell of popcorn), I can see what I want when I want and sit where I want, with no negotiation required.

Be happy he's not a sheeple or needy and yes, check your hangups at the door. ;) At least you recognized it might be you!

popcorn:: <--- ick.

DS asked me to drop him off at a movie today......alone. :confused3 He wanted to see a movie and couldn't find anyone to go so he wanted to go alone. He was totally fine with it and thought I was strange for thinking it was weird. I couldn't come up with a valid reason for my thoughts.

It ended up working out. I suggested he contact a kid that he hasn't been able to hook up with much this summer. He was available and they are at the movie now!

The only thing I could think was that maybe I was subconsciously worried about him running into someone he knew and when they found out he was alone, they would think he was weird. I'm just guessing, though. I really don't know. It isn't his age or a safety issue.

I asked DH and his only comment was if anyone could be totally comfortable going to a movie alone as a teen, it would be our son.

So would it be a weird thing for a teenager to do or is it just a weird hangup of mine?

I don't think it's weird. I love going to movies alone and have since I was a teenager. But I like being by myself in general. Now that psychos are shooting up movies I'd be more worried about personal safety rather than people thinking he's weird.

DS is like this.

He is an only child, and always wanted to go places like the YMCA and local city events by himself.

I never wanted him to. I was always the "need to be with friends" type growing up.

I finally realized that I didn't want him to go by himself because *I* never would go by myself.

He likes the independence to do what he wants and not be tied down to hanging out with the person(s) he showed up with to activities/events.

I don't think it's weird. I love going to movies alone and have since I was a teenager. But I like being by myself in general. Now that psychos are shooting up movies I'd be more worried about personal safety rather than people thinking he's weird.

C'mon. Psychos aren't shooting up movies.

One guy committed a shooting at one movie.

Same as a guy committed a shooting at a cafeteria in Texas that time.

Same as numerous people have shot up post offices.

Same as numerous people have shot up schools.

Same as etc., etc., etc. Has nothing to do with anything than that that's where that guy chose to commit the crime he was going to commit. It doesn't make movies less safe.

I don't think its weird at all, but dd wouldn't do it. Older ds probably wouldn't either and for both of them it would be for the reasons your dd mentioned. Younger ds would, not because he is a loner or anything but because he has never been one to care what anyone else thinks. And if he wanted to see a movie and no one would go; he would go.

When I was a young teen, I was terribly shy and a bit anti-social. There were many times that I would opt to stay home rather than going places with my friends. My mom more or less made me go to some kind of special event they were having at the theater for teens, by myself. I was terrified BUT, I had a good time and it got me over a lot of the shyness and not wanting to go anywhere. Of course, by the same time the next year, I think she regretted it because I ALWAYS wanted to go somewhere then :rotfl:

Not wierd at all....sounds like an independent kid that doesn't need to be around friends or doing what they are doing all day.

Nope, not weird at all. sounds like a confident, independent guy!:thumbsup2

This! Be thrilled he is comfortable enough with himself that he does what he wants without worrying about how it appears to others.

DS asked me to drop him off at a movie today......alone. :confused3 He wanted to see a movie and couldn't find anyone to go so he wanted to go alone. He was totally fine with it and thought I was strange for thinking it was weird. I couldn't come up with a valid reason for my thoughts.

It ended up working out. I suggested he contact a kid that he hasn't been able to hook up with much this summer. He was available and they are at the movie now!

The only thing I could think was that maybe I was subconsciously worried about him running into someone he knew and when they found out he was alone, they would think he was weird. I'm just guessing, though. I really don't know. It isn't his age or a safety issue.

I asked DH and his only comment was if anyone could be totally comfortable going to a movie alone as a teen, it would be our son.

So would it be a weird thing for a teenager to do or is it just a weird hangup of mine?
I have 3 teens and I would have done what you did. I would have encouraged them to go with someone. That being said, I think all 3of my sons would be fine going to a movie alone.

I use to go to the movies by myself all the time when I was a kid and NOW. In fact, I prefer it. I personally go to the movies to enjoy the film without the distraction of others. Otherwise, why pay so much money only to have the person next you talk, chew, etc. This is another reason why I always go for the matinee (less crowds). I am paying for the movie experience, not the social experience, as I am a huge film buff. I am also comfortable in my own skin and don't need to have others validate my experience. I do have a couple of friends who are like me and we sometimes go together, but I like to totally immerse myself in the experience (like reading a good book), and that is best done alone. I also don't have a problem eating alone. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to see a movie by yourself.

I go to the movies by myself pretty often but the first time I mentioned going alone and my younger brother was around he looked at me like I had 10 heads and acted like it was the weirdest thing he'd ever heard. He's very much a social always in a crowd kind of guy (well at least he was then, it's been a couple of years ago and he was around 21 and in college) so the thought of doing anything alone was just unheard of. I will say the first couple of times I went alone I felt a little weird but now I don't think anything about it.

I see nothing wrong with a kid going to the movie theater alone. If it doesn't bother the kid to go alone, then it shouldn't bother anyone else

As long as the mom knows where he is and that it's in a safe area.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to think it was weird if it was a movie they wanted to see bad enough & not wait for it to come out on video.

I go to the movies by myself pretty often but the first time I mentioned going alone and my younger brother was around he looked at me like I had 10 heads and acted like it was the weirdest thing he'd ever heard. He's very much a social always in a crowd kind of guy (well at least he was then, it's been a couple of years ago and he was around 21 and in college) so the thought of doing anything alone was just unheard of. I will say the first couple of times I went alone I felt a little weird but now I don't think anything about it.

I think it is something that seems weirder to the more social, younger person. My DD is very social and has a large group of friends. She is perfectly capable of being alone. Her passion is reading and she can spend hours upon hours curled up with a good book cut off from the rest of civilization. But the thought of going to a movie alone is odd to her. A movie for her means meeting up with friends early, hanging out at the mall, grabbing dinner, going to see the show, and having coffee/tea after with friends. The movie is a pretty insignificant part of the night. Aside from a few must see films, for the most part they don't care what they see.

DS has a very small group of friends. He does many things on his own. He sees a movie to see the movie. He went with this friend yesterday and they only saw the movie. They didn't end up eating before or after or hanging out. They both went back to their respective homes and connected online to play on their PS3. Ugh! But such is his life compared to DD.

I originally thought the concept was weird myself but I am much more like DD. DS would be perfectly content so I'll leave it up to him next time. If he feels comfortable and confident, so be it.

I'd be glad my child was secure enough to not care and just go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter