Would a Universal Express Plus Pass be worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkerbell1986

Earning My Ears
Me and my partner (who is a wheelchair user) will be visiting Orlando next October.

We've both been before but separately. Last time Kris went was in 2000 and he was able to skip most queues to get on the rides. I believe (but not 100% sure) that most queues have now been mainstreamed, in which case we would have to queue in the normal lines.

Would it be worth us getting Express Passes or do Universal still allow disabled people to skip queues? I wouldn't mind having to pay to avoid the lines but I don't really want to pay and then find out it wasn't really worth the money as we could skip most lines without it.

Hope that makes sense.

Any help / advice much appreciated.

Laura x

:)

Just remembered this is a Disney forum not a Florida forum. I will post it on some of the Florida forums but there isn't usually a disabilities section so I don't know how much help I might get.

I know Universal isn't part of Disney but if anyone could give me any help at all I would be really grateful.

Thanks, Laura x

Most of the lines in Universal are wheelchair accessible and just having a wheelchair doesn't allow you to skip the lines.
There are some questions here at times about Universal that you might find if you do a search.
There is also a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread to the Rider's Guide from Universal, which talks about access.

Most of October is not very busy. I would wait until you get there before purchasing express as you might not need it at all.

If you stay in one of the Universal hotels (there are 3 I think) you get the front of the line pass without paying extra.

You'd have to price out the hotels vs. the premium tickets to see if it is worth it.

FWIW, we stayed at the Portofino Bay hotel and were very pleased.

I would avoid a night that they have the Scariest Halloween party going on. The crowds are terrible and they close so early. I did not have much trouble at Universal, but a whole different story over at Islands of Advanture. It was terrible there, so hot, packed like sardins, I could not take my daughters scooter in and a assisted device user myself had to push uphill for the Suess Train ride, that goes through the food court area. I was overcome from the heat and had to go to the aid station. Did three things at the park that day.

Then found out there was an elevator up but would only use it for someone unable to transfer to a wheelchair.
There persons there at the ride attractions are totally prompt to mainstream if you have to crawl to get on, no alternatives. At theone SUess ride, they would allow me to stay at the ride exit and my 10 yr old daughter would have to go through the que by herself!

So For the Universal I had assistance, for the island A, I would definatly have a purchased a pass.
dianne

We went to Universal this week, at Guest Relations, I showed them my children's GAC from WDW and they issued all 5 of us GAP's for the week.

So it definitely wouldn't be worth us paying extra for an express pass? Sounds good to me. More money to spend whilst we're there :-)

Thanks for the info!

Universal does not issue GAC's for people using w/c's- they do issue them for autistic children or someone with complex medical needs, etc. Still, waiting to gauge the crowds is a good idea, as is staying at one of their onsite hotels.---Kathy

Why don't they issue them to people using wheelchairs? I thought they were to identify the additional needs of disabled people. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick though.

We're not staying at a Universal hotel so wont be able to automatically get express passes. We'll probably wait to see how busy it is and buy them on the day if needed.

Why don't they issue them to people using wheelchairs?

The lines are wheelchair accessible and so there is no need to go through a seperate line.

Let's look at Disney first:
Of the 4 parks at Disney, only Animal Kingdom and MGM are wheelchair accessible on all the rides. So at AK and MGM , wheelchairs go though the regular lines. Both Magic Kingdom and Epcot were built before ADA* laws were enacted and so some of their lines are not ADA (wheelchair) compliant. On those few rides at MK and Epcot that aren't ADA complaint, you have to take wheelchairs through a different line just so you can get up to the ride. It is not a fastpass and many times those in wheelchairs actually have a longer wait.

At Universal and IoA both parks are ADA compliant meaning that wheelchairs can go through the regular line just as they do at Animal Kingdom and MGM.

*ADA is short for Americans with Disabilities Act which is a law that provides equal access for those with disabilities.

I knew US and IOA had mainstreamed queues but I still thought GACs were to identify a disabled person's additional needs. Is that not the case? So they assume that if you have a mobility disability and use a wheelchair you do not have additional needs?

Actually I just remembered I emailed Universal a while ago about this. I've just found the email in my archive. I wrote;

Myself and my partner (who uses a wheelchair) will be coming to Florida from the UK next October and visiting the Universal Parks. Would we need to visit Guest Services for a Guest Assistance Cass or similar?

Your help would be much appreciated.

And they replied;

Thank you for contacting Universal Orlando®. Our resort has been carefully designed, and our staff specifically trained, to help our guests who may need assistance. For the convenience of our guests with special needs, various types of assistance passes are available. Please visit Guest Services upon your arrival so that we may arrange to meet your individual requirements. I recommend you visit http://www.universalorlando.com/riders_guide.pdf for our Rider’s Guide to Rider Safety and Guests with Disabilities.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We look forward to providing the greatest entertainment experience.

Best Regards

It seems what they have said is contrary to what I have been told on here.

I still thought GACs were to identify a disabled person's additional needs.

They are if you have other needs. They are called GAPs at Universal. If you sprained your ankle and are only in a wheelchair for that, you don't need a GAP. The wheelchair goes through the regular line.

So they assume that if you have a mobility disability and use a wheelchair you do not have additional needs?
No one is assuming anything. Just because you are in a wheelchair does not necessarily mean you need a GAP. If you have other needs that you need accomodation for then, by all means, stop by guest services and let them know. Universal has GAP (Guest Assistance Passes). You do not need a doctor's note just be able to tell them what assistance you need at Guest Services.

There are several types of GAP:

Stroller as a wheelchair (you can take your stroller right through the line without transferring to a wheelchair)

Show GAP (Special seating at shows--usually right up front for visually or hearing impaired)

Stairs GAP (for those rides that have stairs in the queue, you can use the elevator)

Familyroom GAP (where you wait in an airconditioned room with a few other family members while the rest of your family goes through the queue--then you join them at the front of the line)

Express GAP which is essentially like a fast pass at Disney all day (6 people maximum)

VIP Gap (back door access--mostly for Make a Wish Kids or Give Kids the World)

So who is entitled to an Express GAP?

You said; "Just because you are in a wheelchair does not necessarily mean you need a GAP". Surely a wheelchair user would need a Stairs GAP? Or I am being completely stupid here?

Anyone who is not capable of waiting in lines.

You said; "Just because you are in a wheelchair does not necessarily mean you need a GAP". Surely a wheelchair user would need a Stairs GAP? Or I am being completely stupid here?
If you are in a wheelchair, they will direct you to the elevators without needing a GAP. If you aren't using a wheelchair, a walker, nor a cane, you would need a GAP- stairs. An example would be if you normally walk but have a balance problem on stairs, in that case you would need a GAP to use the elevator.

The policy at Universal is similar to the policy at Disney. If a person has mobility and/or stamina problems it is suggested to them that they use a wheelchair or ECV. The GAC/GAP is designed for people with "invisible" disabilities. A chair user will get a GAC/GAP when they have additional needs, such as a person in a chair who also has severe hearing problems and needs to sit up front for a how where there is sign language interpretation.

Normally a GAC/GAP will not allow a person to skip a line. At Disney Fastpasses are free which cuts down the time actually in line. The Universal Express Pass does the same thing, but are given to anyone staying in a Hotel on Universal Property or people who are willing to pay for the privledge.

There is an express GAC/GAP, but these are extremely limited, normally they are only given to families with a child on a Wish Trip.

No, they would not.
The GAC at WDW and the GAP at Universal are for invisible needs. The CMs can see someone is using a wheelchair and because of the wheelchair they would not be able to use the stairs. So, the person using a wheelchair would be routed around the stairs without having a GAP.
The Stairs GAP would be for things that are not visible; as in these examples - a person with arthritis in their knees who can't climb stairs, someone with an artificial leg who would find it difficult to climb stairs. The GAC or GAC would be used to let the staff know the person needs to avoid that part of the queue.

Some people using wheelchairs have their needs met just by having an accessible line. Those people would not need a GAC/GAP. Some people using wheelchairs have needs in addition to their need for an accessible line/entrance. If those needs are not readily visible, they would need a GAC/GAP to let the staff know about those needs.

Thanks for the info.

Who would be incapable of waiting in line?
You are not going to get an answer to this.

The mechanism for requesting a GAC or GAP is the same at Disney and at Universal.
The person with a disability goes to Guest Relations in the park and explains what their needs are. The staff in Guest Relations will give a GAC or GAP with messages on it that help the attraction staff to know what sorts of assistance that person needs. So, the GAC or GAP is a tool to help staff at attractions meet your needs.

If you don't feel the GAC/GAP you have been given meets your needs, you are always free to go back to Guest Relations and try to clarify your needs.

For more information about GACs, there is a section in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

I am closing this thread at this point because the questions have been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter