Would GAC work for me?

allie_to_you

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes...
I have severe plantar facitis and usually after just a couple hours of walking or standing in the parks, I am in major pain. Unfortunately, I usually can't afford the steep prices for an ECV or wheelchair and since my DH is confined to a wheelchair, I have to be able to help push him sometimes anyway. My questions is whether I'd be allowed to get a GAC and if it would do me any good or help so that I don't have to stand for so long in some the the incredibly long que lines. It's not that I want a front-of-the line pass, but it's extremeley hard on some rides, like KS where there is no place to sit down, but the wait times can get upward of an hour or more.

A GAC is not a front of the line pass. If your husband is in a wheelchair then you should not need a card as his will do for both of you.

A GAC is not a front of the line pass. If your husband is in a wheelchair then you should not need a card as his will do for both of you.
He may or may not need a GAC with a wheelchair. It depends on what needs he has besides the need for an accessible entrance.

For the OP, if you haven't read the GAC information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, I'd suggest you look there. A GAC may not be that helpful for your situation because the walk will be the same length, GAC or no GAC and many of the attractions have no place to sit.
For K Safari, there are not places to sit while you wait in line and since your DH has a wheelchair, you will need to use the wheelchair boarding area, which can take longer.
For the type of problems you are describing, WDW usually recommends a wheelchair or ECV since a GAC will only help in lines and the walking you do in lines is only a small portion of the walking you will do at the park.

I would highly recommend checking into TourGuide Mike (a Theme Parks Board Sponsor) because his service can help you to figure out where to be when to avoid long lines. You will still have to contend with walking the long distances that a trip to WDW involves (you may walk between 3 and 9 miles a day), but it will be easier getting around with less people and you will find your waits in line should be shorter.

Also, I've seen lots of posts from people who swear by Crocs for helping them avoid pain from plantar facitis, so you might want to give them a try.

I've had plantar fasciitis as well (got it from walking in Red Wing shoes at Disney btw!) so I can relate to the pain you feel. ugh.

Personally, I had shots in my foot (didn't help), had orthodics made - helped after time but took months. Podiatrist told me to wear heels :confused3 b'c it elevated my heel and took the pressure off them. It helped except I had trouble with balance then! :rotfl2: I find that icing my feet and elevating them helped. Also used a ball (size of a tennis ball) with nubs on them and rolled my foot on that everyday to help the pain.

Met a skycap wearing these z-coil shoes recently, asked him about them and he said he had P/F and these really help. Of course, they can't be cheap but they might be work a look. (Looks like the closest store to Mobile is in Gulfport, MS - ~64 miles.)

just an idea. good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter