Would it be wise to get a GAC?

peanut1967

DIS Veteran
We will be taking out foster child to WDW in August. He will be 10, Although he is around 3 - 5 yrs in mental age ,he has RAD..Reactive Attachement Disorder & ADHD, his behavour is very poor although at times he can be fine. All the problems that come with both conditions we have, although he his so much better than a year ago. So my question is would it be wise to get a GAC?

thanks for reading

It is hard to say about the GAC. The child's diagnosis are not as important as figuring out what Disney could do to help you. My son has autism, Down Syndrome, and will (STILL at age 19) just wander away from us. We found it very helpful to use an older child sized stroller (McClaren) as a wheelchair. It solves the wandering off thing, and also keeps the child from touching other people, sort of gives the child a bubble of space he would not get if walking. Using it on lines, and in buildings that normally prohibit strollers (like the Land in Epcot for example) is great. Some kids with various spectrum diagnosis (like my nephew with aspbergers)also like to carry things like Gameboys to play with while on lines, as strange as it sounds. Seems to comfort them, distract them......

And of course, Fast Pass is a godsend.

We often go in August, so the heat will be another challenge, go to parks early or late.

if you have not looked at it yet, I would suggest you check out the information about GACs in post #6 of the disabilities FAQs thread - there is a link to that thread in my signature.

One thing to keep in mind is that the GAC will only help with attractions. In many cases, the crowds getting to and from places can be just or even more of a problem. A lot if people have posted that knowing where and when to go to avoid the crowds is even more helpful than a GAC. Each park has busy days and busy times. I'd you know that, you can avoid that park andgo somewhere less stressful. TourGuide Mike is one website people have used to deal with that.

We just returned from WDW on March 1st.This was the first time we used a GAC card.My 4 year old has Asperger's/High Functioning autism.We went to City Hall on Main Street and simply asked for the card (the cast member was wonderful:worship: ..no questions besides "how many people in your party?")He stamped the card with a stamp that helped a lot.
At the Haunted Mansion we had a private viewing in the first room where you stand and the pictures get longer and it's dark.That worked out very well because that room tends to be very crowded.The main things with my son are the waiting,the crowds and noises.As far as waiting in line he is unpredictable.definetly ,if you can swing it,travel when the crowds are low.In general we go in September ,avoiding the holidays,and the crows and lines are extremely low.I hope your experience with the card if you choose to get it,is as good as ours! Have a magical trip :):yay:

At Disneyland I saw a lot more kids under age 8 on leashes and most were the animal backpacks or harness type. I agree that the idle mind leads to anxiety and stress and wanders around until it gets into trouble. As stated the kid will do better with busy work, music or games. Ear plugs or muffs if sound sensitive.

For lines and crowds have one person in front to make a space between the child and the rest of the crowd. For a kid who does not handle crowds do not use the handicapped areas for parades and fireworks as they are elbow to elbow packed. Instead find a nice spot on the route and stretch out. If you have at least four people in your group then two can spot sit and one can take the kid for a walk and site see for a while.

Planning is key and knowing when the kid is over their stress and anxiety level. It is like the tea kettle lets of a bit of steam then it whistles shriller and shriller then you finally smell the burning kettle. You know that in so many minutes it will be boiling and are there to remove it from the stove thus is with neurovariants and anyone with limitations. I know my knees can take so much and I plan around them. Planning with things like early entry and low seasons helps.

big hugs and chocolates.
Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter