Would it help us to get a GAC?

GirlDreamer

DIS Veteran
I've started to consider the idea of getting a GAC for my boyfriend. The reason is that he's had some issues since he was a little kid, that he'll have to go to a toilet quite suddenly without any notice so to speak (it's nr 2's if anyone's wondering). And he has had accidents before if he can't get to a toilet quickly enough. I don't think it would be too much of an issue as we're going in sept and it should be fairly quiet and we can use FP on busy rides, but I really don't want this to put a damper on our holiday. I'm just afraid that if we do end up in a long queue and would suddenly have to leave it to find a toilet for him.

Would it help to get a GAC? Or do you guys have any advice on how to make our holiday as smooth as possible without this becoming too much of a problem?

I'm not too worried on my behalf, as I've been to WDW several times before, but this is his very first visit. He's also very sensitive and embarrassed about this, and no matter how much I assure him that it won't ruin my holiday, I know he won't stop worrying about it.

What are you thinking the GAC would do for you? It's not a front of the line card. If you asked for alternate waiting area, you could end up waiting even longer than the main line. I think investing in a good touring plan and using fastpasses will help you more than anything. And making sure you know where the nearest restroom is.

I've started to consider the idea of getting a GAC for my boyfriend. The reason is that he's had some issues since he was a little kid, that he'll have to go to a toilet quite suddenly without any notice so to speak (it's nr 2's if anyone's wondering). And he has had accidents before if he can't get to a toilet quickly enough. I don't think it would be too much of an issue as we're going in sept and it should be fairly quiet and we can use FP on busy rides, but I really don't want this to put a damper on our holiday. I'm just afraid that if we do end up in a long queue and would suddenly have to leave it to find a toilet for him.

Would it help to get a GAC? Or do you guys have any advice on how to make our holiday as smooth as possible without this becoming too much of a problem?

I'm not too worried on my behalf, as I've been to WDW several times before, but this is his very first visit. He's also very sensitive and embarrassed about this, and no matter how much I assure him that it won't ruin my holiday, I know he won't stop worrying about it.

A GAC will likely do you no good. I would get some adult diapers. They can be worn discreetly, and as PP suggested, know where the restrooms are before getting in line.

GACs do not shorten wait times. I don't know what a GAC can do for you.

My 14yo and I both have stomach problems and my 11yo has a bladder problem. I really do understand that sense of urgency and the issues associated with it. There just isn't anything that a GAC can do to help the problem.

What DOES make a big difference is a really good touring plan and efficient use of fastpasses to keep waits to a minimum. We don't get in a long queue. We just don't. We do this using a really efficient touring plan. I'm a huge fan of easywdw.com. In addition, regular bathroom breaks even when you don't feel the need makes a difference as does making sure to stay really well hydrated and making sure to stick with foods that he knows don't upset his stomach.

If he's having this level of issue, is he seeing a gastroenterologist so that he can try to get a handle on the problem? It's amazing just what can be done via diet, medication and supplements if you know just what the underlying problem is (and some trial and error with diet can help as well).

Just reiterating what others have said - A GAC really won't help much for needing to leave lines suddenly. And as others have stated, it can actually increase your wait time.

A good touring plan and knowing where all the bathrooms are would be a good idea. There is no way to see the front of the lines from the queue entrance most of the time, so even having him wait outside the line would not work well. I too have bathroom issues, so I completely sympathize with him.

I say it is always worth stopping by City Hall and asking for advice, but I really don't think a GAC would be a great help to you.

Hopefully the low crowds will help. For what it is worth, I stop by a restroom every time I pass one and definitely before I get in any lines.

Another piece of advise is to go to the restroom before rides and shows. Be sure to go before parades or any time you will be waiting. It is very difficult to exit a line once you are in it (imagine swimming against a current.)

Use of fastpass and a good touring plan are your best bet.

I also don't think a GAC could offer much assistance in this case, Fastpass is the best way to minimise wait times and a good plan will help you avoid hitting rides with peak waits. It goes without saying that you need to be aware of the location of the closest restrooms.

I would say he should first explore all options with his medical team as there is probably something that can help if the problem is impacting his daily life to that degree. Even if nothing can be done medically maybe incontinence aids are the way to go during park days. I'm sure he could be referred to a continence adviser who can suggest something appropriate.

Every ride queue has a point of no return and it can be some time before you could exit even in an emergency. Once he is on a ride there is nothing he could do if that situation arose so he really needs to give that scenario some consideration, you cannot leave a moving ride to go to the restroom.

They are making incontinence pants now that look like regular underwear, or there are products that can be used in your regular underwear. I would go with those, and not passing up a restroom. I personally also limit myself to water only when in the parks. The carbonation and sugar can make things tougher.

I'm not sure a GAC would assist with restroom issues, but If you could explain how it is disabling to you(BF) I'm sure that there are ways GS could assist you.:confused3 I too agree that a GAC will not get you any assistance with waiting in line or having to leave the line and return, however I would explain to the CM as you are leaving the issue and see if they can accommodate you by issuing a time or FP so when you return, you won't have to wait as long:confused3.

Since your BF has had this since childhood, I would assume that he has a diagnosis for his condition? Maybe he could discuss with his Doctor the different types of medication on the market that will assist with his gastrointestinal needs. I can think of one that may be of great assistance to your DBF, but I would not want it to be taken as medical advice so I wont:rolleyes1,

The previous advice to use adult incontinence protection is also a great idea in case he can't get there fast enough. They make Boxers for Men and they look and feel like regular boxer style underwear, they also have the original brief/diaper styles available as well. He should get a few samples, try them out now and when you're at WDW, he'd be comfortable in his on skin so to speak. It would spare him any embarrassment and allow you to relax as well. Also learning where every restroom is would be good to know too:teacher:. Good luck and have a great trip:goodvibes

My only advice is to know where all of the restrooms are. Don't enter a ride unless you know where the nearest restroom is.
If you need to get out of line, there is no way to save your space. Just hope it doesn't happen too often.

Good luck to you. I hope you don't have to deal with this issue too often! God Bless! :goodvibes

My only advice is to know where all of the restrooms are. Don't enter a ride unless you know where the nearest restroom is.
If you need to get out of line, there is no way to save your space. Just hope it doesn't happen too often.

Good luck to you. I hope you don't have to deal with this issue too often! God Bless! :goodvibes

You know, I've looked several times for a map that shows all the rest rooms in the parks, but have never been able to find one.

I have seen maps with all rest rooms marked. I can't seem to remember right this instant, but I will try to find them for you. This is invaluable information, and necessary for your circumstance.

I wonder if I'm thinking of the Guidemaps for People with Disabilities.

I promise I'll keep looking. :goodvibes

don't think a gac would help. I agree with the diapers or protective pants as I call them. you might also bring some imodium. helps my issues.

I would also recommend stopping by the restroom often. If it was me I would bring an extra set of undies and pants in a backpack just in case an accident happens.That way I could change in the restroom and not have to walk to the exit in soiled pants ( of course if he uses some type of pad then this may not be needed).

I would utilize fastpass as much as possible but I think you may be able to get a GAC for the alternate entrance use. This way if he needs to run out quickly he doesn't have to fight through a long line and crowd.

Unfortunately, sometimes the wait at the alternate entrance is longer than the wait through the regular line--and sometimes much more crowded, too. The three that immediately come to mind are Small World, Toy Story and the safari at AK. There may be more, but I am very limited in the rides that I can do, so am not familiar with many rides.

Toy Story Mania does get backed up sometimes waiting for the accessible car. At IASW they can board any boat, when I was there that line moved super quick at the alternate entrance except for the one party waiting for the accessible boat (I actually was in the regular line for that one since it looked short, not realizing that they would continually board anyone coming in from the alternate entrance into the 2nd boat immediately and there was a steady stream of folks walking on down the alternate entrance with no scooter or wheelchair).

Nothing's perfect, in some cases it will be a help and in others it will be best to get a fast pass or possibly skip it.

As others have said, a GAC wouldn't help you and I can't see them giving your one just for faster lines because that's not their function and also, not the product of having one. You have to explain them what your needs are that they can accommodate. Shorter lines are not one of them. I feel for him for sure. Others have given you some really good advice. Good planning by doing everything you can to head off issues will be your best bet. Good luck!:thumbsup2

You know, I've looked several times for a map that shows all the rest rooms in the parks, but have never been able to find one.
If you are just looking for any kind of restroom, all the park maps have all thre restroom locations marked, with the exception of the restrooms that are inside restaurants.
You can also go to post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, located near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
There is a link there to a website someone made with pictures of all restrooms at WDW. Thy even included some in restaurants.
I have seen maps with all rest rooms marked. I can't seem to remember right this instant, but I will try to find them for you. This is invaluable information, and necessary for your circumstance.

I wonder if I'm thinking of the Guidemaps for People with Disabilities.

I promise I'll keep looking. :goodvibes
If you are looking or the Companion Restrooms, they are not marked on the regular maps, but are marked with an icon on the maps for guests with disabilities. Post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread also has a link to a thread I made called Restrooms around the world. That thread lists the locations of Companion Restrooms and has pictures of many of them.
Toy Story Mania does get backed up sometimes waiting for the accessible car. At IASW they can board any boat, when I was there that line moved super quick at the alternate entrance except for the one party waiting for the accessible boat (I actually was in the regular line for that one since it looked short, not realizing that they would continually board anyone coming in from the alternate entrance into the 2nd boat immediately and there was a steady stream of folks walking on down the alternate entrance with no scooter or wheelchair).

Nothing's perfect, in some cases it will be a help and in others it will be best to get a fast pass or possibly skip it.
We have to use the accessible boat at Small World and have had long waits there. Until the person who needs the accessible boat gets to the bottom of the boarding ramp, we have never seen them pull out anyone from the line waiting to board ahead of us.
Once we get to the bottom, they will ave us wait to the side while they take people ahead of us who don't need the accessible boat. But, if you are in a long line, the wait can still be long.

On our last trip, my DH got into the accessible line with DD in her wheelchair while I was doing something she could not do. By the time I caught up to them, they had been in line for more than 20 minutes and were about 2/3 of the way down the ramp.
I looked at the line to see if I could catch up with them, but it would have been hard. Even though the lines look very wide, when there are wheelchairs and ECVs to get past, it is not easy and/or always quick. People in lines can move out of the way to let other guests pass by; wheelchairs and ECVs often can't move enough to let someone by very easily.
Because I could not get to them, I got in the regular line. The posted wait time at that point was 20 minutes. I got boarded into a boat a little less than 15 minutes.
DH and DD were 3 boats ahead of me and DH told me later that they were lucky and the wheelchair boat came almost right away after they got to the bottom of the ramp (because of the regular line going behind the clock, I could not see them the entire time).
So, they waited more than 20 minutes more in the accessible line than I did in the regular line.
So, there is no way of knowing what your wait will be in the accessible line.

I would go with a touring plan or smart phone app that lets you know what the busiest places are so you can avoid them, use Fastpasses and know where the bathrooms are.

Keep in mind how long some of the rides themselves are as well. Things like splash mountain and the safari ride come to mind. Not to mention that you could have a ride break down and be stuck for 20 minutes. Whatever your plan I would definitely keep in mind that you may just not be in a place you can leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter