Would like to trade a week at Smuggler's Notch for DVC points

Status
Not open for further replies.

3kids4me

<font color=magenta>Besotted Pin Lover<br><font co
Hi everyone,

We have a week at Smugglers' Notch (www.smuggs.com) in a two bedroom, deluxe unit. (We were just at the Boardwalk Villas and this unit is actually nicer, and bigger, than that.) It has a king in the master, three beds (two twin and one queen) in the second bedroom, and a sofa bed...sleeping eight total. There are four TVs in the unit, including one above the jacuzzi! We also have owners' benefits there which entitle anyone who uses the unit to benefits for six people, which includes the summer children's camps. Smugglers' Notch has been voted the number one family resort for eight years running by Family Fun Magazine (which I believe is actually a Disney owned publication!).

This unit would rent for $3,200 from the resort if you have a family of four, and an additional $280 per extra person in the unit if you have a larger family.

We normally rent the unit, with benefits for six, for $2,000, but would be happy to also exchange it for 200 DVC points. We just completed a direct exchange and stayed at BWV during Christmas week....and loved it. We still go to Smuggs every year as well, but we own two weeks there.

The week we have is week 26, which is from June 27th through July 3rd of 2004.

I don't know when we will use the 200 points, and it may not be until 2005. However, you would be using our 2004 week.

If anyone is interested, please e-mail me at intlgntlfe@aol.com.

Thanks!!

Sharon,

I would love to try out Smuggs. However, our plans are pretty much set for 2004 and I won't be able to take up your offer. I would love to play with the option of trying out for 2005 or later if you would have a week reserved later sometimes in the summer time.

Thanks

Christine

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your reply.

It's such a balancing act...trying to decide when to start looking into things to do with the second week. People who don't own timeshare don't usually start looking to rent from someone until three months or so before, while the rest of us timeshare people plan out to 2005...lol!!

One of the advantages for me in doing a direct exchange is not having the stress of waiting until 3 months before to rent. So...we can definitely explore further out...however, my 2005 week is already committed! How about 2006? :)

Anyway...one way or another you should definitely give Smuggs a try. My husband has said that he would be happy just going to Smuggs and Disney every year. If possible, though, try to rent from an owner rather than the resort, because the resort usually only rents their full-ownership condos which are not as nice as their timeshare units.

Happy traveling!!

Hi!

We were just at Smugglers Notch for the first time instead of WDW!!(and my first time skiing!!) and absolutely loved it there! We even went on the timeshare tour! What location are do you have your timeshare? We were very impressed - couldn't believe they said their most popular was actually summer and not winter. As I understand it Smuggs is like one big summer camp for kids and adults. The distance from NJ was the one question we had, otherwise we had a great time and would consider going again. Does your timeshare contract also have a float week in the winter? Please keep us in mind for anything you might have, but for right now I think we might be interested in doing an exchange at during ski season.

I would love to hear your thoughts on Smuggs compared to Disney!

Thanks,

Melissa
uromac@aol.com
:Pinkbounc

Sharon,

You may have a deal. 2005 is our Disney year (if I can resist going there after this coming April's trip!!!!). So 2006 may just be the right year!!! You are right, people could not believe how I could possibly figured out all of our vacation plans for the entire 2004!!!

I have BCV and BWV pts that I can arrange the trade if they are where you want to stay. Or you can have OKW or WLV within the 7 month window.

My e-mail address is

buzzlauren@aol.com

Keep in touch!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Melissa,

How long is the drive to Smoggs from NJ? I know it is far. Is it really THAT far?

Smuggs is about 8 hours from our home in South Jersey (Cherry Hill Area). We just happened to go the Friday before Christmas and hit a lot of traffic and that was compounded by it snowing in VT. and the notch closed to traffic after the first snow. So to get to Smuggs we had to go back down and all around the mountain in the middle of the night to the other side which added about another 1 1/2 hours to our trip - we can laugh about it now, but dh was not a happy camper then!!!

Melissa:Pinkbounc

Melissa,

Like you mentioned, in the winter they close the Notch so you have to go the long way around it. That adds another 45 minutes to an hour to the trip (I think...I've never been there in the winter).

Yes, sometimes the second float week is in winter, but never during a school vacation week. I get priority for internal exchanges, but it's pretty much impossible to get in during, say, President's Week because anyone who owns there that week paid a fortune to buy and would be going themselves (or privately renting, at least). In general, most people don't deposit prime weeks at Smuggs (sort of like DVC) because it's just not worth it.

Disney vs. Smuggs...it's so hard to compare them but we love them both. Our Disney vacations are of course centered around the parks (and we also collect pins, so there is that too). Smuggs is indeed like one giant summer camp. Every day there is camp for the kids (different ones with different themes) and the adults have a choice of a million things to do, or just hanging out with friends. In the evenings there are usually two or three different family activities to choose from (pool party with DJ, family dance night, kareoke, funny bingo). There are also two teen centers...one for ages 13-15 and one for ages 16-18. We just let our 12 year old go where he wants with his friends, since the campus is so safe. There are little shuttle cars that you can call to take you around if you don't want to walk. There is a country fair once a week as well.

They also have a special needs program at the camps, where you can get a one-on-one counselor for your child. I could go on and on about the place.

The biggest difference...no rides at Smuggs except for their water slides (one is giant and you go down on a tube). (There are lifeguards everywhere, by the way.)

I would love to hear a Disney perspective on what you liked instead of my Smuggs perspective!!

I had a trade worked out for this and the person just backed out. (Anyone have any advice for how to handle this in the future? I feel like I lost a lot of time holding this for someone. I've never had that happen before.) Maybe it's better just to rent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter