• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would love your opinions please

Jo2019

Mouseketeer
We are visiting in May. Our daughter will turn 6 on the trip. It's a 13 day trip with the last 3 days at the Poly. We rented DVC points for that

We cannot make up our minds for the first 10 days - AoA Little Mermaid or Pop standard. Any opinions? It would be $560 cheaper CDN for us to stay at Pop. We're not concerned about the walk for Little Mermaid.

Also are lovebugs bad at the resorts? My daughter would freak lol.

Thanks!

We are visiting in May. Our daughter will turn 6 on the trip. It's a 13 day trip with the last 3 days at the Poly. We rented DVC points for that

We cannot make up our minds for the first 10 days - AoA Little Mermaid or Pop standard. Any opinions? It would be $560 cheaper CDN for us to stay at Pop. We're not concerned about the walk for Little Mermaid.

Thanks!
There is really only one advantage to staying at AoA and that is the pools. They have a great main pool and the quiet pools are highly themed, better than any moderate quiet pools hands down. If you will be spending lots of times at the pools that would be what you are paying for.

Otherwise you can stay at POP and still walk all over, explore and take great photos at AoA. You can still eat at AoA for meals (we often like to do that). And you can use the bus at AoA if you want. Both have Skyliner.

As for us, having stayed at both AOA LM and POP several times. we love Pop. There's certainly nothing wrong with LM rooms (or the 'walk', IMHO), but Pop has a range of movies and icons from the decades that are really fun. If you really want to see AOA, it's just a walk across the bridge from Pop. There's no need to spend more to see the other resort.

Thanks!

Only one year in May did we encounter love bugs. We stayed off site that year and I swear we saw much fewer at the parks lol. I think it's toward the end of May usually IIRC.

Unfortunately there is no way to predict how heavy a love bug season may be, or the exact dates it may arrive. May and September are general guidelines, but you could have the peak earlier or later. They are usually around for 4-6 weeks, with a gradual ramp up, a week or two of peak volume, and a gradual disappearance.

They are drawn to light colors, so your best bet is to wear darker clothes whenever possible, and to limit the amount of time you spend in areas painted white, like the riverboat in MK. I was there during a particularly heavy season one year, and they covered anything white.

The one good thing is that they are completely harmless when you encounter one. It won’t bite or sting, although I do recommend keeping your mouth closed. I hear they don’t taste very good if one flies in your mouth.

As far as the resort, how into the LM is your daughter? If it’s a mild interest, I would stay at Pop and maybe take a walk over to see the large figures outside each building. If she is a devoted fan to all things Ariel, then I would stay in a LM room.

POP. AoA Little Mermaid rooms still have double beds instead of queens and are much further from the main building and buses than any room at POP.

POP. AoA Little Mermaid rooms still have double beds instead of queens and are much further from the main building and buses than any room at POP.
I believe they were renovated. The website says 2 Queens or King.

The Little Mermaid Standard Room

Views of the Courtyard, Pool or Parking Area

1 King Bed or 2 Queen Beds

I believe they were renovated. The website says 2 Queens or King.

The Little Mermaid Standard Room

Views of the Courtyard, Pool or Parking Area

1 King Bed or 2 Queen Beds

Interesting. I didn't realize they had been updated. Do they match the POP rooms now?

Interesting. I didn't realize they had been updated. Do they match the POP rooms now?
No. I think they just got a refresh and tone down. :rolleyes:

Carpet gone, Queen Beds in. Paint.

Obviously not enough to warrant too much discussion or excitement.

20201115-IMG_0056-1024x768.jpg

https://brbgoingtodisney.com/little-mermaid-room-remodeled-art-of-animation-resort/

In Pop, the second bed is a Murphy Bed that when it is closed it is your table and chairs in the room. It’s comfortable and certainly a 6 year old will find that entertaining. But you do have to put it up to get a table in the room.

I think the decision here is money vs. want. I can spend 560 dollars a lot of ways and I’d be tempted for that reason only.

The lovebugs are rarely an issue at the parks. Once in awhile, you could come back to your hotel room door having a BUNCH on it. I suggest brushing them off and then opening the door to avoid getting in the room. But even on a bad day, it’s been even rarer for any to make it into the room. I think if you prep her for what they are, that will help a ton. They really are an interesting bug, so maybe some YouTube learning before you go might help.

Last edited:
In Pop, the second bed is a Murphy Bed tan when close is your table and chairs in the room. It’s comfortable and certainly a 6 year old will find that entertaining. But you do have to put it up to get a table in the room.

I think the decision here is money vs. want. I can spend 560 dollars a lot of ways and I’d be tempted for that reason only.

The lovebugs are rarely an issue at the parks. Once in awhile, you could come back to your hotel room door having a BUNCH on it. I suggest brushing them off and then opening the door to avoid getting in the room. But even on a bad day, it’s been even rarer for Amy to make it into the room. I think if you prep her for what they are, that will help a ton. They really are an interesting bug, so maybe some YouTube learning before you go might help.
On the flip side, my kid LOVES that the bed folds down and the hidden art and lights inside. He wouldn't let me sleep there if I tried, it's like his hidden treasure. We don't fold it down until we are ready for bed so losing the table is not a problem for us. And it's the same bed, same comfort.

How many people in the room? If just three, Pop will be fine and save some money for other expenses, As other posters have mentioned, you can use the food court at AoA without staying there. If four in the room then I would go with AoA. YMMV. Both resorts are great for kids.

Personally, I prefer the Pop rooms. I'd save the money and stay there. All the amenities are basically the same. Unless your daughter really loves the Little Mermaid, I'd stick with Pop.

I’d pick Pop. Pop rooms are brighter.

The blue walls and blue floor in the LM rooms make me feel blue. Lol.
Seriously, I’m sure some people love the look, but to me, those rooms are just dank and depressing.

Unless your daughter really, really loves The Little Mermaid, I would save the money and stay at Pop. Either one will have plenty of space for three of you.

I love POP for many reasons .
AoA is fun to walk around but I hate their long dark enclosed hallways .
Also the POP got rid of the bathroom curtain and has the modern sliding doors in wall to lock .

I'd go Pop hands down. First off, the resorts are very similar and you can easily go between them. But, IMO, the main draw of AoA is the family suites. The LM rooms are cute, but for the price, Pop is just as good and the walk won't typically be as far as the walk to the LM rooms are (which I don't think is bad, but it's an issue for some people).

Another vote for Pop. Unless you are staying in a suite, no reason to pay more for the same thing at AoA. It's a cute resort but an easy walk from Pop.

Our kids LOVED the Murphy bed at POP - but we also didn't mind the walk at AoA and we easily walked over to AoA from Pop when we stayed there as well. We also loved the space that having the Murphy bed up during the day gave us when we stayed at Pop.

I'll echo others who said unless your daughter is super into Ariel, go with Pop. (We would actually pay more to stay at Pop despite being fans of the LM- we just prefer the rooms and overall "decades" theming there, but Pop is no longer an option since we got a dog)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter