Would they allow a portable chair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkee04

Bow Ties Are Cool!
Hi there, I am in the middle of planning our first dream vacation for my family and have a question. I thought since you guys have gone you might know the answer. We will be heading to the World in September 2012 and we're hoping wait times then will be low, but I am trying to plan for most scenerios. My mom has a bad back and hip injury that does not allow her to stand or walk for long periods. We are renting a scooter for her should she need it, but my next concern is with lines.

We've done Disneyland and sometimes she just could not handle the standing after all the walking. I know we can take the scooter through the lines, but we'd really like to just park it. I got to thinking about how we could try to make this easier for her and then I thought about a folding stool. I found one that folds to the size of an umbrella and was wondering if Disney would allow her to use it for the lines. Do any of you know if they would have a problem with it? Do you think they would allow it with a GAC? Thanks for any replies!

I know that some folding chairs may be allowed (I think the one that is part of a cane) but really these are impractical as the lines are almost always continually moving. Your mom won't have much of a chacne to sit before she needs to get up and move again. I think that would be more tiring than the line wait.
Also, at WDW, many of the queues are designed for scooters and wheelchairs so your mom can stay seated until you reach the ride vehicle. Disneyland not so much (especially Fantasyland).

The only kind that is allowed would those very small seats that fold down from a cane. As was already mentioned, even that would not be useful in most lines because the lines are constantly moving. Maybe slowly, but still moving.

A GAC (Guest Assistance Card) would not allow for a chair to be brought into lines. The suggestion would be to just bring the ECV into lines.

You also want to be aware that the distance walked in some lines is very long, even if the wait is short. Someone has actually measured the distance from the line entrance to the loading area for Soarin' and it is 1/4 mile. Once you have ridden, it is the same distance out.
There are other attractions with long queues - Pirates is an example.

There are also many attractions which involve a pre show or standing period while waiting for the next show and don't have a place to sit. There is a post on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread about attractions that involve a standing period. You can find the disABILITIES FAQs thread near near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature. Post one of that thread is an index that will tell you which post contains which information.

why your mom doesn't want to ride the scooter through the lines. I'm going to do a few assumptions, but if they don't apply; then just disregard.

First, I agree with the other posters that these portable chairs are not a great answer. You have to balance yourself on them pretty good and you need to stay pretty still on them and not fidget. I'm not sure Disney will allow one that has a back to it. These cane chairs are backless from what I understand; there stools really. Then, you have to carry it in the line and get in and out of it a lot before you get to the actual ride.

I'm getting the vibe that maybe your mom is hesitant manuevering a scooter through a ride line. If this is the case (otherwise disregard), you may be able to help her some. If she's afraid she could hit someone in front of her, then let it be someone in your party to be in front and that person can also guide her some. For example, wait a little until there's some space between you and the party in front of you to proceed with the scooter. If she can't make the turns in the ride queue, then maybe someone else can take over on the scooter and she can get on and off as necessary for this part. This could still be a lot of hassle getting on and off the scooter each time.

There are some rides where you can transfer to a wheelchair at the ride. So, you would have to push her through the ride and back to her parked scooter each time.

Also, you may want to consider a wheelchair for the whole trip and take turns pushing it. She can get out of the wheelchair and walk some if she gets stiff or something or just wants to exercise. Many use the wheelchair as a walker, too at times. There are some portable travel wheelchairs that run $100 to $150 that may suffice; the load capacity for them is usually 250 to 300 pounds for them. You can rent them, too.

If the turns in the ride lines are the turn off then maybe practice with store scooters making turns down aisle after aisle to get more use to it. Try to find the hardest turns possible; so, you can get better at making the turns. Local zoos, who rent scooters, could be a way to practice on tight turns and such. too.

We had a MIL where we had to do all her parking of the scooter, getting on and off the bus (we rented from an outside vendor), and most definitely ride queues. She walked many of the ride queues very slowly with someone holding her and bracing her all the way. My MIL was 88 at the time.

Also, keep in mind Disney World is a bigger place and this whole process of scootering could wear on her day in, day out. With so many more rides and parks, the getting in and out of the rides may affect her negatively, as well. I find there are much longer days going to Disney World than Disneyland. Disneyland seems to be more manageable for us. I would definitely alternate between rides, shows, parades, and eating; so, you are not constantly doing rides only.

I'm not sure if defining her issues here will help us get you a better answer, but you may want to be more specific.

Thanks for all the info. She mostly just needs something to sort of lean on/take the pressure off of her left hip/leg. That's the reason for not wanting to take the ECV with us through the lines. There's really no problem with her waiting in lines or getting in and out of rides, unless there is a huge step up, but doing stairs are another problem she has. I think a wheelchair would work best, but she's really independent and I have that to contend with. I know she would hate being pushed around everywhere. It looks like we'll just have to take the ECV with us through the lines when we can. :)

I use my rollator to sit down in line, when it's not moving. If she's already going to have the ECV, though, having an additional mobility aid like a rollator will likely be unnecessary, and someone else will have to push it when she isn't using it. Staying in the ECV is probably her best bet.

I was behind an elderly lady that was using one of those cane chairs the line was only stopping for a few seconds at a time but she tried to sit down every time at first she would unfold it every time but by the time she unfolded it it time to move forward

She finally left it open and was trying to walk with it but was hitting other peoples legs and making a few people upset. Every time we stopped she would sit but most of the time it would be only a second or two.

By the time we got to the ride I was exhausted just watching her it was ridiculous. I'm sure she would have been much better off without the seat on that ride. She looked like she was about to fall over

I use my rollator to sit down in line, when it's not moving. If she's already going to have the ECV, though, having an additional mobility aid like a rollator will likely be unnecessary, and someone else will have to push it when she isn't using it. Staying in the ECV is probably her best bet.

I use a rollator too. But frankly, I have had to push a few of the family out of the park on it too. Long days at the park. The idea of a vacation is to relax and not fret. I would say to your Mom, we understand her independance but she has no idea how long the walking is.

If she were to go to the haunted house, she would be walking through he line with a chair. If she is in the scooter or with a rollator then she will exit the main line and be taken to another area with the option to go through the entry area with the dialogue prequel, or on to the ride area when they come for your group.

The idea is to have stamina to keep up with the group and not feel like Mom is strugling along and uncomfortable. In the ECV she will adapt just fine. I would tell her to try zipping along in one at SAMS club or Walmart to get her "wheel feels."

I found mine for $80. the tray is removable and used for a tray to carry things,like a drink or sandwhich.

41iCgfHkBXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Actually for my FIL we opted for a scooter/ECV. My MIL was adamant about using a WC. I explained that there would be many inclines and dips and even if everyone helped push him...he would not feel independent. So she relented and he got the ECV. It was terrific. He was independednt to tootle off on his own and then meet back up with us. After the first day or tow he was a champ. Why not rent one at home before she travels to let her see then take it a few places. I think an ECV would give her independence not take it away.

Closing this - it's originally from 2011!

Be careful when responding to the suggested threads highlighted at the bottom of the page. I don't know how Google chooses them, but many are very, very old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter