Would this be ok?

Ellajoan

Mouseketeer
Hi again,
I will be getting a GAC for my Cognitively Impaired daughter for June (we tried last time without one--definitely want one for occasional use to prevent meltdowns this time). My question--she has a very rare chromosomal disorder that few have heard of (ring chromosome 13), and we've had people act as though we are making up her diagnosis because they've not heard of it. Most of this is because she looks "normal" until she tries to communicate or gets frustrated. She has many, many, characteristics of autism (inflexibility, inability to wait, need for routine, perseveration on things, sensory issues). I almost prefer to say she has autism to the Guest Relations folks, rather than try to explain her condition and say "autistic characteristics." The general public is much better schooled and more understanding about autism, it seems, than other disorders. Would that be easier?

Sorry so long!

My youngest daughter (15 yo) has Fragile X, another chromosome disorder. She exhibits many of the same symptoms as you described, yet appears, as you say, "normal". Although I have not used a GAC because she only goes on a few rides (Small World, the Treehouse, Jungle Cruise), I have used the term autistic (in fact, her early diagnosis was for autism) when needing to explain her situation to others. I would use that diagnosis if I needed to get a GAC for my daughter.

Since your daughter has an actual disorder caused by medical problems, i cant see why you cant use the word "autistic" if she has all the same characterists, just a different cause. you could even say the ring 13 chromosome disorder "causes" the autism. autism is a disorder, but :autistic" can describe autistic characteristics.

I just wanted to point out that you don't need a diagnosis to request a GAC (Guest Assistance Card), just a good explanation of the person's needs. If "autism" is going to help you to explain her needs in a way that the CM can understand, it seems reasonable to use it.
If you haven't checked out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board, there is a information about GACs there.

I would just say autistic to the CM. My son also has complex medical problems and it is just easier to say autism because the CMs seem very autism aware. The GAC is a life saver. He used it on every ride and had a brilliant time.

Yup, that's what we do. Christian is severely mentally handicapped due to a very rare & complicated chromosome disorder called Pallister-Killian syndrome, or Tetrasomy 12p. None of our doctors have even heard of it and I wouldn't expect WDW to understand it. Therefore we just tell them he's severely autistic--he has a LOT of characteristics, as well as trouble with loud noises, heat, and waiting in lines. The GAC hasn't been our ticket to the front, but it does help the CMs understand his needs.

My DS3 has autism and has many of the 'symptoms' that you describe. We always bring a copy of his 'official diagnosis' from his neurologist when we request our GAC, but we have never needed to show the actual documentation. I am sure that the CM's understand that if you are there to request a GAC for your child, you have a true need.
And by the way...they GAC cards are a BLESSING. We could never ever go to Disney without one.:sad2: Our son has major communication and transitional issues but absolutely thrives there! He just LOVES everything..the rides, the parades, the characters..he doesn't move or even blink during the entire Voyage of the Little Mermaid show:rotfl: ... I spend the majority of my vacation in tears watching the World through his eyes. :sad1:
I am sure you will have no problem getting the GAC.:thumbsup2

My DS3 has autism and has many of the 'symptoms' that you describe. We always bring a copy of his 'official diagnosis' from his neurologist when we request our GAC, but we have never needed to show the actual documentation. I am sure that the CM's understand that if you are there to request a GAC for your child, you have a true need.
And by the way...they GAC cards are a BLESSING. We could never ever go to Disney without one.:sad2: Our son has major communication and transitional issues but absolutely thrives there! He just LOVES everything..the rides, the parades, the characters..he doesn't move or even blink during the entire Voyage of the Little Mermaid show:rotfl: ... I spend the majority of my vacation in tears watching the World through his eyes. :sad1:
I am sure you will have no problem getting the GAC.:thumbsup2

Awwwwwwwwwww. My DS has autism and we're going to Disneyland in June. Actually, I'm quite scared to ask for a GAC but I will. He doesn't get the concept of a line and well he will start to hit me. He did that at Great Wolf Lodge and he's a very active and hyper child.

My son is the exact same way...he has NO concept of lines..especially once he sees the actual ride. When he saw the Pirate Ships for the Peter Pan ride he literally tried to jump over the wall (he has very little concept of physical danger too..thats why NO Disney Cruises for us:sad2: !!!!) . He was physically dangerous to handle for the 5 minute line.. :scared:

Do NOT be afraid of asking for it. Our children NEED it! Any outing with my son is a physically draining one. But my dh and I have resolved ourselves to never deny my son of an experience just because it is difficult on us.( You should have seen us mini-golfing Sat night! :scared1: ) At the end of most days I am completely totally exhausted, especially at WDW. But my son loves it so at the end of the day I drink a few glasses of wine and thank God he sent my angel to me:love: And believe me, I have learned to take all the help I can get so I have NO problem asking for the GAC. And you shouldn't either! :thumbsup2 (truthfully I am more afraid of waiting in line with my ds than asking for the card:guilty: )

My son is the exact same way...he has NO concept of lines..especially once he sees the actual ride. When he saw the Pirate Ships for the Peter Pan ride he literally tried to jump over the wall (he has very little concept of physical danger too..thats why NO Disney Cruises for us:sad2: !!!!) . He was physically dangerous to handle for the 5 minute line.. :scared:

Do NOT be afraid of asking for it. Our children NEED it! Any outing with my son is a physically draining one. But my dh and I have resolved ourselves to never deny my son of an experience just because it is difficult on us.( You should have seen us mini-golfing Sat night! :scared1: ) At the end of most days I am completely totally exhausted, especially at WDW. But my son loves it so at the end of the day I drink a few glasses of wine and thank God he sent my angel to me:love: And believe me, I have learned to take all the help I can get so I have NO problem asking for the GAC. And you shouldn't either! :thumbsup2 (truthfully I am more afraid of waiting in line with my ds than asking for the card:guilty: )

Thanks for the encouragement.

My problem is I'm a single mom and I can't always handle my little one. We do more things when my sister comes to visit.

I took him to have Breakfast with Clifford by myself and I vowed not to do it again (well not in the near future anyhow). I was exhausted!

I totally feel for you...I cannot even image how tired you must be!!! I am so blessed to have an amazing DH and many days i am overwhelmed..do you have any kind of support system in your community? before starting school this past Sept my son was in a special needs playgroup at a local church which gave me an hour of quiet time. we also had a lot of therapists through early intervention coming to the house to work with him, so that helped too. I really limit the amount of times I venture out of the house with my ds alone too. Especially since he has recently sworn off any carriages at all:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter