Would u bring a 6yo non-swimmer to DC?

longing4disney

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of a visit to a Discovery Cove. Our boys are looking forward to it. Only problem is that DD is only 6 and not a swimmer. She is also a scaddy cat when it comes to animals. But when she saw the video of the dolphins interaction at DC on the Internet, she says that she wants to go too. I understand that DC provides life vest which can keep her afloat. I'm wondering if we should take her as well. I had initially thought I'd to sit out of DC and accompany DD to do something else at Disney. Now that she wants to try DC, I'm excited at being able to do it too. Only think is that it is really expensive for 5 of us and I'm not sure if it is worth it to bring DD since she won't be able to snorkel and she is terrified of bird flying at her (so not sure if she'll do the aviary as well). Has anyone brought a non swimmer young child to DC? What is your feedback? :confused3

It think Discovery Cove has a lot to offer smaller children, and that its a great place for young school-agers. I wouldn't worry about her swimming ability.....floatation devices are readily available to ensure she can relax and enjoy her day. She could easily enjoy the Freshwater Oasis (watching the otters and marmosets play) and the lazy river with a parent as long as she was wearing a life jacket.

There are great sand beaches that are fun for building sandcastles. And the dolphin encounter is an amazing experience for the whole family.

If she has a fear of animals, the two places where she sounds like she might feel uncomfortable would be in the aviary and snorkeling in the Grand Reef (where the fish and rays would be swimming around her legs). I don't think there's anything threatening at all about either place (just the opposite, actually), and I think they would be fantastic experiences for her if she would just give them a try, but only you know her best.

I would want my whole family to enjoy a place like DC rather than breaking up for the day and heading in different directions. The park is incredible and has something for every age. Its relaxing and calming and really, really worth the cost of admission.

Thanks Gina!
I think we've decided. We'll just go for it! :dance3:
I have read both your reviews. They are wonderful, and thanks for posting photos.
May I know how much did you pay for the cabana? Are there different packages? I'm wondering if we should get one in case DD needs a rest or nap. Is there any specific cabana area that you will recommend?

Thanks Gina!
I think we've decided. We'll just go for it! :dance3:
I have read both your reviews. They are wonderful, and thanks for posting photos.
May I know how much did you pay for the cabana? Are there different packages? I'm wondering if we should get one in case DD needs a rest or nap. Is there any specific cabana area that you will recommend?

Thanks for the kind comments on my trip reports :goodvibes . I am glad you found them helpful!

We paid $229 for the cabana with the "premium package" add-on. The premium package allowed us to book the cabana more than three weeks in advance of our visit (when cabana-only reservations are released.....cabanas, by themselves, are $179) and provided some great inclusions. We received a sling backpack, a DC t-shirt, a personalized bouy (if you do a dolphin swim, it will be delivered to your family by the dolphin....so awesome!), a disposable waterproof camera, a 6 x 8 adventure photo, our choice of a plush dolphin or a 6 x 8 photo frame, and 25% off the Ultimate Photo Package (if my math is correct, thats a $55 savings all on its own). It was a nice splurge and great to have a "home base" to relax and put our feet up out of the sun. We even had a little siesta mid-day (all that swimming is tiring).

As for cabana locations, I am not even sure where some of them are......while not in "remote" locations, neither are they out in the open. The are tucked away nicely and you'd hardly notice some of them unless you were really looking. Ours next to the Grand Reef was a great location and we were very pleased.

Thanks Gina!
I think we've decided. We'll just go for it!

As it is the right thing to do.

I'd rather see the money go to waste as she sits it out ( but I'm sure she won't) then her asking to join you & you had to tell her that she can't... It would brake both of your hearts.

Enjoy the swim.

We took all of our kids (9, 7, 4, 4 and 1) to DC this summer. They all loved it! The 4 year olds loved the aviary, playing in the sand, playing in the water, ect. My 7 year old was a little afraid of the dolphin encounter, and she isn't a strong swimmer. They let her do a shallow swim with the dolphin. My 9 year old can swim, but again not a strong swimmer, and they took her out for the deepwater swim w/ DH. They let her go first, so she didn't have to tread water for long. It was a neat exerience, and I am glad we all went together. We plan tot ake the 4 year olds when they are old enough :)

Thanks everyone, I feel so much more at ease knowing that others in DD's age group had enjoyed their experience. :goodvibes

Gina, thanks for the link to the packages. Silly me had never thought of looking at the celebration tab as we are not celebrating any special occasion :rotfl: the premium package does look like a gd deal. I think we'll probably do that. Gives DD a place to rest or nap :)

Just booked the premium package :cheer2::cool1:
I requested for the cabana near the warmer waters as DH thinks that DD won't be spending much time in the grand reef since she doesn't know how to snorkel. I hope we won't regret our choice of cabana. :)

... I hope we won't regret our choice of cabana. :)

You won't.

When we went there, everything that happened that day was against all recommendations posted here.

First we had a late arrival, just past 9AM. That gave us an after lunch Dolphin swim around 2PM & we got probably the only cabana left, the one next to the aviary and next to the "in water" dinning spot.

Turned out that must have been the most" private" cabana from them all, barely any foot traffic in front, no one lurking in, etc.

Had a perfect weather thru the whole day without any clouds or afternoon thunderstorms, day after 4ht of the July this year.

The Dolphin swim was great and with my active kids ages, 6, 8 & 9, we barely used the cabana. While it was something "cool" to have, next time we'll go without it.

At the end we didn't rush before the crowds to select the pictures to beat the crowds. instead we took showers, shop around and went to get the pictures just before we left. No one was rushing us out the door, and it was a great time to "stop and smell the roses" enjoying the place, something we were too busy to do during the day.

A good rule to remember:

"Don't worry of what could happen because you'll miss what's happening..."

Enjoy your day at DC.

PS. My kids never did go snorkeling before, had no problem doing it and loved it! that all they did for the last 2~3 hours was snorkel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter