• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Would we be disappointed if we missed the fireworks?

quiltymom

DIS Veteran
I'm asking this because my mom may want to leave before they start. (She's been fighting vertigo and her arthritis has been acting up something fierce lately.) We'll have a 1-1/2 hour drive home after we leave, and although I'll be driving, she is thinking she'll be too tired to stay.

But from what I've been reading on the Disneyland website, that it's not to be missed.

We'll also be staying the night before at the Ramada Maingate, so there is the possibility that we can see them (without sound) from DTD.

Any opinions?

I used to be ok if I just saw the fireworks from outside the park, or from some area other than in front of the castle.

However, after I was lucky enough to see a sneak peek show earlier this week, and the new show is an absolute MUST SEE from the castle hub area. It is so much more than just fireworks in the sky. The show goes on all around you. There is no way I'm will miss this show on future visits.

Sorry, I know that doesn't make things easy for you. Maybe your mom can grab a bench at the end of Main Street. She'll be able to see some of the fireworks, and it shouldn't be too crowded, since most folks will want to be more in the center. Get her a snack and a cup of cocoa and let her relax.

Thanks. I know I'll want to see them. I forgot to mention that we'll have a wheelchair for her that we're borrowing from someone before we arrive, so she won't have to walk at all, if she doesn't want to. I'll let her know what people have said and then play it by ear. My guess is that once we're there she'll just be so thrilled to be at DL, she'll not want to leave!!!

BTW -- We all get our Disney insanity from her!

hmmm I see this from both sides. I would personally hate to miss the fireworks so that might make me consider options like, renting an additional night at the Ramada so you could go back during the day and take naps and your mom could retreat to this quiet environment early while the rest of the family enjoys them. If you didn't take that route and your mom agreed to try to go but then was just feeling in terrible pain or discomfort, I'm sure you'd just forgoe the chance to see the fireworks since you don't want her to be in pain. If you rent the room for an additional night, you don't necessarily have to stay "overnight" you can use it more like a "day room". I think the Ramada is usually pretty reasonably priced but if it's more expensive you could look for a cheap property to use as a day room.

Yeah, this is a tough call. If finances weren't so tight, I'd add another day to the Ramada. Plus, Mom doesn't want to be away from dad for much longer than the 1-1/2 days we're gone.

It's going to be me, mom & my sister out having a girls day out. We're so looking forward to this time (especially since my sis & I were able to convince mom to join us), that even if we don't see the fireworks, we're going to have a blast. Besides, we already have our PS's for Storyteller's & The Blue Bayou. :) We're most likely going to spend the whole day shopping in the park, anyway! :hyper:

I have to go with Got2Travel on this one. We went for the sneak-peak on Monday night with my wife's grandmother, my wife and 2 kids. We grabbed dinner at Plaza Inn about 1 hour before the fireworks. We just stayed at our table the entire time. Just be sure to find a nice spot with a view of the Castle (it's a little limited, but it's better than pushing and shoving at the Hub). My grandmother was so impressed, she wanted to see it again, but couldn't since there were no more previews. It is SOOOOO much more than just a fireworks show. Also, without the music, it would be very hard to figure out what was going on. The music makes all the difference in the world. Also, like others have posted, you NEED to be near the Hub to get the full show.

If you have the time and the will, then just sit around with a cup of coffee while the crowds move out down Main Street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter