• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you agree to this medical test?

ebtbmom

DIS Veteran
In May I fell and twisted my left foot in. It became swollen and bruised so I propped and iced for a day. I had assumed it was just a sprain so I haven't done much else, but in the past couple of weeks I realized that a sprain wouldn't take this long to heal. Plus the area that hurts is on the top of my foot towards the outer edge, not the ankle, and there's a bony lump there.

I finally went to the ortho last week. He x-rayed but didn't see anything. Then he orders an MRI, which to me means, $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

My problem with getting it is that he put me in a hard soled shoe to immobilize the foot. I asked him what would the tx be if the MRI found a fracture and he said "the hard soled shoe". Um, if the tx is the exact same why do I need to use my WDW fund to pay for an MRI??

What would you do?

My insurance would and has covered mri and ct scans. As a runner I'd get it done to know exactly what I was dealing with.

If the treatment is the same then I suggest passing on the MRI :) I would not use up my Disney fund for it!!

In May I fell and twisted my left foot in. It became swollen and bruised so I propped and iced for a day. I had assumed it was just a sprain so I haven't done much else, but in the past couple of weeks I realized that a sprain wouldn't take this long to heal. Plus the area that hurts is on the top of my foot towards the outer edge, not the ankle, and there's a bony lump there.

I finally went to the ortho last week. He x-rayed but didn't see anything. Then he orders an MRI, which to me means, $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

My problem with getting it is that he put me in a hard soled shoe to immobilize the foot. I asked him what would the tx be if the MRI found a fracture and he said "the hard soled shoe". Um, if the tx is the exact same why do I need to use my WDW fund to pay for an MRI??

What would you do?

Have you checked with your insurance about coverage? My insurance covers MRIs, as well.

As for your original question, I would have the test.

I'm sure I'll be the only one that says I'd get the MRI but I would. My ankle was broken and a regular x-ray did not show the broken talus. My talus and ankle was in such bad shape I had to have surgery to help the healing process. None of this had shown up in a regular x-ray and I had months of x-rays before the MRI was done.

I'm sure I'll be the only one that says I'd get the MRI but I would. My ankle was broken and a regular x-ray did not show the broken talus. My talus and ankle was in such bad shape I had to have surgery to help the healing process. None of this had shown up in a regular x-ray and I had months of x-rays before the MRI was done.

Lol It looks like we posted at the same time, but something similar happened to my son. The xray in the ER did not show anything. I didn't believe that it was only a sprain because he was in so much pain. I took him to a pediatric orthopedist and he did have a fracture. He spent 6 weeks in an air cast and had PT for a couple of months and he's as good as new.

It's definitely worth it.

What would you do?
What happens if the MRI DOESN'T find a fracture?

What happens if the MRI DOESN'T find a fracture?

Ha, then I guess I'm just being a weiny.

I haven't paid any towards my deductible, so it would be the $600 deductible plus 20%. I am a hospital employee so I get a 50% discount, but it's 50% off whatever the insurance doesn't pay. If I'm understanding this right I'd still have to do the $600 deductible but I'd get 1/2 off the 20%.

If you insurance covers an MRI, I would go ahead and do it. Otherwise, I would try the "hard soled shoe" for a couple of weeks and see if that makes any difference. If not, then do the MRI.

If your doctor is suggesting it and you aren't healing then yes I would get the MRI. I was in the same situation. Twisted my foot in the shower and thought it was just a sprain. The next day it was worse and I couldn't bear weight. Went to the doctor x-ray found nothing. I was told stay off of it for 4 days if it started feeling better then it was just tendonitis or a slight tear to the tendon. If it didn't get better it could be a fracture or even torn tendon and an MRI would be needed.

I always error on the side of caution. So yes, I would get the MRI.

I would get the MRI, ankle and foot problems take forever to heal. A friend twisted her ankle and she went to a few different doctors until someone finally ordered a soft tissue MRI (I think thats what it was) they gave her orthotics to put in all of her shoes and after a year she's finally stable enough to go back to work..

Dont do more damage than what you already have if it hurts then something is wrong. I know the costs of MRI with insurance and it suckes, I had 3 last year and ended up paying about 175$ each. Most insurance cover MRI's, mine covers 80% luckily but being out of work or worse will be detrimental in the long run.

I would get it done. I fell over uneven concrete last September and heard a pop. I was sure I had broken my ankle. Went to the ER and was diagnosed with a sprain. Saw an Ortho right away as I was leaving for Disney in 10 days. Said it was a bad sprain and put me in a boot. After 3 months and still swollen she sent me for an MRI. That found torn cartilage and she kept insisting it was an old injury. Didn't trust her and went to my normal ortho. Long story short I am on my third dr and one that specializes in foot and ankle injuries. I finally found after a CT that I tore the cartilage and a ligament which also pulled a piece of bone with it and have a hyper extended tendon. I am in a custom made boot now because I also have stress fractures from the other injuries. It is 10 months and still not healed.

I know that $600 plus 20% is a lot but I would get it done.

What would you do?

My suggestion would be to pass-don't bother with the MRI. I did something very similar about 6 months ago. I was also concerned that it didn't get better more quickly, so I hobbled into my doctor's about 10 days later. Because my foot was still hot, she was worried I had a bone infection (I didn't) and possibly broken bones. So I had an X-ray, which showed nothing. Unfortunately, our stupid insurance company doesn't even pay for that now (or was it within the high deductible?), so if she'd suggested an MRI, I would have freaked! Fortunately, she didn't, though.

Absolutely I would get an MRI.

I have been dealing with issues with my feet for 2 yrs!!! Recovery is so slow it is maddening. Don't put it off.

I would go and see a podatrist and get physical therapy as well. To heal properly from an injury is best done with PT. Yep....learned that the hard way.:rolleyes1

FWIW, significant ankle and foot sprains can take much more than 12 weeks to heal completely - more if you keep walking on it without any extra support.

I'd split the difference, honestly. I'd talk with my ortho about a trial period of wearing the boot to see if it starts to relieve the pain. My guess is that would be 3-4 weeks, but I'm used to sports medicine timelines. If at that point you are still having problems, I'd invest in the MRI. At that point, knowing the specifics of the soft tissue injury will help inform a new course of treatment since bracing didn't work. But since the initial treatment is the same (and much cheaper than an MRI, nor are you concerned about recovery for competitive sports), I'd give that a bit to work before moving on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter