Would you be proud of your son or daughter if they Joined the Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may be just "other kids" to you, but to those who matter more, we are heroes.

I think this says it BEST....all of us DISers (minus a few unmentionables) DO see our military as HEROS and will defend y'all with our lives.:hug: :hug:

If you are talking about me save it! I think those that are in the military and those who are in the police force/firemen have a higher rate of chances of death than my 60 yr old mother in law that sells real estate or my 47 year old accountant brother for a catholic hospital in Colorado.

I also think it is highly ignorant to assume that those who go into the military are uneducated, unmotivated and lack the ability to think for themselves.

Honestly I was trying to stand up for those who are in the military who are being looked down upon by certain posters. I found the remarks highly elitest and ignorant and that's it.

If you want to imply that I said those that aren't in the military lack those assets and aren't in harms way knock yourself out. I was making a statement that MOST jobs honestly don't carry the same risk of death as those in the military on the front lines, those in police enforcement, DEA, Firemen and women and nothing more.

LIVING requires a risk every single day but I think there are those who have a greater risk of death than others and THAT was my point.

If you weren't implying me and my post then my apologies!

I'm done on this thread as I WILL get myself points or banned! Have a great week!

*** are you talking about
I have not implied a GD thing about any of your post. Ghee... someone here must believe everything is only about them

I believe she was talking about our Chicago and Lake Ariel.

I was supposed to be done with this thread but it got to me.........
I sure hope so as I would hate to be thought of as anything else! If that is true Sha_lyn PLEASE accept my apologies! It was just my post that was brought to light!

Carry on and now that dinner is here I'm off for real! :goodvibes

*** are you talking about
I have not implied a GD thing about any of your post. Ghee... someone here must believe everything is only about them

I apologized if I got it wrong. I was the one who was called out that "other" jobs are just as dangerous like teachers and managers at Wendys and "assumed...yeah I know what that means* that it had to do with my post. My bad...my apologies!

Carry on! And ETA I don't think it was all about me...it was mere coincidence that my post being called out about danger and then you posted. Nothing more nothing less! Have a great week!

Harry nor William will be put in harms way..even though Tony Blair along with George Bush were the invaders. It will be our children in harms way..Not Harry, nor Charles, nor Barbara Jr nor Jenna...:rolleyes:

If my child was in the military, I wouldn't want them serving anywhere NEAR the child of Tony Blair, GW Bush, John McCain, the Prince of Wales or any other notable parent. Those kids would be targeted by terrorists more than any other soldier, simply because of who their parents are. Because they are targets, manpower would have to be taken away from other duties to protect them. How does that help the overall mission?

I understand the frustration of the people who make the decisions not having to make the sacrifice, but in reality famous children would probably make matters worse.

The bottom line is, we have an all volunteer force. If an 18 year old wants to enlist, that's their choice. It does seem odd to me that we consider them adult enough to enlist at 18, but they aren't adult enough to drink until 21.

My former Captain (I work as a military contractor) was an O-3E. Which means he was an enlisted man when he joined. Then he became an officer. The E stood for enlisted. He was a darn proud that he was an enlisted man that made it to the rank of Captain. So not all officers start as an officer. Just the same as someone that joins as a PVT stays a PVT. Alot of CSM's (command sergeant major), 1SG (first sergeant) started at the bottom and through hard work made it to the top of the enlisted field. I honestly do not understand where a parent would actually wonder where they went wrong if their child joined the Army. My dear nephew was in the Army. One of the proudest days of my life, is when I went to Ft. Sill for his graduation ceremony. Especially when he was given a Bn coin for a perfect score on his APFT.

I was referring to those who just join the army Not officers.

In February, the Baltimore Sun wrote that there was "a significant increase in the number of recruits with what the Army terms 'serious criminal misconduct' in their background" -- a category that included "aggravated assault, robbery, vehicular manslaughter, receiving stolen property and making terrorist threats." From 2004 to 2005, the number of those recruits rose by more than 54 percent, while alcohol and illegal drug waivers, reversing a four-year decline, increased by more than 13 percent.

In June, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that, under pressure to fill the ranks, the Army had been allowing into its ranks increasing numbers of "recruits convicted of misdemeanor crimes, according to experts and military records." In fact, as the military's own data indicated, "the percentage of recruits entering the Army with waivers for misdemeanors and medical problems has more than doubled since 2001."

I apologized if I got it wrong. I was the one who was called out that "other" jobs are just as dangerous like teachers and managers at Wendys and "assumed...yeah I know what that means* that it had to do with my post. My bad...my apologies!

Carry on! And ETA I don't think it was all about me...it was mere coincidence that my post being called out about danger and then you posted. Nothing more nothing less! Have a great week!

Apology accepted. Please accept mine for gong off on you.
Obviously this is a subject we both feel passionately about.
ITA with you that there are career fields that are nearly/as/more dangerous.
I even thought of bring those up at one point, but felt it would fall on deaf ears (meaning those like the op who seem to feel like jobs that pus ones life on the line means they aren't worthy of "good" jobs)

Apology accepted. Please accept mine for gong off on you.
Obviously this is a subject we both feel passionately about.
UTA with you that there are career fields that are nearly/as/more dangerous.
I even thought of bring those up at one point, but felt it would fall on deaf ears (meaning those like the op who seem to feel like jobs that pus ones life on the line means they aren't worthy of "good" jobs)

Apology accepted here as well!!! No harm.....no foul!!!!!! :thumbsup2

Obviously, Russ is far too young to answer this (and technically he's only lived in Washington so far) but I agree! In our first two years of marriage, we lived in four different places. Two I loved, one I liked, one I disliked - but all have enriched my life in ways that could have never happened if DH wasn't military. I mean, there's no way I ever would have considered living in Mississippi if it weren't for him, but I consider that a powerful experience for my writing skills seeing race relations so very, well, black and white. I absolutely love living in Washington State and again, never would have moved this far if it weren't for the military. And I wouldn't have an extreme coffee addiction.

My Dad was stationed at Ft. Lewis right after I graduated high school but I got to spend two summers and two Christmas holidays visiting them. I loved it! Washington is such a beautiful state. If it wasn't so far from WDW we might have to consider moving out there someday. ;)

My only regret about moving around the world as an Army brat is that I did not appreciate it as much as I should have at the time. I may have lived all kinds of places but I was still an obnoxious teenager about it a lot of the time. Time and age have given me a much better perspective into how lucky I really was.

As for those who feel that the military is beneath them then I must say I feel a bit sorry for you. You must not know any military members and you must live a pretty boring life not ever getting to experience and know people who are not just like you. :sad2:

If my child was in the military, I wouldn't want them serving anywhere NEAR the child of Tony Blair, GW Bush, John McCain, the Prince of Wales or any other notable parent. Those kids would be targeted by terrorists more than any other soldier, simply because of who their parents are.
Because they are targets, manpower would have to be taken away from other duties to protect them. How does that help the overall mission?

I understand the frustration of the people who make the decisions not having to make the sacrifice, but in reality famous children would probably make matters worse.

The bottom line is, we have an all volunteer force. If an 18 year old wants to enlist, that's their choice. It does seem odd to me that we consider them adult enough to enlist at 18, but they aren't adult enough to drink until 21.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't want or expect the future Prince to be on the front lines, much for the reasons you stated. On the same token their "sacrifice for their country" is window dressing, as honorable as it may be in some respects. Who really believed Harry was going to Baghdad? 'specially with that red hair! ;) Hard to hide him!

It does seem odd to me that we consider them adult enough to enlist at 18, but they aren't adult enough to drink until 21.

I don't know if things have changed, but back in 2003 when DH was in pilot training, 18-20 year olds were allowed to drink on base. That's why all our class parties were on base. (Of course, if they lived off base, they had to make sure someone else drove home even if they had only one drink, etc.) DH said they basically don't card anyone on deployment, but they are only allowed one beer a day anyway out there, so....

I would be proud of her but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't try to talk her out of it.

I haven't been able to read much of this thread, because it just makes me SO MAD. :headache: :headache: :headache: I would be banned from the DIS if I told some of you what I really think right now.

However, because of people like my DH, you have freedom of speech. Enjoy your freaking freedom!!!! :mad:

25+ years & still counting. Joined the Army for money for college & decided to stay. It has been a GREAT experience & a success for him. Very proud of what he does for a living. It would be an enviable civilian job in the IT field.

However, I suppose some of you just consider him a dumbxxx because he does it for the MA Army National Guard full time & part time.

I haven't been able to read much of this thread, because it just makes me SO MAD. :headache: :headache: :headache: I would be banned from the DIS if I told some of you what I really think right now.

However, because of people like my DH, you have freedom of speech. Enjoy your freaking freedom!!!! :mad:

25+ years & still counting. Joined the Army for money for college & decided to stay. It has been a GREAT experience & a success for him. Very proud of what he does for a living. It would be an enviable civilian job in the IT field.

However, I suppose some of you just consider him a dumb....... because he does it for the MA Army National Guard full time & part time.

Tell you DH... THANK YOU... I for one appreciate what he and all of the other members of our armed forces are doing for us. Freedom is not Free! And while I might not agree 100% with the current administrations foreign policy, I'm going to support our troops 100%.

I would be extremely proud if either one of my DS's joined the service. My younger one probably will - it's all he's wanted to do since he was 2 years old.

I think the previous posters who have been talking trash about our service men and women need to catch the first bus to Canada or Mexico...we don't need you. Not everyone who joins the army, does so because they are too stupid to get another job - they do it because they LOVE this country and what it stands for.

My Original Question was "Would you be proud of your son or daugher" It was not an "I dont appreciate what veterans have done for me." I am glad and thankful they didnt have people like me in there familys. To stop them or talk them out of going to fight meaningless wars. If you want to be a Hero be a cop, be a firefigher, be a teacher. I for one refuse to waiting by a phone to find out my son will be home in a body bag ! If you have no problem getting that call then I trully take my hat off to you KUDOS !

I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't be proud:confused3

My Original Question was "Would you be proud of your son or daugher" It was not an "I dont appreciate what veterans have done for me." I am glad and thankful they didnt have people like me in there familys. To stop them or talk them out of going to fight meaningless wars. If you want to be a Hero be a cop, be a firefigher, be a teacher. I for one refuse to waiting by a phone to find out my son will be home in a body bag ! If you have no problem getting that call then I trully take my hat off to you KUDOS !

Being in the Army is MORE than just fighting wars! Its helping people....at home too! Every disaster. Every huge public gathering. Co-ordinating communication. ..............

:headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

I don't think its the people in the Army that need the education. :sad2:

geeessshhh
I ALWAYS tell my kids that they can do what they want - just do their best at it.

It was so sad to read this thread and the bs about 'we have enough money for college' blah blah blah...

I know several people who joined AFTER they went to college... they felt a need to do something for our country...
it is such a pity that they get NO respect for it :sad1:

THANK YOU to all of those making the choice to join and to all of your families

~~~going back into lurkdom~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter