Would you buy a resale with 2042 end date?

Lollipop's Mom

<font color=teal>Special trip with your little one
I am looking at buying DVC. If I can't be on monorail, my next fave resort is BWV. It seems to sell resale about $105/point.
Only thing is it expires in 2042 - so 18 years.
I could buy SSR for not much more with a longer date, but its not my first choice to own.
Thoughts?

I would never buy for someplace I didn’t love to stay unless I intended to always book elsewhere. You’re looking at a couple decades of trips at a place you consider just ok? Screw that. Shorter life in exchange for actually loving my vacation is a price I’d be willing to pay.

ETA- have you stayed SSR? If not maybe a quick trip is in order, you could find out it really is your jam after all.

You’ll find a lot of varying opinions on this but I definitely think 18 years at your favorite resort is better than more years somewhere else. BWV is a difficult resort to get into at 7mo. You really do have to own there to get consistent access. And according to many, that 7mo window is getting more and more difficult to swap into other resorts. Buy where you want to stay is truer than ever.

We recently bought 100pts at BCV at $135 knowing it was overpriced but in the end the numbers still have us ahead of cash bookings and we know BCV is somewhere we want regular access to. That being said, I recognize I say this from privileged position because we also own at other resorts with expirations well past 2042 so we know to isn’t our DVC endgame. If it was our only resort I’d be a little more wary, but then, if you know how DVC works then you know add-ons are likely in your future and you can always add other resorts as 2042 creeps closer😅

I think it comes down to how much being at a specific resort means to you. If you wouldn't be happy staying at Saratoga, I wouldn't go that route.

As Merlin said, 18 years is still a long time and represents many vacations. I bought at Boardwalk six years ago and it definitely wasn't the best deal with the 2042 end date, but I love staying there and have no regrets. I wanted to ensure I could easily book there for every trip (I usually split stay, but part of my trip is almost always at Boardwalk).

I am looking at buying DVC. If I can't be on monorail, my next fave resort is BWV. It seems to sell resale about $105/point.
Only thing is it expires in 2042 - so 18 years.
I could buy SSR for not much more with a longer date, but its not my first choice to own.
Thoughts?
I my opinion I would only buy there if it was my intent to own till the end. Trying to sell a 2042 resort that has less than 10 years left may be extremely difficult.

I my opinion I would only buy there if it was my intent to own till the end. Trying to sell a 2042 resort that has less than 10 years left may be extremely difficult.
This. If you want to buy it, ride it all the way to the ground.

giphy.gif

You should be able to buy SSR for much less than $105 per point.

For us SSR works because we plan to stay at all of the unrestricted resorts. So far that has not been a problem.

We do not travel at holiday or peak times.
This is me and my wife. Though we did just tack on a Poly for 100 before the numbers shot up on them.

18 years at BWI, a place you really like? Go for it. Lots of fun, many memories, great location (if you enjoy EP and HS). We wouldn't buy at SSR unless we knew we were fine staying there a decent percentage of the time.

Perhaps later down the line, something else will come up at another resort that has you buying there to enjoy something different!

While I would not buy a 2042 resort now, its because they are not top of my list anymore....RIV and VGF have replaced them.

But, DVC is too expensive to buy something and find out you struggle to get rooms at the place you want to be. Nothing is impossible, but those BWV is getting harder to book, and IMO, it will continue to do so in the next 10 years as more owners buy for the purpose of staying there (knowing it is short lived) or the current owners decide to get more use out of it than trading.

So, if BWV is where you want to be, I say spend the extra and go for it!

Yes, I thought I wouldn’t buy for a while due to the expiration date, but then realised I wouldn’t be happy unless I could reliably get a room at BCV. So I jumped in with 250 points which I will hold to the bitter end!

Also, I quite like the fact that I have a guaranteed get out of the dues in 2042!

Also, I quite like the fact that I have a guaranteed get out of the dues in 2042!

I think this kind of gets missed in some of the analysis - when we buy in, we are on the hook for years and years of annual fees. So there is less risk in a shorter term. It is very difficult to predict what things will look like in 30 years - you kind of have to have faith that Disney will keep things nice and popular.

I would buy where you love staying. The resale prices on BWV are pretty attractive, and as others have mentioned, BWV is difficult at 7 months if you’re planning on using points from elsewhere. I’m curious if DVC will eventually offer an extension like they did for OKW?

You should be able to buy SSR for much less than $105 per point.

For us SSR works because we plan to stay at all of the unrestricted resorts. So far that has not been a problem.

We do not travel at holiday or peak times.
All of the above. Plus we love staying @ SSR.

I went back and forth on this one for months...as the kind folks on this board will attest to. :) Despite loving Crescent Lake, I had it in my head that 2042 didn't make any sense under any circumstances...until it did. Found a BWV contract where the math worked for me and plan to use it exclusively at BWV.

So I say go for it...as long as YOU are comfortable with it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter