Would you buy your own ECV

NADINENURSE

Mouseketeer
I have severe back injury, have a manual wheelchair of my own that I use at local fairs shopping malls, department stores, etc. I can purchase a drive medical spitfire scout on Amazon for $800 using my medical flex account, we travel each year th either Disney or cruise. I feel like a burden having my family push me around :guilty:, if we rent in Disney it's $200 for the week about. So the big question, since I am 56 years young and will not get better, is the purchase wise or waste, we anticipate no major medical needs, it is already August , and I have $1400 left in the account, but agin , I feel guilty about spending the money, what if it is needed for. Medical issue that insur does not cover hubby sys I am nuts just buy it

I need your expert device Please ......

I have severe back injury, have a manual wheelchair of my own that I use at local fairs shopping malls, department stores, etc. I can purchase a drive medical spitfire scout on Amazon for $800 using my medical flex account, we travel each year th either Disney or cruise. I feel like a burden having my family push me around :guilty:, if we rent in Disney it's $200 for the week about. So the big question, since I am 56 years young and will not get better, is the purchase wise or waste, we anticipate no major medical needs, it is already August , and I have $1400 left in the account, but agin , I feel guilty about spending the money, what if it is needed for. Medical issue that insur does not cover hubby sys I am nuts just buy it

I need your expert device Please ......
I'll give you what personal experience I can. First, I have owned a Go-Go Ultra (by Pride), and now have a (Pacesaver) Plus III Jr, which is more like a full-size Pride Victory 9 or 10.

The place to purchase your scooter is Spinlife.com. They sell durable medical equipment, not as a side-line. They have people you can speak to, ask questions. Their product pages spell out features, details, reviews, warranties, manuals, options. SpinLife.com delivers free. Amazon has a listing for the Drive 3-wheel scooter you're interested in, and a listing for the Go-Go Elite Traveller 3-Wheel scooter. There's no info about battery options. There's no info about optional extras.

I chose the Pride Go-Go because Pride is probably the best-known name in scooters. If you look at scooter rentals in Orlando, most carry Pride equipment. Even in our Ohio Valley area, there are a few places that I could take my Pride scooter for repair (if needed). The scooter has never needed repair, however. I used it for about 4 years before I bought the larger scooter.

One regret I had about my Pride Go-Go was something I didn't learn until I had the scooter awhile. The standard 3-wheel small scooters of different brands, mostly come with 12V 12AH batteries (2). You need to replace them at least yearly. (Same for my bigger scooter.) The problem lies in the power and strength of 12AH batteries. If you're going uphill, it uses a ton of battery power, and your daily charge could deplete before the end of the day. I was glad to have a scooter at WDW, and on a Caribbean cruise with a stop at Key West and Cozumel. But the battery was severely tested just re-boarding the ship (gangway) at both ports. During our WDW trip, the battery didn't last the entire day at Epcot. Challenges such as the steep ramp up to the Monorail, and the steep ramp up to The Land building, plus miles of ins-and-outs at Epcot, multiplied by many hours of use, wore the battery out. Next trip, I brought my scooter, but at Epcot I rented one of those Disney scooters.

Guess this is what I've been leading to: The Go-Go Elite Traveller 3-Wheel scooter comes with 12V 12AH batteries, but there is the option at Spinlife.com to get the scooter with 12V 18AH batteries for $100 extra. As a veteran scooter user, I'm stating that the bigger batteries will be golden. The Achilles heel of scooters is battery life. You won't "tax" these 18AH batteries nearly as much as the 12AH batteries, and they'll be stronger and last longer between charges. (Charge daily when using your scooter, keep charged between uses.) Spinlife.com also lists an extra battery box you can buy and keep charged and handy. When I had the 12AH scooter, I eventually bought the extra 12AH battery box, and it came in handy.

Another thing I didn't like about the small scooter was, it was low to the ground. Tough to use it on grass. My bigger scooter is higher, more leg room, bigger tires, more cushy seat, better suspension, and powerful U-1 batteries (in case you're wondering why I moved up).

My DH used to put the Go-Go scooter in our mini-van. He just took the seat off and removed the battery pack. The rest of the scooter was small enough for DH to lift and fit with no further dis-assembly. However, my DH passed away a few years ago, and I had a scooter lift installed where the 3rd row of seats is. With me alone, I can handle the scooter in/out, and get my shopping and traveling done without needing assistance. I'm taking myself and my scooter to WDW in September!

Spinlife - Drive Medical Spitfire Scout: http://www.spinlife.com/Drive-Medic...cooter/spec.cfm?productID=103739#.U-BhV0jDykg
Spinlife - Pride Go-Go Elite Traveller Model SC40E: http://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Go-Go...Scooter/spec.cfm?productID=78301#.U-Bhy0jDyki

I own a pride go go elite traveller plus (this has the bigger battery) I have been visiting wdw for over 30 years and have arthritis For many years I rented scooters and then suddenly realised I was spending a large amount of money.
This is my third scooter and I have it for theme parks cruises etc and virgin atlantic carry it free. Under ADA rules any airline has to provide arrangements. Frankly I would go for it yes you can get battery issues eventually but I have learned over the years how to manage that. As an example I wouldn't go up a cruise line ramp I always get the cruise staff to take it up freewheel and walk slowly up myself. They are too steep and you are going to lose power.
It depends on where you are going and how it runs. For instance sometimes e.g. Animal Kingdom and sometimes epcot I do take a Disney scooter i.e. driving mine to the rental and then swapping out and getting them to charge mine. At MNSSP I do the same thing to make sure I can nip about to trick or treat without worrying. Overall I would not be without it
Jacqui

I'm in favor of getting a scooter. For one, it's not going to get any easier for those who push you in a wheelchair to continue to do so.

You will probably find yourself using a scooter more and more.

The lift for a scooter is a consideration, too. We currently take one a part and put it in the trunk. It takes my hubby and I both to do it. I can see this getting old at a certain point, too.

The heavy duty battery is a must. Also, keep in mind if you don't use it on a consistent basis you need to charge the battery at least weekly whether you ride or not.

I agree if you buy a small scooter you may have to rent a bigger one at times depending on the activity and terrain conditions.

I own my scooter I bought mine used from a local place they took my old scooters in trade so I ended up only paying $100 for a scooter they they checked completely and guarantied as far as batteries they must be charged weekly they can and will last several years that way

I really can't walk without my scooter. Here's a trick for going up a long ramp. But you need a friend or loved one to help. Accelerate as usual. You'll see the battery meter go down towards "low." Have your friend behind the scooter and have him/her place his hands on the seat back and push, while you are accelerating. It's not strenuous for your friend, since you're powering the scooter. But now you'll see your battery meter stay near "full." Another trick for the monorail ramp if alone: I can accelerate with my right hand, while pulling myself along the left railing with my left hand. It's easy, it works, and it saves precious battery power.

Nobody has ever answered this question: Why do scooters and wheelchairs at The Land in Epcot have to go up that dreadful ramp? The attractions in The Land are actually at ground level.

I really can't walk without my scooter. Here's a trick for going up a long ramp. But you need a friend or loved one to help. Accelerate as usual. You'll see the battery meter go down towards "low." Have your friend behind the scooter and have him/her place his hands on the seat back and push, while you are accelerating. It's not strenuous for your friend, since you're powering the scooter. But now you'll see your battery meter stay near "full." Another trick for the monorail ramp if alone: I can accelerate with my right hand, while pulling myself along the left railing with my left hand. It's easy, it works, and it saves precious battery power.

Nobody has ever answered this question: Why do scooters and wheelchairs at The Land in Epcot have to go up that dreadful ramp? The attractions in The Land are actually at ground level.

I didn't use the ramp: I used the lift! It's not obvious - it's round the corner near the restrooms.

I didn't use the ramp: I used the lift! It's not obvious - it's round the corner near the restrooms.
I use that, too. But it was down a time or 2 when we left Epcot. Also bad are the monorail ramps at TTC, and the one to the MK monorail platform. For those pushing a wheelchair, any of those ramps must be very tiring.

I really think I will buy my own,we are driving to FLa in full size car so it will have to go I the trunk can not afford to rent a SUV ridiculous in cost' , I do have the flex spending account for health needs so it will come from there and I think I will rent the Disney ECV, I do appreciate the great advice thanks to all

If I were you I would get your own scooter if possible. If you go to Disney a few times, the rentals will end up costing more than having your own. My sister in law has one. She was able to take it on airplanes and has a ramp installed in her van. It will give you a lot more independence and it sounds like you are an independent person. I wish you the best with your decision.

We just bought a scooter. Between my husband and I neither one of us can go long distances anymore. We really didn't want 2 so we will have to share. ;)
We kept going back and forth on getting one but then I realized one day that we had stopped going out to do things (like going to the parks, flea markets, etc.) and it was really interfering with our quality of life.
I ended up finding a great one on craigslist for $300. It is in excellent condition and has new batteries. It easily comes apart so we can transport it in our trunk. Of course, now that we finally got one we haven't had a chance to go out and use it yet because of my surgery, but I'm so excited to finally go do things again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter