Would you cancel DxDP?

epcotobsessed

DIS Veteran
I've had ADRs for a while but just did all of our FPs so our plans are more set now. I booked the DxDP but with an afternoon arrival on the first day (so only dinner that day) and a noon departure on the day we're leaving (so only breakfast that day), and with a 12 year old who counts as an adult but is very picky so we'll be paying OOP for all non-buffet meals for her (and a 14yo who eats everything, so that's a good use of adult credits), I am coming out with 5-6 extra credits. This is with a signature every night and a buffet breakfast every day, and often a TS lunch in between. I know I need to do the actual math because we might still technically save money vs. eating at all of these places OOP, even with converting some credits into snacks, but it's starting to feel like we'll be eating piles of food just to feel like we're getting our money's worth. We haven't gotten a dining plan in a while so maybe I'm missing something - anyone in a similar situation?

Dropping to the regular plan may be the best option for you. You could still use the 12 yr old credits toward some of your other meals and pay OOP for her. You may also need to scale back a bit on the restaurants, but at least you wouldn't feel like your eating just to maximize the plan. Take another look at your ADRs and decide if you really WANT to do all of them. Choose the must dos and do the math again.

It truly is a math exercise

The regular ddp could be an option but w a signature daily you will run out of credits quickly. Do you plan on apps? If so, ddp may not be a good value

It may be no dining plan could be your best option. Again, it is a math exercise.

It doesn't make sense to pay OOP and have credits left over. Could this be the chance for your picky water to order and try some different foods without feeling under any pressure from herself to like them or worry about the bank of Mummy or Daddy? Maybe just give her free rein to order and see where it goes.

I wonder if you just fell into that maximizing the plan trap. If you plan to pay OOP for a child and end up with extra credits, there is a glitch in your strategy.

I know it has already been stated, but you may need to do some math. Look at waht your family will actually order, and do not do so with any plan in mind. Add the cost up with and without the tax. (DDP foods are all taxed in the plan cost) Include alcohol and specialty beverages if that is how you normally would dine, snacks if you usually order them, as well as appetizers and desserts that yoru family woudl order. Don't include anything you normally do not order and try to stay true to how you like to eat on vacation.

Once you add it up you will have an idea which plan, if any works for you. I woudl never ourchase a plan, pay for meals OOP, knowing Ihave credits left over.

Thanks so much for the replies. As I'm thinking about canceling, I'm realizing the psychological aspects of the dining plan - pre-paying and not thinking about how much x meal is going to cost me is probably the only way we would eat at a signature every night (and I realize we are very lucky to be able to even consider this option) - probably the only way we would eat at a signature, period! I do believe that we have until the day before we leave to cancel the dining plan so I will keep debating this but right now I am leaning more toward keeping it.

Thanks so much for the replies. As I'm thinking about canceling, I'm realizing the psychological aspects of the dining plan - pre-paying and not thinking about how much x meal is going to cost me is probably the only way we would eat at a signature every night (and I realize we are very lucky to be able to even consider this option) - probably the only way we would eat at a signature, period! I do believe that we have until the day before we leave to cancel the dining plan so I will keep debating this but right now I am leaning more toward keeping it.

It is just about the only way I can give myself permission to do this as well. I always plan the meals I want, and then go for it, one way or the other. I will say that we seldom book enough signature meals to justify the DxDDP, and would only order a few appetizers, if any for the table normally. Given that, we generally book the regular plan and ay OOP for any extra we want. I plan my meals before choosing any plan because I would book to a specific plan rather than to the meals we actually want

I do believe that we have until the day before we leave to cancel the dining plan

Any changes to your dining plan have to be done 72 hrs before check in, 48 hrs if you're DVC.
However, you will almost certainly be charged the $50 change fee if you decide to cancel that late.

Just wanted to give an update in case it's helpful for anyone - I did just cancel the DxDP. With my picky 11 year old ordering off kids menus whenever possible (and me refusing to use an adult credit for that) we would have had many extra credits and I was having trouble using enough of the credits for DH, DD, and me. We have done three TS meals in a day and it is not for us - too much food and too much time waiting, and even with signatures it still was feeling like I was booking places just to book places. The total cost of the DxDP would have been about $2800 for us for 6 nights. I will keep track for my own interest and see if we spend that - I really don't think we will and I did keep some ADRs at signatures (Yachtsman, Narcoose's, Jiko). Thanks for all the advice!

Just wanted to give an update in case it's helpful for anyone - I did just cancel the DxDP. With my picky 11 year old ordering off kids menus whenever possible (and me refusing to use an adult credit for that) we would have had many extra credits and I was having trouble using enough of the credits for DH, DD, and me. We have done three TS meals in a day and it is not for us - too much food and too much time waiting, and even with signatures it still was feeling like I was booking places just to book places. The total cost of the DxDP would have been about $2800 for us for 6 nights. I will keep track for my own interest and see if we spend that - I really don't think we will and I did keep some ADRs at signatures (Yachtsman, Narcoose's, Jiko). Thanks for all the advice!

You could always put that amount on a Disney gift card and use it for your meals. That way you can order what you want and see how much you save. With the extra you save get some souvenirs for everyone. You had planned to spend that much money anyway. If you do report back to let us know how that worked for you.

I am a nut. We made our final payment today and I added back the DxDP :yo-yo:
I was able to get back all the ADRs I had cancelled.
We decided we would relax more if we prepaid and had the freedom to order whatever we wanted.
I know for sure we will lose money on my 12 year old who won't eat anywhere near $117/day of food but hoping that older DD, DH, and I can make up for it. We are doing all signatures for dinner, paying OOP for 12 year old to get a kids' meal, and realizing that many of those meals would be often be $100+/pp for the rest of us was what made us decide to go for it.
I will keep track of everything and post back!

We decided we would relax more if we prepaid and had the freedom to order whatever we wanted.
I know for sure we will lose money on my 12 year old who won't eat anywhere near $117/day of food but hoping that older DD, DH, and I can make up for it. We are doing all signatures for dinner, paying OOP for 12 year old to get a kids' meal, and realizing that many of those meals would be often be $100+/pp for the rest of us was what made us decide to go for it.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

You just might be surprised on how much your picky eater does indeed eat. When we did the DDP 10 years ago with my very picky 12yo daughter, after she saw what my "very open to try anything eater" in my son her eyes opened very wide and she indeed tried seafood she would have NEVER even considered thanks to my son and what she saw on her plate and now in her mid 20's she has a very open palate.......whos knows......

Some of your dining options might even do an adult size kids meal also so maybe ask. Have a great trip. We love the DxDP. Remember you get App, Entree, and Desert with every meal and have 2 snacks also so if your too full for the snacks they make great gifts for co-workers and friends. Our favorite is the custom made rice krispy treats at Disney Springs at Goofy's candy shop. They will wrap them for you to take home.

Disney treats for the people watching our dogs is an excellent idea! I wouldn't have thought to ask that about an adult sized kids meal - if we're near the end of the trip with extra credits, which seems likely, I will ask for that. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter