Would you change MK days because of a thunderstorm?

sttina

Earning My Ears
Debating whether to change MK day to another day because of impending thunderstorms. I would lose Fast Pass choices. My options would be day of arrival or home bound day. Both would be fairly long days at a park. OR stick with original plan and hope for the rides to stay open. I've done Disney in rain before.

How far out are we talking? Florida weather changes day to day, so unless this is tomorrow's weather, I wouldn't count on it to be correct! Also, thunderstorms don't last all day, do they? So most of your day should be fine. We've done MK during thunderstorms - just make sure you are in a good spot to rest/wait for a half hour or so.

Last edited:
I'd keep with the plans. Only the outdoor rides would be closed for thunderstorms, all the indoor ones will be running. Lol, we ended up doing Small World twice in a row during a thunderstorm, just to stay out of the worst of it...and get a ride. Before you go, locate the inside rides/shows (and the inside rides with inside queues!) and head there at the first sign of raindrops--Philharmonic, Monster Laugh, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, country bears, even things like Pirates, etc.

Unless there is a Tropical Storm, or Hurricane inbound, I would not change my plans. Pop up storms happen all the time in Florida. As a result, storms are in the forecast pretty often there. That doesn't mean one will happen, or that it will happen over Magic Kingdom. Even if it does, the likelihood is that it will be a short storm, and the sun will be back out in no time.

Unless there is a Tropical Storm, or Hurricane inbound, I would not change my plans. Pop up storms happen all the time in Florida. As a result, storms are in the forecast pretty often there. That doesn't mean one will happen, or that it will happen over Magic Kingdom. Even if it does, the likelihood is that it will be a short storm, and the sun will be back out in no time.

This!

I have pulled out of my driveway and it's raining cats and dogs! Five minutes down the road perfectly sunny! Not a cloud in the sky! When we went in 2015, it was raining on our EPCOT day. I had son and I in ponchos, hubby said he was fine. Within 10 minutes this time, rain stopped and the sun popped out. I've lived in FL since 1994, you'd think it wouldn't surprise me anymore! :lmao::lmao:

Nope. Most of our trips have been fairly rainy, one hurricane, three or four tropical storms, and some just plain rain/storms. Wear Keens, put on a rain jacket, and go on with your day.

The one miserable, truly miserable evening we had at MK in the rain was the year we went in February for a short anniversary trip. We went to the Pirate and Princess party and there was ankle-deep water in Tomorrowland.

I think the only park at which I would allow weather to affect my plans is Animal Kingdom, and even then I would think really hard about the impact on Fastpasses.

I would never change a park due to weather.
Weather is just a thing you have to deal with if you want go to somewhere.
Besides MK has the most attractions that stay open during a thunderstorm as it has the most attractions that are fully enclosed.
Also if an attraction that you have a FP+ for is down due to weather during yoru time it will convert to an anytime FP+ which you can use to do the attraction later or another attraction.

No! Book fastpasses for outdoor rides that close and then use them to ride anything (they won't include Dwarfs or Peter Pan).

No! Book fastpasses for outdoor rides that close and then use them to ride anything (they won't include Dwarfs or Peter Pan).

They will if that is what your FP was for.
And to be honest I don't know if those attractions would be excluded even if that is not what your FP was for.

I wouldn't change my plans because of thunderstorms or rain. Like others have said rain is usually an off & on thing in FL unless it is a tropical storm or hurricane.

Use it to your advantage! It rains all the time at WDW. When it looks like a storm about to start, book a FP+ for Dumbo and get the anytime FP+. Plenty of shows and indoor attractions to duck into.

Nope, we would never change our park plans due to the weather -- unless as said above there's a hurricane or tropical storm of some sort about to arrive.

No way.

There are Thunderstorms every day in Florida, especially in Summer; they're usually a quick, passing thing in the middle of the afternoon...

Changing it around is mostly futile because the climate in Florida leads to thunderstorms most days.

Last May it was really nasty weather in the evening when I was as DHS. Puring rain, thunder and lightning. I decided to go and eat at the Commissary, as did many others and decide if it was worth staying as there was talk of the fireworks being cancelled, I believe Fantasmic had already been cancelled. As it happened it started to clear about 45 minute before SWGN, but, by then many people had decided to leave, so the ride lines were short including Toy Story Mania and there was hardly anyone there for the fireworks. So always hold out if you can, the weather can change in a snap and you may be able to get more done.

We plan on being there next week and it shows showers all week, I was hoping it would be scattered and not all day. We’re going to push through because we are flying across the country for this trip,I’m a little worried though, any advice?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter