Would you consider DCL's menus too American?

I don't mind DCL food. I do tend to order the same things each cruise. I do have to say on my transatlantic cruise though I was quite sick of the food by the end. I think 7 day cruises are about max of eating DCL food. I do love longer cruises, but in the future I'd eat more in the ports when available (obviously on a transatlantic that's not really possible).

I don't mind DCL food. I do tend to order the same things each cruise. I do have to say on my transatlantic cruise though I was quite sick of the food by the end. I think 7 day cruises are about max of eating DCL food. I do love longer cruises, but in the future I'd eat more in the ports when available (obviously on a transatlantic that's not really possible).
We were on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise with DCL and as soon as we got off the ship my husband demanded „real food“. 🤣 There is only so much cruise line food you can eat before it feels repetitive.

We have actually started to skip dinners and just make do with the meager offerings you get on the ship in the evening. At least it meant that we were hungry enough to get some of the snacks in the pub that come out late at night. It also frees up time!

Real eggs on a cruise are rare. That’s actually not a bad idea . Weird yes.
Sure saw plenty on our cruise. They had a huge pan of fried eggs, and hard boiled eggs, hard to fake those. And let's be honest, even the liquid eggs are real.

Real eggs on a cruise are rare. That’s actually not a bad idea . Weird yes.
With the exception of the horrid scrambled eggs made from powdered eggs, the poached, fried, and hard cooked eggs are all quite “real”. Also the eggs used to make the freshly cooked omelettes at the omelette station. I never touch the scrambled eggs, but routine have poached eggs or an omelette for breakfast many mornings.

Speaking of egg salad, on our Lufthansa flight a few weeks ago, they served everyone egg salad sandwiches as a snack. I thought that was a weird choice too, given that a lot of people don't even like the smell.

The salad sandwiches are really common on Lufthansa, especially in Germany. Germans have an affinity for salads, most anyway. They usually serve an egg, sometimes ham, and a sausage, Wurstsalat.

Since you are all talking about plane food, some of the most lovely that I had was on Japan Air from Tokyo to DFW. There was a creamy silken tofu that was fabulous. The rest of the meal was good too but that stuck out.

I think there are differences which sort of run through the palate of American folks and say European people, there very much is a ‘sweet tooth’ aspect, with even American bread tasting a bit sweet. I find it a bit mad when actually feel the best American food is BBQ brisket or ribs etc. I dont feel like curries or south east asian stuff translates well into dishes designed to suit the palate. Thats not a criticism because there are things which American food is vastly superior to other aspects of international fare (BBQ, burgers, a lot of the stuff coming out of california just now is really exciting, a real renaissance of using native ingredients), id actually say that the only thing i flat out wont eat in America is chocolate or ‘candy’ (just cannot eat reeses). Im probably in the minority in this thread in that I feel like DCL actually does quite a good job with the food, they get the umami right, i just feel like theres maybe wee bit too much in terms of portion sizes which puts me off/overwhelms. I dont particularly like eating in Cabanas because seeing people with bad manners/gluttony (a wee bit of excess is fair enough, you’re on vacation, but some folks just act revolting), but hey thats me so i make the adjustment and eat elsewhere. In summary I think Americans are a bit hard on their own food, when you embrace the melting pot and celebrate the ingredients it can be fantastic, DCL is doing a decent job. Lets face it a pizza on a cruise ship is never going to compare with one from a pizza place in Naples, but it doesnt have to, because its still tasty.

make friends with the staff and tell them you love indian food. watch the magic happen.

also, a lot of the lighter fare or vegetable options tend to be less "american" - that's where we wind up ordering from a lot of the time.

I think there are differences which sort of run through the palate of American folks and say European people, there very much is a ‘sweet tooth’ aspect, with even American bread tasting a bit sweet. I find it a bit mad when actually feel the best American food is BBQ brisket or ribs etc. I dont feel like curries or south east asian stuff translates well into dishes designed to suit the palate. Thats not a criticism because there are things which American food is vastly superior to other aspects of international fare (BBQ, burgers, a lot of the stuff coming out of california just now is really exciting, a real renaissance of using native ingredients), id actually say that the only thing i flat out wont eat in America is chocolate or ‘candy’ (just cannot eat reeses). Im probably in the minority in this thread in that I feel like DCL actually does quite a good job with the food, they get the umami right, i just feel like theres maybe wee bit too much in terms of portion sizes which puts me off/overwhelms. I dont particularly like eating in Cabanas because seeing people with bad manners/gluttony (a wee bit of excess is fair enough, you’re on vacation, but some folks just act revolting), but hey thats me so i make the adjustment and eat elsewhere. In summary I think Americans are a bit hard on their own food, when you embrace the melting pot and celebrate the ingredients it can be fantastic, DCL is doing a decent job. Lets face it a pizza on a cruise ship is never going to compare with one from a pizza place in Naples, but it doesnt have to, because its still tasty.
You have some good points, but that pizza is not tasty. LoL. I think gas station pizza is actually better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter