• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you cruise with DCL if they asked to have proof of CV vaccine?

Will you cruise if a vaccine is mandatory ?

• Yes

Votes: 183 79.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 20.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friendly reminder that this thread is to discuss if YOU would still sail if the vaccine were required, not to debate the process of vetting a vaccine, and certainly not to discuss what the government will do outside of cruising. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd go. It's just another flut shot IN A SENSE. Big deal. Still way too much conspiracy theory floating around here.

But we have danced around two aspects of this. While mentioned earlier (and never went anywhere), I'm assuming DCL has the legal authority to prevent you from boarding if you don't have the right credentials?

And that's the kicker. So I get the 'shot'. How do I prove this to DCL? You're telling me they're going to be able to review and accept an untold number of variations on a theme (the proof) AND be able to detect fraud. Both paper and electronic? Uh-huh, yeah, and I got a bridge to sell. The logistics of requiring proof is, while not mind-boggling, likely beyond any cruise line's ability to implement as part of a standardized boarding process.

This is not that simple. There is a small segment of the population that can't receive a vaccine like this because of a medical condition which could (strong possibility) react in such a way that the person would have a life threatening event. Do they get a pass or would you just disqualify them from leading a normal life? This is just one example; I'm sure there are many others.

Yeah, I'd go. It's just another flut shot IN A SENSE. Big deal. Still way too much conspiracy theory floating around here.

But we have danced around two aspects of this. While mentioned earlier (and never went anywhere), I'm assuming DCL has the legal authority to prevent you from boarding if you don't have the right credentials?

And that's the kicker. So I get the 'shot'. How do I prove this to DCL? You're telling me they're going to be able to review and accept an untold number of variations on a theme (the proof) AND be able to detect fraud. Both paper and electronic? Uh-huh, yeah, and I got a bridge to sell. The logistics of requiring proof is, while not mind-boggling, likely beyond any cruise line's ability to implement as part of a standardized boarding process.

When I had to receive the yellowfever vaccine to travel within East Africa I had to bring along documentation and present it. I imagine if they require proof it would be like that. You'd already have to get fake papers to cruise, either a birth certificate or passport, so I'm not sure what your argument is trying to prove?

YF-certificate.jpg

Official shot records would be the typical proof.

No, I would not sail with any company that required that. They don't require any vaccinations for any other diseases right now, so why would they start? They won't, nor will any other cruise companies.

Once there are good treatments for the virus and the vaccine is out, none of us will have to care who is or isn't vaccinated onboard except for ourselves. No one will end up "trapped on a ship" or refused to be let off anymore, so it won't matter. Like the flu and any other illness, it will be travel at your own risk, just as it has been up until now.
Really? You might want to double check that. #YelllowFever Vaccine requirements for certain trips. Not on Disney right now (they don't sail to those countries), but some countries require certain immunizations to visit their nations.

I answered yes originally, and it's still yes (my uncle has been working on a vaccine since March and he's debunked a lot of conspiracies for us, but that's a different thread)

However, I also wouldn't mind if they didnt force people (I'd be vaccinated so I'd be protected lol), but, if there were signs of it onboard and you can prove you've had the vaccine, you're free to do what you want around the ship, and go home at the end, but if you can't, then you get put in isolation if required and left onboard if countries dont let you off!

(If I get to go back as crew I'm 99% sure I'd have to have it anyway, so no point getting worked up about it, they force us to have the MMR, chicken pox (even though people don't get vaccinated for it in my country and I had it as a kid) and flu every flu season...)

Yes. I also assume if DCL requires it, other lines will as well, so I doubt you could just jump to another line.

keep in mind it’s not just the passengers, it’s also for the safety of the crew. Dcl does not want the crew to get infected because some passenger brings it onboard. They are not willing to risk another shut down. After all these months dcl is still trying to get their crew members healthy and home. This may end up being a choice each company has to make for the greater good. if getting the vaccine is required for future travel, air and cruise, we will have to decide what we are comfortable with.

Really? You might want to double check that. #YelllowFever Vaccine requirements for certain trips. Not on Disney right now (they don't sail to those countries), but some countries require certain immunizations to visit their nations.

We are discussing Disney cruises. Any other type of travel is moot.

You said:
They don't require any vaccinations for any other diseases right now, so why would they start? They won't, nor will any other cruise companies.

OK, so DCL doesn't go to South America, or any of the other countries that require a Yellow Fever immunization. But other cruise lines do. And, if the itinerary on those cruises stops at a port that requires that (or any other specific) immunization, and you show up without proof you have it, you will be denied boarding.

You said:

OK, so DCL doesn't go to South America, or any of the other countries that require a Yellow Fever immunization. But other cruise lines do. And, if the itinerary on those cruises stops at a port that requires that (or any other specific) immunization, and you show up without proof you have it, you will be denied boarding.
Then I amend my statement to read that most cruises anyone on this board would take will not travel anywhere that requires it. My point stands. It won’t happen.

You said:

and it is not out of the realm of imagination that some of the island nations might require it. Bahamas, BVI, Etc.

Then I amend my statement to read that most cruises anyone on this board would take will not travel anywhere that requires it. My point stands. It won’t happen.
If a country would require it for entry, then DCL, or any other cruise line that wants to port in that country will require it for boarding. Just because DCL (at this time) doesn't visit any countries that currently REQUIRE specific immunizations, it doesn't mean that people on this forum don't travel on cruise lines that do.

If a country would require it for entry, then DCL, or any other cruise line that wants to port in that country will require it for boarding. Just because DCL (at this time) doesn't visit any countries that currently REQUIRE specific immunizations, it doesn't mean that people on this forum don't travel on cruise lines that do.
Like I said, *most* people on this board don’t. But if you’d like to continue to twist my words to argue a point that is pointless because no one knows the future, be my guest.

I wish my answer was cut and dry, but it just isn't. The quick answer is: absolutely.

The nuanced answer is.....ehhhhh maybe. It has nothing to do with "personal freedom" and all that jazz. It has nothing to do with being an anti-vaxxer.

It more has to do with my comfort with the vaccine itself. Is it legit? Who is the source? Has there been enough testing, or was it rushed through the process? If I'm not feeling comfortable with a vaccine to the point I don't feel comfortable getting it...then at that point, a vaccine requirement would keep me from sailing.

But, I can't see Disney having any sort of requirement like that without a rock-solid vaccine, backed by multiple agencies and research institutions.

Except as an indicator of what cruises may do if they go down this route. I don't find it unreasonable to view how other types of travel or lines deal with it. I do not think DCL is going to reinvent a system all their own when they can just use what someone else figured out and works, especially not to start.

Like I said, *most* people on this board don’t. But if you’d like to continue to twist my words to argue a point that is pointless because no one knows the future, be my guest.

Whether or not most people on this board go on other cruise lines that currently travel to countries that require vaccinations is also moot. This thread is based on IF it IS required.

Honestly, most people who graduate from Disney cruises go on to cruise other lines that cruise the much larger world. I don't think @PrincessShmoo is twisting your words. She's trying to give people some information that maybe they do not presently have and that you appear to be unaware of.

Vaccination requirements are normal in the world. Once Disney adds their new ships, they are going to have to reach out and travel to other countries besides the ones they cruise to in 2019/2020. Lots of them already require vaccinations and if there is one for C-19, it may very well be added to their requirements.

If you've never been on the State Department website, this is their statement:

Vaccinations Are Required for Entry to Some Countries

Some countries require foreign visitors to carry an International Certificate of Vaccination, also known as a Yellow Card, or other proof that they have had certain inoculations or medical tests before entering or transiting their country. Before you travel, check the country information and contact the foreign embassy of the country to be visited or transited through for current entry requirements.

I answered yes. A vaccination requirement is pretty much the only way I'm getting on a ship. The thought of being stuck in my cabin for weeks if someone tests positive ... shiver. It's the threat of quarantine that will keep me off a ship. I can't think of any other way other than a vaccine or "silver bullet" therapeutic that could prevent the threat of quarantine.

and it is not out of the realm of imagination that some of the island nations might require it. Bahamas, BVI, Etc.
I agree. These small island countries are very much dependent on tourism but could not handle huge numbers of people in their hospitals. It wouldn't surprise me if they require it. In fact, I believe after one country stands up to say they want only vaccinated tourists, many others will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter