Would you ever go on a Disney Cruise?

I don't think so. Maybe when the kids were younger, but even then, it always felt like price gouging in the name of Disney. Yes, their ships seem to have noticeably larger rooms, but I have yet to see a trip report or video that made me say "Wow! It really looks like it's worth the thousands extra!" I know people say that Disney includes certain things in their base pricing that other cruises nickel and dime on, but I did the math after the RCCL cruise we went on in 2022 and that's just not the case. The extras I paid for (outside of insurance and gratuities)...a drink package, internet, and excursions. Not to mention that Disney doesn't offer things like drink packages that you can get on other cruise lines. I know certain DIS personalities loved to say that DCL is the gold standard. Some went as far as essentially shaming people who opted for other lines. Maybe there are certain things that are better, but it always felt more like a tacky ploy to earn more profits for their company.

ABD seems to be the same way. We went on a Trafalgar Tour of Europe back in 2000 and while we were on the young side for this company, it was a phenomenal trip...and they are considered better than ABD in a number of travel circles. I have friends that work for Collette and Backroads and the things they share look so much more impressive than anything I've seen in the ABD materials. I can't see paying the Disney prices there either. For that matter, places like Aulani also fit into this opinion mix.

Ultimately, if I'm going to buy into Disney pricing...there better be parks involved!

We did a Disney cruise about 10-11 years ago. The boys were quite young. A few years later we were ready to cruise again, and the prices seemed so much higher than the other cruise lines. We have since done two Carnival cruises. We go to the parks to get our Disney fix.

Unlikely, unless it was with our DISer group. My husband and I have only done one cruise together (summer 2023) but have our second booked for next year. However, the experience on the cruise line we chose for both the first and now second more matches our expected cost for value and likes and desires more than DCL ever could and the cost is not all that different either in fact it's more expensive in a variety of cruises I've checked and the cruise line we are on is above DCL in class.

To give a breakdown the two 2025 cruises I can see that are at least the most similar to the 12 day western Med we are taking one is $6K more on DCL (12 day cruise) than our cruise and the other is $2K more on DCL (11 day). With DCL there are still additional charges such as tipping and mandatory gratuity plus costs in alcohol and specialty dining which is all included on the cruise. This is comparing verandah to verandah.

Technically we have tentatively been invited to an Alaskan cruise (likely Carnival or Royal Caribbean) for next year with father-in-law and his wife (and with her adult kids) but we are committed already to our cruise and then mother-in-law has been begging for another family vacation (that one..we'll see) for 2025. Personally we don't cruise the way father-in-law and his wife cruise so it probably would be a mismatch, although Alaska would appeal to us in lieu of the Caribbean (which we would likely decline entirely going on a cruise with them there).

I know I would like the Disney theming of the DCL ships, actually quite a lot really, but the experiences aren't as necessary or wanted to select them at this point.

I've heard great things about the service on Disney cruises, but I'm not sure if I would book one. I've cruised before, but not with Disney. Right now, the only type of cruise that interests me is a Greek Island cruise, followed by a week on land. I think with cruises that focus heavily on ports, I would be less concerned about the cruise line compared to the time spent in ports.

In my opinion, cruise lines fall into different categories: there are the 'mids' like Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and NCL; then there's Disney in its own category, a step above; and finally, there are the more upscale options like Seabourn, Regent, and Silversea. The cost can vary based on travel dates, ship, and cabin type, but ultimately, I would prefer to sail with one of the upscale liners, even if Disney turns out to be less expensive overall.

We have been on three Disney cruises (Fantasy, Magic x2). We loved them but we sailed in Concierge and honestly it is just way way too expensive now.

No more cruising for me after the last 10 day cruise I ended up in quarantine and only saw 1 port.... :rotfl2: In addition Disney is insanely expensive as a cruise line and at this stage of my life there's more value in spending $$ on a different cruise line and getting seriously upgraded rooms vs Disney cruise rooms.

I've heard great things about the service on Disney cruises, but I'm not sure if I would book one. I've cruised before, but not with Disney. Right now, the only type of cruise that interests me is a Greek Island cruise, followed by a week on land. I think with cruises that focus heavily on ports, I would be less concerned about the cruise line compared to the time spent in ports.

In my opinion, cruise lines fall into different categories: there are the 'mids' like Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and NCL; then there's Disney in its own category, a step above; and finally, there are the more upscale options like Seabourn, Regent, and Silversea. The cost can vary based on travel dates, ship, and cabin type, but ultimately, I would prefer to sail with one of the upscale liners, even if Disney turns out to be less expensive overall.
Seabourn is the cruise line we did last year and one we're doing next March. It's the opposite in terms of kid-friendly to DCL and when people on the FB pages bring up they are thinking about one with their young kid most suggest DCL instead.

To your comment about port intensive cruises ours last year was that 7 days/6 nights and no sea days. The ship was still very important to our experience, so was the room. The ship we were on and the ship we will be on next year (sister to the one we already sailed) are 100% all verandah and having breakfast out there in the mornings was very nice. I know people do talk about if you're in ports all day the ship becomes less important but I personally felt it was still big. From dining options to room accommodations to the vibe of the ship.

I agree you want adequate time in ports especially for the money spent but realistically most people will be tired from doing all the port activities especially day after day that what the ship has to offer when you're done still matters. Plus depending on the port you can go to it do an activity come back and do something on the ship (dining, activity, swimming, relaxing, showering, etc) and then go back out. Not all cruise lines will make that easy to do. Even Viking has preferences based on what room category you booked in terms of getting off the ship early. Seabourn does not do that although they do funnel those on an early morning excursion out first if they can for obvious reasons but it's not dependent on the room you booked.

For us majority of the ports were tendering ones and it was super easy to use Seabourn's with little to no wait. We didn't spend a whole lot of time actually in the port of Vodice, Croatia even though there was plenty of time in port for the ship because we didn't do an excursion. So we ended up going back for lunch had sushi (well a bento box with cooked items as is what the sushi restaurant does for lunch) then had afternoon tea and relaxed a bit in the room all before leaving the port. That said leaving the port by 5 or 6pm (seems to be fairly normal) does not leave time to have dinner or see sites in the port so I can understand that being a con. The one port I know Seabourn does consistently late or overnight is Ephesus because they do a special concert (included) for the passengers in the ancient city and that occurs at night.

I preferred the way Seabourn did not have assigned dining at all. We usually decided where we wanted to eat right before dinner by looking at the menus for each place that day. The only one we knew we wanted to do was for formal night eating at The Restaurant (which is where formal night applies) otherwise it was just up in the air.

I think the river cruises are easier to get those overnight ports which I do like the appeal of but would consider that a different type of vacation. If it's a more average cruise length 7-10-ish days with overnight ports it usually means overall less ports you'll see.

Our cruise next year is 12 days with 2 sea days so still port intensive just extra days added on with getting between ports than our last cruise.

Many of the Seabourn regulars have done Regent, Silversea and now Explora, also Oceania and Azamara. I would put DCL two steps below Seabourn, Regent, Silversea and Explora with Oceania and Azamara below them but above DCL. Oceania and Regent for example are owned by NCL. Azamara until a few years ago was owned by RCL. Seabourn owned by Carnival. Explora Journeys is new to the market and is MSC getting into the luxury/ultra luxury market.

Nope. I'd rather go on either a cheaper cruise (mass market) or a more posh one (bucket list luxury cruise). I'm only open to cruising in cold areas like Alaska, the arctic, Canada, etc. I also want as close to zero kids on the ship as possible, which rules out Disney.

Seabourn is the cruise line we did last year and one we're doing next March. It's the opposite in terms of kid-friendly to DCL and when people on the FB pages bring up they are thinking about one with their young kid most suggest DCL instead.

To your comment about port intensive cruises ours last year was that 7 days/6 nights and no sea days. The ship was still very important to our experience, so was the room. The ship we were on and the ship we will be on next year (sister to the one we already sailed) are 100% all verandah and having breakfast out there in the mornings was very nice. I know people do talk about if you're in ports all day the ship becomes less important but I personally felt it was still big. From dining options to room accommodations to the vibe of the ship.

I agree you want adequate time in ports especially for the money spent but realistically most people will be tired from doing all the port activities especially day after day that what the ship has to offer when you're done still matters. Plus depending on the port you can go to it do an activity come back and do something on the ship (dining, activity, swimming, relaxing, showering, etc) and then go back out. Not all cruise lines will make that easy to do. Even Viking has preferences based on what room category you booked in terms of getting off the ship early. Seabourn does not do that although they do funnel those on an early morning excursion out first if they can for obvious reasons but it's not dependent on the room you booked.

For us majority of the ports were tendering ones and it was super easy to use Seabourn's with little to no wait. We didn't spend a whole lot of time actually in the port of Vodice, Croatia even though there was plenty of time in port for the ship because we didn't do an excursion. So we ended up going back for lunch had sushi (well a bento box with cooked items as is what the sushi restaurant does for lunch) then had afternoon tea and relaxed a bit in the room all before leaving the port. That said leaving the port by 5 or 6pm (seems to be fairly normal) does not leave time to have dinner or see sites in the port so I can understand that being a con. The one port I know Seabourn does consistently late or overnight is Ephesus because they do a special concert (included) for the passengers in the ancient city and that occurs at night.

I preferred the way Seabourn did not have assigned dining at all. We usually decided where we wanted to eat right before dinner by looking at the menus for each place that day. The only one we knew we wanted to do was for formal night eating at The Restaurant (which is where formal night applies) otherwise it was just up in the air.

I think the river cruises are easier to get those overnight ports which I do like the appeal of but would consider that a different type of vacation. If it's a more average cruise length 7-10-ish days with overnight ports it usually means overall less ports you'll see.

Our cruise next year is 12 days with 2 sea days so still port intensive just extra days added on with getting between ports than our last cruise.

Many of the Seabourn regulars have done Regent, Silversea and now Explora, also Oceania and Azamara. I would put DCL two steps below Seabourn, Regent, Silversea and Explora with Oceania and Azamara below them but above DCL. Oceania and Regent for example are owned by NCL. Azamara until a few years ago was owned by RCL. Seabourn owned by Carnival. Explora Journeys is new to the market and is MSC getting into the luxury/ultra luxury market.
Oh wow, thank you for sharing your experience on Seabourn! Our kids are 18 and 15 now, and while they would probably still get a kick out of a Disney cruise (or any cruise), they would not be invited on this particular trip.

Id like to try one so I could have a real opinion about it. They do look like fun.

Oh wow, thank you for sharing your experience on Seabourn! Our kids are 18 and 15 now, and while they would probably still get a kick out of a Disney cruise (or any cruise), they would not be invited on this particular trip.
Trying out one of the upper lines with just you and your significant other is perfect for seeing how it could work with your kids. For Seabourn there aren't activities for kids, no teen clubs, etc but that doesn't mean they would automatically be bored, it does however mean it's more focused on an adult atmosphere. I know people worry about drunkenness but we did not really see that and generally that isn't mentioned as a big concern. Alcohol is included (which is why people might think it's just drunkards) though you can buy certain higher end wines or liquor. We found what was included to be totally good for us.

Since you mentioned Greek Isles Seabourn is great for that IMO. Ours last year was more focused on Greek ports (started in Venice, went to Vodice, Croatia, Kotor, Montenegro then the rest were Greek ports for Kerkira, Nisos Kerkira (Corfu), Greece, Sami, Cephalonia, Greece, Pylos, Greece, Nafplion, Greece ending in Piraeus (Athens), Greece.

BUT a word of caution due to world events some of that area is subject to sudden cancellation. A lot of Athens to Dubai (or vice versa) which often hits one or two Greek ports and Turkiye ports along the way and some other cruises are being cancelled if they are either using Suez Canal or Red Sea both for this year and 2025. Some that have ports too close to Israel would also be subject to cancellation or adjustment. Not sure if Cyprus is being impacted or not for example.

We went on our first Disney cruise in 2022. We just returned from our third last month and juts booked another, without kids. Wahoo. We didn't book when our kids were younger due to cost, but wish we could have. Honestly, I kind of prefer the cruise over the parks. Less busy/chaotic and slower pace. Still can have character interaction which is nice.

Honestly, I kind of prefer the cruise over the parks. Less busy/chaotic and slower pace. Still can have character interaction which is nice.
I think that was happening a decent amount when the park reservation situation was a large issue. It allowed people to go on a Disney trip without some of the hassles a Disney park experience could have. More than one poster on the Boards expressed that they switched over to DCL in lieu of a Parks trip. Obviously Parks isn't the same as a cruise but you still would get that Disney ambience with the theming and characters on a DCL cruise.

I have taken my dd when she was younger a few times and are planning on going again a couple years with dgd.

We have done over 25 Disney cruises the vast majority of which are 7 days or more. Love them way more than the parks. All the Disney magic without the crowds and waiting hours for rides.

If someone gave it to us as a gift, sure! Otherwise the cost/value proposition is just not there for us. We’ve cruised all over the planet over the past 20 years, very happily, on RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. Any one of them will give us a great vacation for half, or less, the price of DCL.

We did one years ago (like 20+), but prefer Royal Caribbean now. If we went back, it would be when our boys have kids of their own - I can see taking our grandkids on a Disney cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter