Would you ever work with your Spouse?

Hi
I met Hubs at work. We worked and lived together for 10 years.
it defiantly worked for us.
I kind of miss us working together now.
it was easy moaning about someone he knew 😂😂

...and I just got to thinking 🤔 OP aren’t you the person that posted the Emotional Affair thread? Working at the same place would at least limit that risk one would imagine.

Last edited:
DW and I worked in the same places for many of our 46 years together. We worked in separate departments and had different schedules so we sometimes didn't see each other in the workplace and I can't recall that we ever had lunch together.

Sounds like this is a pretty sweet job offer, I'd give it a serious look. Good luck & please let us know how it turns out:)

I have been working with my DH for over 15 years. I won't say we see eye to eye all the time but, we do make a great team. He is my boss but, I do get the flexibility of choosing vacation time & switching my work hours around what is needed. Unfortunately that flexibility means that I usually am taking work home with me or when we go away so I can always stay caught up.

We own a business together so yes. We love working together. Prior to this we met at the place we worked together.

We own a business together so we do work together—although we are not always “together”. He travels quite a bit or is out of the office at clients and I am part time. It works for us. We met when working at the same hardware store in high school so it was not entirely new for us. We rarely fight although we do “bicker” from time to time mostly because he is messy and I am neat.

My husband's company has a position open that would be a good fit for me.

Benefits:
  1. The money - I will be looking at ~$15-$20K/year pay increase.
  2. The ability to move forward in the company, which is something I don't have in my own company unless I want to move to Atlanta.
  3. Good company culture, from what I know
  4. DH knows the hiring manager and thinks I would do well there.
  5. The workload will be challenging but my current workload is insane anyway, and from what DH knows about the position, they don't work 60 hours a week like I often do now
  6. I will be back in a structured corporate office again, instead of a bedroom-converted-to-office in my house
  7. I would work in the same office as my husband, but not in the same department or physical area of the office. We could carpool on the days we are both commuting, and have lunch together sometimes.
  8. The office is large, about 400 employees, and his area is in a different part of the building than mine would be, so it's not like we would be staring at each other all day.
  9. Our health insurance costs would go down since we would all be able to be on the same health plan again, instead of him on one, and me/kids on mine.

Drawbacks:
  1. His office is an hour away. There is some flexibility to the schedule as far as DH knows, and they work from home a day or two a week. I currently work from home 4 days a week, and go into an office an hour away in the other direction one day a week.
  2. Scrambling to make sure my DD gets to school and home every day from school. She will get her license next June, but for this school year we will have to find her a way to get to school and back, at least the few times a week that DH and I will both be in the office since our district doesn't offer bussing. 10 months from now, she will be able to drive herself and DS13 to school, etc, so it will be much easier.
  3. Losing the flexibility I have by being a full-time remote employee. Except for Wednesdays, I pretty much can schedule appts, etc whenever I want. I don't miss out on my kids' early afternoon sports games, and I can take them to the orthodontist and get them back to school, and get back online at home, within an hour. With the new job, this will be harder to manage.
  4. I would work with my husband! Yikes! I have always been very good at separating my personal life from my professional life. I tend to work quietly and efficiently and rarely take lunches. DH loves his lunch breaks. I'm not sure I want a lunch partner EVERY day.....

Would you work with your spouse? (barring the obvious, like qualifications, etc)
No way in the world. Obviously it really depends on both personalities, the dynamics etc., but there's no way it'd ever work for us.

We operate a business together, a business she created a few years before we met. It's selling products of her creation over the internet though not like she's my foreman at the metal stamping plant or something.

You know the saying about working with family.

So, no, I'd never with anyone I was that close with.

I'm having issues being with my DH 24/7 because we're both retired so now in a hindsight type of way I would probably decline unless maybe they are willing to pay me triple. ;)

Both working an hour away from the kids would be a deal breaker.

There is still so much in raising our very self-sufficient, driving high school senior that one of us needs to regularly be around for.

I have taken so much time off this year for doctors appointments, senior portraits, school administrator meetings, college visits. I work 8 minutes from home and could check on her at lunch when she has a sick day from school.

Dh has also taken time off for other medical appointments, wisdom teeth removal and college visits.

She'll soon start her last year of playing sports after more than 12 years of year round soccer. We are planning to attend all of her games this year.

I bet you have tackled a lot of that easily by the flexibility of working at home.

Last edited:
Both working an hour away from the kids would be a deal breaker.

There is still so much in raising our very self-sufficient, driving high school senior that one of us needs to regularly be around for.

I have taken so much time off this year for doctors appointments, senior portraits, school administrator meetings, college visits. I work 8 minutes from home and could check on her at lunch when she has a sick day from school.

Dh has also taken time off for other medical appointments, wisdom teeth removal and college visits.

She'll soon start her last year of playing sports after more than 12 years of year round soccer. We are planning to attend all of her games this year.

I bet you have tackled a lot of that easily by the flexibility of working at home.

I'm at the point with my current job that I will be looking for something else, regardless whether it's with DH's company or not. I already submitted my resume to another company earlier this summer but didn't get the position.

I've worked from home for 2 years now, and before that worked 1 day from home for a few years, and before THAT, worked full-time in the office. We made it work back then, I can make it work now.

I'll be chatting with one of DH's co-workers on Monday, to get an inside view of the flexibility and team culture (he works in the department next to the one I am looking to apply for), so I feel like if I do decide to make the move, at least I will have a decent understanding of what I am getting into.

...and I just got to thinking 🤔 OP aren’t you the person that posted the Emotional Affair thread? Working at the same place would at least limit that risk one would imagine.

Yes! lol

I cannot say that I am not insanely curious to see all of these people firsthand (not that I am making light of it because I still think it's a crappy situation) but that is definitely not why I am looking to work there. DH has been trying to get me to find a new job for years now, and is always sending me job openings that I am qualified for when he sees them posted on his intranet site. I think now, I am finally ready to go for it.

My DH and I worked together for 18 years (married for 15 of them).

Here is my advice:

1. Forget you're married when you're there so you make no one uncomfortable. You are coworkers when onsite.
2. Don't eat lunch together except for rare occasions. Let him go with his friends/clients and you go with yours (or work through lunch). Besides, you'll have nothing to talk about at dinner if you hear all of his stories/tell all of yours at lunch. lol
3. Don't bring your family issues into work and don't bring your work issues home.
4. Make sure you want to put all of your eggs in one basket. If the company fails, you can both be out of work. Make sure the company is strong.

Best of luck with your decision!

My DH and I worked together for 18 years (married for 15 of them).

Here is my advice:

1. Forget you're married when you're there so you make no one uncomfortable. You are coworkers when onsite.
2. Don't eat lunch together except for rare occasions. Let him go with his friends/clients and you go with yours (or work through lunch). Besides, you'll have nothing to talk about at dinner if you hear all of his stories/tell all of yours at lunch. lol
3. Don't bring your family issues into work and don't bring your work issues home.
4. Make sure you want to put all of your eggs in one basket. If the company fails, you can both be out of work. Make sure the company is strong.

Best of luck with your decision!
I completely disagree with number 1. So did our management. Remembering we were married.....according to our supervisors......gave us a second reason to work harder and do better work. That made us number one on the list for special projects, because the boss knew they would be done correctly, without fuss, and on time.

Number 2 did not apply to us because in those days we worked 8 straight with no lunch break. But looking at the married couples I work with now, I completely disagree. They always eat lunch together. It saves their sanity.

My husband and I met each other in 1981 working at the same grocery store, he was a new younger asst. manager.
After dating a few months, I was transferred to another store.
I went on to another career shortly after that.
But several years later after our first child, I went back to the store a couple days a week for some extra cash.
A month later, he was transferred to the store I was at, as the new store manager, we worked together again for one day, then I just resigned since we knew his hours as a manager were going to be crazy, so he wouldn't be able to make a definite schedule for himself.
But the one day we worked together again was fun, just like old times.

Yes! lol

I cannot say that I am not insanely curious to see all of these people firsthand (not that I am making light of it because I still think it's a crappy situation) but that is definitely not why I am looking to work there. DH has been trying to get me to find a new job for years now, and is always sending me job openings that I am qualified for when he sees them posted on his intranet site. I think now, I am finally ready to go for it.
As I said up-thread, my DH and I are in the same industry. I work for a much better company than he does; pays better, better benefits and offers a much more stable future. For his own good and the good of our family I would LOVE him to work for my company, if not necessarily with me. Your situation sounds similar so maybe just consider his presence there a "networking opportunity" and take advantage of it to get your foot in the door. I wish you both well. :wave2:

good grief no. we already de-compress and complain about work to each other enough, I cannot imagine if we both had the same problem-people AND no control over the situation!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter