Would you expect to be “compensated” if you couldn’t attend a Christmas party?

I HAVE heard of this, but only in a situation when someone has to be working. Like a hospital or some other place that's operating 24/7, those who can't attend DUE TO WORK only, usually got a gift card or a catered lunch brought it. But because it doesn't fit in your schedule? NO!

No, my company doesn't make it up to us. It's a voluntary, fun event and I think it's ridiculous that he is asking to be compensated for it.
As soon as he asks that, they'll probably look for any reason to let him go. Good gracious, talk about being an idiot.
WOW. He just might be a little entitled. :crazy:

I can't wait to hear whether he actually does ask for a gift card -- and what the employer's response is!

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well!

So he’s old enough to know better… I’m in my late-ish 40’s so I’ve been working for a minute and I’ve never ever done this. This guy has issues if he runs for the free stuff right away…. Pls tell us the outcome

That is exactly what I was going to say!
I was thinking it was a very young person in their early 20's. When I mentioned it to my dd she said it was probably someone older in their 60's.
Turns out we were both wrong :laughing:

Personal reason for inability to attend=nadda you get nadda

Work reason for inability to attend=more reasonable for some sort of compensation but may not be equal to the fixed price on the menu. More or less a recognition of the reason why the employee is unable to attend but it's not mandatory and shouldn't be necessarily expected either, lots of variables there.

Sometimes you miss out on stuff. My husband was in CA working on the power plant and was unable to leave (the company would have paid to send him back home) when it came time for the work holiday party (and that year it was the big one at the convention center). No way would he have asked to be monetarily compensated for missing that. That party is voluntary anyways even as much fun as it can be and even as much as they had been flying in construction people and engineers on project sites back for the party but not everyone can go as the sites need some people there or they are close to completion where it's all hands on deck basically (such was the case for why my husband couldn't come back for the party it was too close to the deadline). When they've broken it up to smaller events and bought out TopGolf..fun to go to but not mandatory.

Well, he can kiss his job goodbye. RIP to not only his employment but to any good reference he may need.

LOL no, what a nut.

I try to avoid work parties outside of work hours just because I'm an introvert who hates socializing and I definitely don't expect compensation. Our company holiday party was supposed to be this Saturday, but has been postponed due to Covid, as we've had some positive cases at work recently.

No. That's incredibly entitled of this coworker imo. There's always one!

Meanwhile I was excited that "Due to Covid rules" and our being a healthcare group our annual Xmas party is virtual again this year, with the office paying/reimbursing us for our lunches we choose for during the "event."

We usually have a pot luck lunch...if you miss it...oh well.

Eek. I nope right out of those. My coworkers all say, "Monk don't potluck." LOL And guess what? In the theme of this thread I expect nothing. Noping out is on me!

My company offers a catered luncheon for everyone... in non-Covid times. For remote workers, they would send a gift card for the value of the meal. For those onsite, if you missed it, you missed it.

Funny story... I work with a lot of Indians. HR wanted to ensure that we had Indian food as well as the standard pasta and chicken strips, etc. They asked me where they should get it. I laughed and reminded them that I was a white chick from Pennsylvania and we had a lot of Indians who could help them with Indian caterers. They told me that they knew that I loved Indian food and that I cook it at home. They knew me personally, so that's why they asked me.

On the day of the luncheon, everyone was asking how they knew to buy the items that they had on the buffet line. Everyone knew that it was me who made the recommendation for the restaurant who catered it. Everyone got a chuckle out of it and thanked ME for the good food. When we were in the office, I might not have known everyone's name, but everyone sure knew mine.

Is being entitled a protected class?
Employees ask for additional compensation all the time. No doubt to many a $25 gift card request for not being able to go to the Christmas party is silly, but it doesn't rise to the level of "cause" for a firing. That is clearly a protected class if it is the only reason for termination.

Employees ask for additional compensation all the time. No doubt to many a $25 gift card request for not being able to go to the Christmas party is silly, but it doesn't rise to the level of "cause" for a firing. That is clearly a protected class if it is the only reason for termination.
Depends on whether it's an "at will" employment. If so, you don't need cause to fire someone.

ETA: They won't say "because he asked for a gift card" as the reason.

I do agree it's not a worth firing someone over this.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter