Would you feel guilty?

I make my husband lunch everyday. Yes, he is capable of making it but it's part of my routine. When I am sick or feel like sleeping in he makes his own lunch. He's a big boy, it's just a nice thing I do for him. And if I don't do it for whatever reason I won't feel guilty and neither should you.

Umm, no, he is an adult who ought to be able to handle providing lunch (or any other meal for that matter) for himself. Good heavens.

I'm actually amazed that people leave home without enough money or some form of payment to at least cover lunch.
I have CC but I usually have at least $10-20 bucks also. Maybe just put a $20 bill in his vehicle for future emergencies.

Or maybe HE could put a $20 bill in his vehicle for future emergencies?

I make my husbands lunch every day, but that's because it's our leftovers from supper the night before. On his days off, he's responsible for feeding himself (except for dinner)

Maybe it's a generational thing? I know my grandpa never made himself a meal his entire life. Grandma did it all.
How did your hubby not have any money on him? Did he have an ATM card so he could get cash from the bank and then go to a drive thru if he was busy?

My best friend cooks all the meals for her and her husband and makes his lunch as well. She did that before they got married as well.

And it's not the whole "I want to do it" or "I'm the better cook" it's because he expects her to.

When we get together (usually once a week) she has to make sure he has dinner for him so that means making it the day beforehand so he can heat it up. Otherwise she says she has to stay home so she can make sure he has a meal.

He's like 42 and she's almost 29. Pretty sure he survived before he met her over 5 years ago. The few times she's gone out of town she has to prepare X number of days of meals for him. It works for them but I'm glad it's not how it is with my husband.

OP I wouldn't feel guilty at all. Even if you are the primary meal preparer the other person should be able to cope with it if something arises. I say being sick..well that's one of them. I'm sure there was an opportunity for him to get food even if he didn't have cash..do you guys have a checking account or a credit card that could have been used just for today?

Heaven help your friend should something happen to her and she has to break the June Cleaver mold.

Maybe it's a generational thing? I know my grandpa never made himself a meal his entire life. Grandma did it all.
How did your hubby not have any money on him? Did he have an ATM card so he could get cash from the bank and then go to a drive thru if he was busy?

I think OP might have said that he didn't have the card with him, maybe ATM card? I know both me and my DH have times where we don't have cash with us.

Very good idea upthread for OP's DH to pack his car with some snacks.

Or maybe HE could put a $20 bill in his vehicle for future emergencies?
I wasn't suggesting it's HER responsibility. I feel the opposite actually. I just get amazed at people that leave their home so broke that they can't even buy lunch. I know some people like this and it just amazes me.

Heaven help your friend should something happen to her and she has to break the June Cleaver mold.
*sigh* I know. It's very interesting because in all other ways in her life she's assertive and sometimes much more assertive than I am in certain situations. I love her and have known her for 22 years but I want to be considered an equal in my relationship with my husband and I don't think she is in hers. That being said at this point it works for them.

Oh good grief, he is an adult, right?

My 12 and 16 year olds make their own lunches. They also have an account at school so they can buy if they don't want to make it or forget.

My grandpa was born in 1894, farmed all his life, very traditional marriage. Grandma not only fed Grandpa & the kids, but also all the farmhands 2 meals per day. And when Grandma left town for 3 weeks to help,with a new grandchild, Grandpa managed just fine. His cholesterol was probably over 700 when she got home, but he did live ;)

I guess it is just me...DD and I are here where there is food. He has not tried to put a guilt trip on me at all.
I had to make an appointment today with the dealership to take my vehicle in for an oil-change and have the winter tires put on. I've literally never done this before - DH always does it and I rely on him for that, and other similar things. He's had an absolutely unreal time at work for the last 5 weeks and simply couldn't handle getting it done for me. It's a pain but I certainly hope he doesn't spend 1 second feeling guilty about it. You shouldn't feel bad either OP, and it doesn't seem like that's what your DH intends.

I have been ill for a little over a week. DH and DD have been in charge of the house. Last night DH did not fix his lunch for work. He is now grumpy and ill from not eating. Would you feel guilty? He was expecting a short day today, but has been gone over 10 hours.

I wouldn't feel guilty if you were sick. Why couldn't he go buy lunch? I'd be like Hurrah, forget the sandwich it's Chinese take out day!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter