Would you feel weird living in your grandparents home after they passed?

I actually live in the house that my mom grew up in and that my grandmother lived in until she passed away. When my grandmother passed it was passed on to my mom and her brothers and then when my mom passed away I received her third of the house and I’m currently buying out her brothers. I love living here to me this was the best option it’s a great house. I have made changes and made it my own but everything I’m doing my family appreciates because they see the potential that this house could be. I have painted I have got new furniture and I’ve made it my own. Now I do still have a little pieces of my grandparents around like in my living room I have some floating shelves one of which has part of my grandfather shot glass collection and the other one has some thimbles that my grandmother used to collect.

If the house works for you I would say go for it and unless the other family members are contributing financially make the changes you want to make.

Not quite the same but when my aunt died last year the family (sister and cousins) said get rid of all the furniture. There were several pieces that I liked so I asked if anyone minded if I kept it and they said no so most of her furniture is in my garage and will be used when the rooms are decorated.

In your case it seems like the house would just need to be Updated and made to feel like yours. Seems like a Blessing rather than a concern.
Best of luck on tour decision.
And ... sorry for your loss.

I'd have no concerns at all and I know several people that do live in their grandparents house. It becomes your home quickly enough.

My cousin lives in my grandparents house. My grandmother is still alive, but has dementia and lives in a Memory Care facility. The timing was perfect that after Grandma went to the assisted living, my cousin was looking to stop renting and buy a house, so my mom (the POA for my Grandma) sold it to my cousin at a good/fair price and then Mom was able to use the money to pay for Grandma's care. My cousin has put a lot of sweat equity into fixing the house up and it looks fantastic.

We live in my DW parents house, bought it from the 2 other sisters, actually, sold all the old furniture and was agreed to that if anyone wanted anything, they had to buy it at the sale. I would have liked to have had a couple items from my MIL but other sister was bidding on them and I wouldn't bid against them. Cleaned the house, repainted, moved our appliances from where we lived, not one little regret, we went from town and a small lot to almost 2 acres in the country. That has been 8 years ago and still going strong. We did do some changes, put on a bigger back deck, garden, (DFIL didn't want to get rid of any of his grass for a garden) put a above ground pool in the back. Absolutely LOVE it here. Have no concerns that her parents lived here first.

Sorry if I missed it, but would this house be given to you or would you have to pay for it? If the latter, I would very much try to take the emotion out of it. Purchasing a house is a huge financial decision. I'd want to make sure it had the space and features we were looking for, the right school district, right taxes, not too far from work, etc. I would look at it the same as any house purchase, and consider the fact that it has sentimental value a bonus.

But, if the house will given to you with no mortgage attached, it would be really hard to beat that. It would leave you in a good financial situation. I would probably take that opportunity, if there were no major cons.

I live in what was once my grandparents house. I grew up there. It was out of the family for a while, but when I started looking into buying a house it was on the market. I bought it and I love living there. My grandparents were still with us when I did, but they have since passed. Still, there is a memory around every corner and I really appreciate keeping this house in the family.

Knew this was an old thread when the first reply was made by low-key❤️🙏🏼
I would love to live in my grandparents home, either the house right here in town that he built and where my mother grew up, or the house he built on a small lake when they retired.

Feel weird? Of course. They lived in a one room hunting shack that they built a small bedroom on the back when I was a kid. Eventually built on a kitchen and full bedroom. The final was an actual bathroom. They ran the toilet pumping water up from the creek and used water collected at the spring down the road for cooking and drinking.

My family may have the opportunity to move into the home where my mom was raised and her mom (my grandmother) was also raised. So the home has been in the family a long time. It needs a lot of cosmetic updating.

I have wonderful memories there with my grandmother especially. She was my favorite grandparent. She passed In February and none of her children want the house but they would like to keep it in the family.

Anyway, I feel a little weird thinking about living there and I don’t know why. Maybe because it just has an “old” feeling. I can’t put my finger on it. How would you all feel moving into a grandparent or even parents home after they were gone?
Here in Europe there is zero thought put into it. The home is expected to go to the next generation. Or in many cases they are multigenerational to begin with. Zero weirdness

I met my DH after gis parents passed. He got the entire house. Our bedroom was his parents bedroom ( renovated, new furniture ). His dad actually died in that room.

I can follow up as the OP and say that we’ve been living in my grandparents home for over two years now, and it’s not weird at all. In fact, I love it. We have made updates but there are still the good memories that I’ve had here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter