Would you get a MB+?

I found one on sale for $10 at the Character Wearhouse and was happy with it on our cruise last week but only because my back/neck problems cause me to hate wearing a lanyard. My other family members did not see a benefit.

I have been anti Magic Band since they first came out years ago. I've never worn one, I strap it on my bag. I hated them when they were free and I definitely wouldn't pay for one. I know the argument for is it makes things easier, but using my card is not very difficult at all for me. I have no need for a band...and I don't even want to think of the tan line. ;)

Another tip - DCL says you need your driver's license/ID for Castaway Cay now too. I actually don't remember them scanning them coming back on the ship, but they made an announcement not to leave the ship without them. Don't be like me and have to run up six flights of stairs and then try to get back to your family in the crowd because you thought your KTWC was all you would need (it used to be that way).

They've been saying that for as long as I can remember (I specifically remember my DH not having his in 2010 so at least that long). While we have had ours checked at the check point before getting back to the ship, it seems they don't always do that for everyone.

It's all preference and cost-benefit analysis that is unique to each person. The bands are great if you plan use the pool or water slides. Rather than leaving the keycard "hidden" somewhere, you just wear the band. I personally like it, though we go to Disney parks every year so it works out. I've never worn a lanyard (20+ cruises) and never would. I hoped for the magic bands on cruise ships for a long time and have been happy the few times we've already cruised with them. So much easier to wear a band. But if you are a lanyard person that would work too.

With that said, if you don't cruise or visit Disney often, the price probably isn't worth it. Charging it does add another level of stuff (phones, watches, bands, etc) plugged in the room, which can be a hassle if you have a lot of people in a cabin. You will still have a key card because it is unlikely ports will ever get technology to read a band. Also, you do have to give it up sometimes (most notably bars) to pay for stuff. But, that is the same for the keycard, so it's not really a change.

They've been saying that for as long as I can remember (I specifically remember my DH not having his in 2010 so at least that long). While we have had ours checked at the check point before getting back to the ship, it seems they don't always do that for everyone.

My recollection from around the same time frame and several years after was that you only needed the KTWC for the Castaway stop. It is very possible I missed the announcements, but I am 99% sure I didn't take an ID with me at Castaway for first several trips. That said, memory is very fallible, and its a real possibility that I created false memories around the issue.

They did not check them when we got back on the ship last spring. I was surprised, after I did the last minute dash to get them before disembarking.

My recollection from around the same time frame and several years after was that you only needed the KTWC for the Castaway stop. It is very possible I missed the announcements, but I am 99% sure I didn't take an ID with me at Castaway for first several trips. That said, memory is very fallible, and its a real possibility that I created false memories around the issue.

They did not check them when we got back on the ship last spring. I was surprised, after I did the last minute dash to get them before disembarking.

I totally understand the memory thing. :rotfl: The only reason 2010 stands out to me is we had massages scheduled on SB and when we got down to get off the ship my husband sounded shocked that he needed it. I was of course "reminding" him, we have always needed it there! Then he had to run back up, and in the end we were pressed for time getting to the massages. When we arrived the therapists were telling us we were there to relax but we were so stressed because of the time crunch. Not a great way to start of a relaxing day. LOL! :laughing: But yes, this is one of those things I now remind DH of every time we are leaving for CC. ;)

For what its worth, if you stay at a WDW resort you can preorder MB+ at a discount. Which may help.

Also, you don't have to recharge them if you're only going to use them to open your room or charge items to your room. My DH hasn't recharged his MB+ yet and it works fine for him in the parks. I on the other hand, like to see it light up!

My husband and I were looking at what all they did when the announcement for the Wonder occurred. Since we don't go to any park often due to not living in CA or FL or can really go on cruises often, it doesn't really make sense for us to get them. 🤷‍♀️

Is it because they need to take it over to a terminal behind the bar? That's dumb. They should give them scanners to do it on the spot.
More investment in infrastructure! Let’s check in a few years from now and see if this gets implemented.

(And my memory is that ID has always been “required” for CC - but often ignored if you present it to Bahamian port security. Checking random Personal Navigators on Disneycruiselineblog, I find it is a standard blurb for CC day, tucked away in small print on the back page as a Special Security Note. But I wouldn’t have sworn in court that it was so stated on every cruise.)

We have them as we cruise often. They are a novelty. I liked using them. But I can see both sides. It is just my husband and I cruising these days, so not a huge investment. Or taking up too much charging space. Back in my thrifty mom days, I probably would have just made everyone stick with the lanyard- LOL

We got them and used over our cards for the doors and purchases. However my wife and I both agreed given the cost we wish we would've saved the money and just used the cards.

They didn't seem to light up for any rhyme or reason once on the Disney Magic. I don't believe they went off during the fireworks? They all went off one night after dinner randomly (lighting up that is).

Is it because they need to take it over to a terminal behind the bar? That's dumb. They should give them scanners to do it on the spot.
Yes, some places do have the scanners, but not everywhere yet. In talking to a CM last summer when they were still testing on the Wish, they said it would be a big thing to give everyone the 'tablet' like things to be able to scan on the spot, plus then those tablets have to be charged, etc. Not saying that's a good reason, just noting what the CM said about the logistics of it.

We now live in FL so we bought them to use in the parks and used it on the Wish in December. We had the same experience as others where you needed to take your KTTW card off the ship and you had to take it off for drinks at dinner, etc. I don't think it's a make or break thing but it is nice to have.

I'm kind of over the magic bands getting more and more expensive. I wish they were still simple and free when going to WDW. We are sailing on the Fantasy in June and going to WDW for a few days before. I was planning to bring our old MBs (not plus) with us and just use the lanyards on the ship. But since we can use them on the Fantasy I'm wondering if we should purchase MB+. If you've used them on the ships - what were your thoughts? Can you make purchases, open the stateroom doors, etc.?
I'm not into it

but it was nice to have 'hands free' scanning and not have to dig the card out of the lanyard pocket.
You don't need to take them out of the pocket to scan them. I used them in the shops, for our room, for bars, getting on and off ship without taking it out of the lanyard.

My recollection from around the same time frame and several years after was that you only needed the KTWC for the Castaway stop.
You used only to need that, but several years ago, they added a Bahamian checkpoint before getting back on the ship, so you need ID now. Whether anyone checks it or not is another question. They didn't check our ID when getting back into the port to reboard our ship in Cozumel two weeks ago or the Bahamas a few months ago, just the keycard. But it may depend on who is doing the checking.

Two years ago, we left the box of MagicBands at home in our packing frenzy before a trip to the parks. We got the cards, and after two hours in the parks with the cards, we went to a souvenir shop and spent the money for replacement bands.

I don't care about the animation/lights... I just like the idea of having a wristband that will open our room door and not having to remember to grab my lanyard on my way out of the room. Or having to set the lanyard on a deck chair by the pool and hope nobody runs off with it. Put me firmly in the MagicBand camp.

Plus, I don't have to worry about taking the lanyard for photos. The bands are so much less notable.

Do we NEED MagicBands? Nope. But they are a heck of a lot more useful and valuable than a lot of the other stuff I see people spending money on for the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter