Would you get an AP?

vinotinto

Just Keep Swimming
I have a 4-night trip planned with just DH this July 2018. His wishes were Dining and Water Parks. We have a 2 Day PH+ and are doing 2 days in the parks and 2 days in the water parks. There is a little bit of downtime and lots of long dinners (we have the DxDP).

We are now planning a trip in April 2019 that would be 7 or 8 nights long with our 2 Disney Juniors.

I did the math and I wouldn't break even.

Here is the math:

PAP Cost - $1,010.69
2-day PH+ - $318.44
8-day PH+ - $580.43
Total: $898.97

Difference is: $111.72

Other Factors:
Memory Maker - I give Memory Maker $0 value because we do not need/want any more Disney photos, although our April trip is to do a Disney Run, so maybe there will be some value in that.

Food Discounts - Food discounts may be valuable for the April trip because we will likely pay OOP, but no value for the July trip because we already have DxDP.

Room Discounts - Room discounts would be extremely valuable for the April trip, but dates were blocked out this year (but this year it was Easter and next year it will be before Easter).

So, what would you do? No AP right?

If these will be the ONLY times you visit within a year, the simple math says it all.

But, if you add just one more trip, it's "AP all the way."

Only you can decide.

I absolutely would do it. With the memory maker alone, you would start saving money - ours kids love that. Plus the savings on meals and shopping.

We saved so much money on the room with the AP previously - that it almost paid for itself because we needed 3 rooms.

I would recommend the annual pass.

1. You may be correct that you don't want any more Disney pictures, but we were surprised how much we enjoyed getting the ride pictures and other special pictures during festivals.

2. You may be able to make additional short trips over the year since you won't have to buy tickets which can be the most expensive part of the trip.

3. Discounts on merchandise and food add up quick (and include many locations at Disney Springs)

4. Ticket prices may increase before your second trip canceling the savings.

5. On your four-night trip, you may decide to go to a park before or after a water park. The tickets give you two days in theme park and two days in the water parks. The annual pass will give you extra flexibility to go to a park for a nighttime show or meal that you would not have with the PH+ tickets for fewer days than your trip.

6. Free Parking if you stay offsite on any trip.

I would say that if any two of these would be possible benefits for you, get the AP. If not, you may want to consider getting one AP to get most of the benefits and the rest be PH+ tickets. If you might make a trip without children, then get two adults APs.

I hope this helps.

Are you sure you will go to water park on second trip? Currently there are water park tix for ~$50 for AP holders. Wouldn't get the PAP with water park.
Price increase in tickets next year (or even later this year) - AP means price locked in for next year.

2. You may be able to make additional short trips over the year since you won't have to buy tickets which can be the most expensive part of the trip.
THIS should actually be a warning lol! But combined with savings staying offsite and free park parking....yeah.

We still love the MM pics-especially as we still manage to get new ones each trip and new magic shots.

THIS should actually be a warning lol! But combined with savings staying offsite and free park parking....yeah.

Very True! When we bought our APs in early November 2016 with the extra month we thought we would just make a second trip in November 2017, with perhaps one short trip in between. We ended up going to Disney for every festival at Epcot, F&W 2016, Arts 2018, Flower & Garden 2018, F&W 2018, and Holidays 2018, plus one more trip in June. Three trips were for three nights, the others five to seven nights. We drove about nine hours each time and out a lot of miles on our car and a few rentals. We did spend a lot at Disney but also have some great memories. I hope to do it again, perhaps later this year, or early 2019.

I agree that Memory Maker is awesome no matter how many times you visit, and you are correct, the run photos are terrific.

I'd also do the math with the DxDP for the July trip. The plan will cost you about $928. I'd run the numbers: Add up costs for where you want to eat, +$150 for a TiW card, minus 20% off every TS dinner, including alcohol.

Where are you staying for both trips? TiW 20% discount is also good at value resort and POFQ food courts, and many of the resort lounges.

Also, there is the 20% discount on merchandise.

Last edited:

I have a 4-night trip planned with just DH this July 2018. His wishes were Dining and Water Parks. We have a 2 Day PH+ and are doing 2 days in the parks and 2 days in the water parks. There is a little bit of downtime and lots of long dinners (we have the DxDP).

We are now planning a trip in April 2019 that would be 7 or 8 nights long with our 2 Disney Juniors.

I did the math and I wouldn't break even.

Here is the math:

PAP Cost - $1,010.69
2-day PH+ - $318.44
8-day PH+ - $580.43
Total: $898.97

Difference is: $111.72

Other Factors:
Memory Maker - I give Memory Maker $0 value because we do not need/want any more Disney photos, although our April trip is to do a Disney Run, so maybe there will be some value in that.

Food Discounts - Food discounts may be valuable for the April trip because we will likely pay OOP, but no value for the July trip because we already have DxDP.

Room Discounts - Room discounts would be extremely valuable for the April trip, but dates were blocked out this year (but this year it was Easter and next year it will be before Easter).

So, what would you do? No AP right?

You forgot the merchandise discounts.

I'd get the AP for the (hopeful) room discount in April 2019. Easter is always blocked out, but as you said it won't be easter for 2019 on your dates.

Can you get a AP room discount for July?

And even if you don't want memory maker for the adults-only trip, I cannot imagine not having MM for a trip with kiddos.

So I would do 1 AP if you are sure it's just the two trips. And if you think you might squeeze in a 3rd, then both get APs.

Another vote for the AP. I wasn't a fan of Memory Maker until we got our APs. With the free Memory Maker, now we look for the people with cameras in fun areas to get photos. I also love getting all the onride photos and videos.

If I remember correctly from several years ago the Run Disney photos were not considered part of Memory Maker. This might have changed but you should check. On the other hand, I agree with Monykalyn, get the regular AP and add the water park tickets at a discount. It is amazing how an AP suddenly makes an extra trip seem possible.

I’m not sure when Star Wars land is opening, but if you have an ap you could go to to special ap holders preview for that...

If you are a souvenir family, get the AP if you don't already have a Disney Visa-the Merchandise discount will be a good perk. It adds up quickly.

If there is any chance you might try to sneak in a short trip besides your planned ones, get the AP.

We do not find a lot of value in the dining discounts, but look at the menus online and consider what you might purchase and what your discount/savings with the AP would be

If you will have time on your arrival and departure days, get the AP-it's wonderful to be able to duck into MK for a couple hours before heading home, or to pop over to Epcot for Illuminations or dinner after you arrive. I'd never spend the money for a single day (even discounted) to go to Epcot for dinner and SSE, but if I can do it because of the AP, no problem. Also good for Water Park days.

And honestly, $111 is close enough to my break-even point that I'd just get the AP. I think four people over 11-12 nights is going to get $111 in benefits from having the AP because of merchandise, dining, and potential extra park time.

My one caveat though-once you have that AP, it can just about burn a hole in your pocket. Bad day at work? Disney Dreaming is a lot more reasonable when you don't have to buy tickets. You get that airline email about great deals? Heck, your tickets are already paid for! Want to put in a long weekend trip to see Disney at Christmas or because something else brings you to Florida? Cool, tickets already paid for! Mom and Dad want a little weekend getaway? Disney tickets already covered.

Ress

What if it rains the four days you are there? Would you still just do two park days?

I'd be curious about the math for the dining plan. All those table service add up tips add. Would you do table service meals with the April trip?

Where are you staying? It used to be value resorts also got discounts with the TIW card.

Parking alone will make up the break even difference in your math. 25 a day if staying offsite and 13+ a day if staying onsite. You may even consider just one of you buying the AP so you all get discounted merch and free parking/photopass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter