Would you get second opinion? (ENT / allergies)

Try different OTC allergy meds. Claritan did nothing for me for my watery eyes & itchy mouth & throat. Neither did the several other meds I tried since high school. I literally thought it was just an advertising gimmick when allergy meds said they work on different symptoms. : rolleyes: All they did was overly dehydrate me. But I still felt miserable. : headache: Then my pharmacist recommended Zyrtec. FOR ME, it worked like a dream. :love: My watery eyes & itchy mouth throat cleared up & my runny, stuffy nose cleared up without over drying me. My body has gotten used to it over time. I need an extra half pill. But it's still the best allergy med for me.

Last edited:
My DH was prescribed allergy shots, which he took faithfully, and just got sicker and sicker. Finally decided to stop the shots, and his illness started to clear up. Back to the GP for a referral to an ENT. ENT diagnosis was that my DH should never have been put on the shots, and that DH was allergic to the shots.

Another thing you might want to see if you have is a systemic Candida yeast infection. Not the yeast infections in the vajayjay, but a systemic one in the intestines and up to the SINUSES.

My integrative doctor realized I had one. Basically anyone who's been on birth control pills or certain types of antibiotics may be prone to getting Candida. We ALL have naturally growing yeast in our body and it can naturally self-regulate how much we have. Candida is an overgrowth of yeast. Birth control pills and/or antibiotics can throw the body's intestinal environment off balance and the yeast grows abnormally & unchecked. Candida is really hard to get rid of. A single round or two of Nystatin or Diflucan may NOT be enough to get rid of it, especially if one is still eating foods that yeast feeds off of: carbs, especially SUGARY carbs. Since people naturally eat some carbs per meal, the overgrowth of yeast keeps happening. :headache: :badpc:

There are certain diet regimens one must be on to get rid of Candida along with the right anti-fungals and then supplements, but it could take 3-6 months for the intestinal environment to get back to "normal" again, (especially if one has had Candida for a long time,) and then another 6 months of watching the foods one eats to make sure over-growth doesn't happen again.

For the first time in YEARS, right after starting the Nystatin, I was able to sleep and wake up without having my nose get all stuffed up. I had been worried I'd need a CPAP. (all of my bedding is all allergy proofed as a PP recommended.) I thought I would have to visit an ENT for my sinus problems, until we figured out it was the Candida. I was doing really well on getting rid & regulating the Candida I had for about 9 months, until the supplement I was taking was out of stock EVERYWHERE for the next 2 months. I think the manufacturer ran out of one ingredient. :badpc: By the time the supplement was back on the market, the Candida was back and in full force, hard to control again, even though I have the supplements again. :badpc:

BTW, like you, I found that allergy meds alone will NOT get rid of the stuffy, runny sinuses when it's the Candida causing the sinus problems. Different causes are creating the sinus problems.They require different treatments to get rid of the causes, not just the symptoms. Zyrtec, which I am loyal to for my allergies will NOT work on the Candida, even though the symptoms are the same.

Yesterday, I was at a 2-day conference, already eating badly. Late in the day, a few hours after the provided lunch, which was low on protein & high on carbs, and everyone was hungry. They put out sugary snacks, (no protein whatsoever.) :headache: The bag of peanuts I had, from the vending machine was not enough. And I went through all the low-carb snacks I had brought. I spied gummy bears. :lovestruc Even though I knew better, I ate a handful of gummy bears. This morning, I paid for it by waking up to a near-migraine level sinus headache, blocked sinuses and a bloated, puffy face & sinuses and puffy & bloated body. My cheeks right over my sinuses are always a bit on the puffy side, except when I'm eating properly & the yeast is in check. I had to take some Advil for sinus congestion which took care of the headache/sinus problem. And I have to make sure I'm religiously back on my Candida supplements again to knock out the Candida - which I should have been doing anyway, but had been a little lax on lately. :headache:

I'll tell you, a regular, Western, general practitioner won't know enough about Candida. Might not even recognize it as a condition. You may have to go to a nutritionist or a doctor who does Integrative Medicine - one who treats the whole body as a single integrative unit, versus treating the symptoms of each problem separately, that symptoms are not related to each other or affect other parts of the body. I go to my Integrative doctor for my thyroid & adrenals. It didn't even occur to me to talk to him about my sinuses. Like everyone else in the Western hemisphere, I also thought of medicine as separate & unrelated symptoms & causes. He asked me a series of questions about my body, not only about my thyroid, came up with Candida and did more tests. He prescribed the Nystatin & Diflucan. But, it was up to me to do the research on the right diet and other ways to keep the Candida in check, like visit a nutritionist, and stay away from gummy bears, especially when I already hadn't been eating right. :headache:

Last edited:
Maybe second opinion isn’t the best use of words but it’s the only thing I could think of.

Backstory: For a year now I’ve had really bad headaches, sinus infections, and general sinus irritation. I went to primary care dr to figure out migraine vs sinus. She gave me some prescription medication for 6 weeks and it didn’t work. Migraine ruled out so she then sent me to ENT. ENT at first appt said get MRI and allergy tested. I got my allergy test a week or so ago and I reacted to everything: trees, grasses, cats, dogs, weeds (basically everything but mold). Scheduled follow up with ENT dr.

Follow up: ENT dr said I’m allergic to a lot of things but I don’t show many symptoms (vs the person who shows all the symptoms of allergies). I really only have itchy watery eyes, sinus/nasal congestion, and sinus pressure. ENT dr said he won’t treat allergies until I get MRI to rule out other issues for headaches (like nerve issue or brain issues) but did suggest taking Claritin and a prescription nasal spay (like Flonase) daily which seems to be helping a lot.

So my question is: is it time to go to an allergist and see if allergist will start shots to fully treat allergies? I’m beginnig to think my headaches were just severe sinus irritation and not actually headaches at all (since pain killers like Tylenol or the prescription the primary care Dr gave me didn’t work). Or just continue using Claritin/Flonase for treatment since it seems to be helping? No one in my family’s has allergies and we aren’t really sure what to do.

Any advice is appreciated!
I just came from the allergist, whom I've been seeing for about 9 months now. My interest was to see if anyone here is getting allergy shots, because that is an option I've been presented with.

To answer your question about should you see an allergist- I would say why not, unless you don't have insurance. Find a good allergist though. The allergist I'm seeing is really good and she has changed the quality of my life in the few months I've been seeing her.

One thing she suggested to me that you might what to do, especially if you have pets. Buy a HEPA filtering system and put it in your bedroom. I bought one called Levoit from Amazon for less than $100 and it is fantastic.

I've been using Xyzyl and Flonase and they have also helped quite a bit. Good luck to you!

I would go to an allergist if you can. My daughter went to an allergist & an ENT for her issues & the difference in help/ suggestions we got is like night & day. Allergies are very tricky & what works for one might not work for the other.

Another thing you might want to see if you have is a systemic Candida yeast infection. Not the yeast infections in the vajayjay, but a systemic one in the intestines and up to the SINUSES.

My integrative doctor realized I had one. Basically anyone who's been on birth control pills or certain types of antibiotics may be prone to getting Candida. We ALL have naturally growing yeast in our body and it can naturally self-regulate how much we have. Candida is an overgrowth of yeast. Birth control pills and/or antibiotics can throw the body's intestinal environment off balance and the yeast grows abnormally & unchecked. Candida is really hard to get rid of. A single round or two of Nystatin or Diflucan may NOT be enough to get rid of it, especially if one is still eating foods that yeast feeds off of: carbs, especially SUGARY carbs. Since people naturally eat some carbs per meal, the overgrowth of yeast keeps happening. :headache: :badpc:

There are certain diet regimens one must be on to get rid of Candida along with the right anti-fungals and then supplements, but it could take 3-6 months for the intestinal environment to get back to "normal" again, (especially if one has had Candida for a long time,) and then another 6 months of watching the foods one eats to make sure over-growth doesn't happen again.

For the first time in YEARS, right after starting the Nystatin, I was able to sleep and wake up without having my nose get all stuffed up. I had been worried I'd need a CPAP. (all of my bedding is all allergy proofed as a PP recommended.) I thought I would have to visit an ENT for my sinus problems, until we figured out it was the Candida. I was doing really well on getting rid & regulating the Candida I had for about 9 months, until the supplement I was taking was out of stock EVERYWHERE for the next 2 months. I think the manufacturer ran out of one ingredient. :badpc: By the time the supplement was back on the market, the Candida was back and in full force, hard to control again, even though I have the supplements again. :badpc:

BTW, like you, I found that allergy meds alone will NOT get rid of the stuffy, runny sinuses when it's the Candida causing the sinus problems. Different causes are creating the sinus problems.They require different treatments to get rid of the causes, not just the symptoms. Zyrtec, which I am loyal to for my allergies will NOT work on the Candida, even though the symptoms are the same.

Yesterday, I was at a 2-day conference, already eating badly. Late in the day, a few hours after the provided lunch, which was low on protein & high on carbs, and everyone was hungry. They put out sugary snacks, (no protein whatsoever.) :headache: The bag of peanuts I had, from the vending machine was not enough. And I went through all the low-carb snacks I had brought. I spied gummy bears. :lovestruc Even though I knew better, I ate a handful of gummy bears. This morning, I paid for it by waking up to a near-migraine level sinus headache, blocked sinuses and a bloated, puffy face & sinuses and puffy & bloated body. My cheeks right over my sinuses are always a bit on the puffy side, except when I'm eating properly & the yeast is in check. I had to take some Advil for sinus congestion which took care of the headache/sinus problem. And I have to make sure I'm religiously back on my Candida supplements again to knock out the Candida - which I should have been doing anyway, but had been a little lax on lately. :headache:

I'll tell you, a regular, Western, general practitioner won't know enough about Candida. Might not even recognize it as a condition. You may have to go to a nutritionist or a doctor who does Integrative Medicine - one who treats the whole body as a single integrative unit, versus treating the symptoms of each problem separately, that symptoms are not related to each other or affect other parts of the body. I go to my Integrative doctor for my thyroid & adrenals. It didn't even occur to me to talk to him about my sinuses. Like everyone else in the Western hemisphere, I also thought of medicine as separate & unrelated symptoms & causes. He asked me a series of questions about my body, not only about my thyroid, came up with Candida and did more tests. He prescribed the Nystatin & Diflucan. But, it was up to me to do the research on the right diet and other ways to keep the Candida in check, like visit a nutritionist, and stay away from gummy bears, especially when I already hadn't been eating right. :headache:
This is very interesting. I sometimes (2-4 days a week) wake up with a stuffy nose. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is or what outside allergens I've been exposed to. I can't figure out what is causing it. Now sugar makes sense because I love sugar ( cookies etc).

Now sugar makes sense because I love sugar ( cookies etc).

YOU may not be the one who loves the sugar. It may be the YEAST needing to be fed & survive that is driving your sugar cravings.

Sorry, I was trying to reply to 'Imzadi's' post: what is the anti-Candida supplement you are taking?

Sorry, I was trying to reply to 'Imzadi's' post: what is the anti-Candida supplement you are taking?

It's a 3-part process.

First, stop eating excess sugar. Cut the processed carbs until the yeast is under control - which may take months. (This is NOT the same as a high protein/low carb diet. Nor a gluten-free / wheat free diet, which are also carbs. While one pretty much finds they are eating the same things as those diets, higher protein, less carbs, no processed flours & sugar, etc., the reasons for doing so are different.)

Step 2: Take a good live probiotic supplement during the day. It will help re-establish a healthy environment for the gut while fighting the excess yeast. I take one from the local health food store that has to remain refrigerated to keep the probiotics alive. I've read varying debates about getting a "shelf-stable" probiotic which is just on store shelves, un-refrigerated, that they may not be as effective. :confused3 There are also debates as to whether one should take the highest billion cultures count of probiotics or take the lowest and work up. I decided to take the lowest amount, 20-Billion and work up.

This link is to the one I take the 30-Billion one, but this page has the most Amazon reviews & answers to questions. Again, I buy if in the refrigerator case from my local health food store, not from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Renew-Life-P...r_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1532211425&sr=8-6&th=1

Now, what happens if you are on ANY anti-Candida treatment is that the yeast starts getting used to it an becomes resistant. :headache: This is true whether on the prescribed anti-fungals: Nystatin or Dyflucan. (One should actually not take these for very long as they can cause liver damage.) And the yeast becomes resistant to the same probiotics over time So it is recommended to switch to different ones.

During my research, I came across an article for saccharomyces boulardii probiotics as a different probiotic that is really effective. For some reason, that article really convinced me to try it, and I found it worked better once the first probiotic I listed wasn't as effective anymore. (Although, I never did switch up to a higher billion count of cultures. :scratchin) But the saccharomyces boulardii really works for me with the anti-Candida Support supplement, listed further below.

I also get this one in the in the refrigerator case from my local health food store, not from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OVW0E/ref=twister_B01J5USKX4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

The two above are only probiotics. Any REAL anti-Candida supplement must contain the herbs Paul D' Arco and oregano oil and capric acid, and a few other ingredients. The one that I found that has all three is the NOW (brand) Candida Support. It also used to be called Candida Clear, but they changed it to Candida Support, if you are reading through reviews. Some yeast should still naturally remain in a healthy gut, not completely cleared out, so I think that's why they changed the name. (I think the Paul D' Arco herb was what this company ran out of for a couple months, which I said in another post, when I couldn't find it anywhere. I could have bought it and the oregano oil and capric acid separately, but I had kept hoping the Candida Support would eventually be restocked, as I found out how many capsules I needed which worked for me. I'd have to start from scratch if I bought them separately. In hindsight, any amount of them would have been better than none for 2 months. :headache: )

This you can buy anywhere, It does not have to be refrigerated:
https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Candida-Support-180-Capsules/dp/B000E7R3FY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&th=1

I usually take this right before bed with a little food. So, it has a chance to work all night. Start off with one capsule and work up, as many people mention in reviews that they got head-achy, and/or nauseous for the first few days, while detoxing the yeast from the body. :sick: It is like going through withdrawal for some. Think of it like cleaning a greasy frying pan. Once you add the soap & some water, the pan looks worse before it gets better. :crazy2:

The dosage that worked best for me to get rid of the excess Candida is working up to taking FOUR capsules daily for several weeks. The normal suggested amount on the label is 2 capsules. But I read an Amazon reviewer who suggested taking 4. And many commented that that amount worked best for them too to get rid of the overgrowth of yeast. That it worked better than the prescription anti-fungals they used. (One can buy and take any of the ingredients separately and in higher amounts. So taking 3-4 capsules, isn't necessarily an over-dose. But, always use your own judgement.) Then I went back down to 3 capsules for a few weeks, then down to the label recommended 2 capsules for daily support. I know I'm at the right amount when my stuffy nose is consistently gone, as well as any bloating. I usually wake up with an open, dry nose. :yay: I also seem to have more energy throughout the day. But, that could just be because I was able to breathe in fresh oxygen all night.

Also, before taking the Candida Support, I used to get a really scummy mouth a couple hours after brushing. I'd have to brush every couple hours. I was starting to wonder about gum disease, but didn't have bleeding or swollen gums, so I hadn't visited a dentist yet. That's gone too. :thumbsup2 It was also probably yucky yeast overgrowth in my mouth. :crazy2:

If I eat a slice of cheesecake or a (big) handful of gummy bears, I'll take a third capsule that night, to combat the extra sugar.

As I said in a previous post, I had gotten lax lately, as my stuffy/runny nose had more or less been under control. Although, I had been sneaking sugar here & there and was getting a little stuffy. But, the gummy bears did me in. :headache: So now, I'm back on the probiotics & the Candida Support. Dry nose once again. :thumbsup2

For the cynics who say it's all hogwash and a "placebo" effect. I say, it's working for me. So, yeah, I'll pay for it, even if it's a "placebo." :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter