Would you have elective surgery next week? UPDATE! Page 4

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but no. My aunt (mid 80's) had minor surgery at the Mayo Clinic and came home with Covid. She and her DH, a retired doctor had been very careful, almost paranoid about avoiding the virus because he's had heart/lung issues for years. Now he has pneumonia and Covid too. Their DD and son-in-law had been helping out post op, carefully wearing masks, and they've both tested positive. Aunt and uncle are both hospitalized. The younger generation is faring better.

I'm not sure. Hospitals are taking every precaution but sometimes things just get through... a friend of mine had a baby the week before Christmas who is now in the NICU and she fell ill with covid symptoms yesterday. She and her husband have been fully, 100% isolating since a few days before the birth (at which point they both tested negative), not even seeing their parents or her oldest child (who she has shared custody of) when they do porch drop-offs of groceries/supplies to ensure they don't pick up the virus and carry it to their little one. She's awaiting test results but if she caught it, the hospital is the only place where it could have happened... either during her stay to deliver him or when visiting in the NICU. I wouldn't have thought twice about scheduling a non-emergency procedure before her experiences because I'd have assumed all the extra precautions being taken right now would be effective, but now I'm not so sure. I think if it were something I could put off without making the issue worse, I'd be inclined to wait a few months until vaccination is more available and the virus is (hopefully) less prevalent.
Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me. We've seen several reports here of people working in hospitals going to work sick, because they can't afford to take time off. We've also seen reports of medical personnel who have Covid, but are asymptomatic or not showing obvious symptoms, being told they need to report to work. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in hospital safety.

OP, I would ask the surgeon, if putting off the surgery could lead to more damage. If so, I'd have the surgery. If not, I'd definitely put it off, until I could get a Covid vaccine.

I would. But it is a personal decision only you and your husband can make.

If I were in a super high risk city, I may weigh it more carefully. Where do you reside, OP?

Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me. We've seen several reports here of people working in hospitals going to work sick, because they can't afford to take time off. We've also seen reports of medical personnel who have Covid, but are asymptomatic or not showing obvious symptoms, being told they need to report to work. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in hospital safety.

OP, I would ask the surgeon, if putting off the surgery could lead to more damage. If so, I'd have the surgery. If not, I'd definitely put it off, until I could get a Covid vaccine.
This is my answer, as well.

Does he have to go to a nursing facility for rehab or going home and doing outpatient therapy? If home, I'd do it.

Does he have to go to a nursing facility for rehab or going home and doing outpatient therapy? If home, I'd do it.

my concern with this would be how outpatient therapy was conducted. when my brother had orthopedic surgery his outpatient pt, at least initially, was done in his home by an in home physical therapist. when he had it done covid was not an issue-now i wouldn't begin to consider having a medical provider who went to multiple homes provide me treatment in my home (let alone let them expose my other household members),

My husband and I are in a quandary. He has outpatient shoulder surgery scheduled for next week that we could postpone. We are concerned about Covid exposure during surgery and for the weeks of rehab after surgery.

Would you feel the risk is acceptable to have the surgery and therapy? His shoulder is painful but tolerable.

Thank you!
What are your risk factors for Covid? If it were me or someone I loved; I would only cancel if there was a really high/extreme risk factors of serious effects from Covid. Like maybe if I were elderly with an underlying concern.... or older 55+ with multiple underlying conditions.

my concern with this would be how outpatient therapy was conducted. when my brother had orthopedic surgery his outpatient pt, at least initially, was done in his home by an in home physical therapist. when he had it done covid was not an issue-now i wouldn't begin to consider having a medical provider who went to multiple homes provide me treatment in my home (let alone let them expose my other household members),
Being inpatient for therapy, I think would be riskier. You have all staff coming and going everyday. I work in a skilled nursing facility and it spread like wildfire once we got our 1st case. I believe home would be safer.

I literally can not wrap my head around years long waitlists for surgery. My sister just had surgery on her thumb 2 days ago. It was booked 10 days ago.

Yes, I would have the surgery and not worry. Hospitals and outpatient surgery clinics are taking all the necessary precautions around here.

might be because people are scared. Lots of people are putting off getting things done in hospitals.Notbing to be scared of I had colonoscopy done in November. It’s safe or I wouldn’t of got it done. I imagine when covid gets better people are going to start seeing their doctors for things that should of been caught early. I imagine cancer will be way up.

Last edited:
Being inpatient for therapy, I think would be riskier. You have all staff coming and going everyday. I work in a skilled nursing facility and it spread like wildfire once we got our 1st case. I believe home would be safer.
I think both situations can be risky. You have to weigh the risk against the need for immediate surgery vs. putting it off.

Yes. I had TKR late in 2019 and if I had waited...well who knows if I would have had it by now? It takes a long time to heal. I would definitely do it. Good luck!

I am. On the 12th. I actually started a thread about this “ankle instability”. The whole Covid situation is making me nervous. More nervous about my surgery being canceled last minute. I will have a Covid test the day before. But my surgeon reassured me they have change the rules now. If it’s a surgery that does not require or has a very low risk of needing an ICU bed or blood they continue to allow these surgeries to take place. I will be at a smaller hospital and to be honest my risk of getting Covid is probably just as high grocery shopping as going to the hospital. I hope.

I actually went to the doctor about a month ago specifically to inquire about having my ankle surgery now as I am furloughed. I’ve been putting this off for decades and I had a recent ankle sprain that was the straw that broke the camels back. So I said now or never is the time since I am literally doing nothing nor going anywhere soon.

My neighbor is also a nurse and commented that today the cleaning protocols have been really increased that statistically speaking I probably would’ve had a higher chance of dying from a hospital staf infection pre-Covid times than dying of Covid today ( putting my age and health in the mix). And when I think about I actually know of two people who have gotten staff infections. One passed away and the other one is paralyzed ( freak thing as the infection got into her spinal fluid ) . But this was like 10 years ago. So in a nutshell any hospital visit has its risks regardless of when

Last edited:
I have thought about this as I will have in-house therapy right after surgery. Lymph node massage/ drainage therapy for swelling. My plan is even though winter I will have it done in my living room. Open sliding doors and windows. And air 30 min after they leave too. N95 mask. Spray all touch points. IMO safer than a place that has closed windows etc. which most practices are

I'm due to have an elective foot/ankle surgery on March 4th. I scheduled it about 2 weeks ago and didn't really give COVID much thought. As I sit at home, though, and stew about the surgery and my anxiety over the surgery itself, I have to say, the concern has entered my my mind. I am hoping that most hospital staff in my area will have been vaccinated by that time, but likely not. I will be in the hospital hopefully as an outpatient, but likely all day. It's possible it will be overnight. I really don't want to come home with it and just not sure how risky it is.

As another poster said upthread, I think the greatest risk is from healthcare workers being asymptomatic or coming in when they don't feel quite right because of short staffing.

I have my weekly infusion down in our hospital's surgical ward.......I have always felt safe there throughout this Covid.

My SIL will be having her knee surgery done next week and isn't concerned either.

Go for it. 👍

I'd wait. It's one of those things where the odds are so slim, but what if you're one of the unlucky ones?

Side note - I believe Cleveland Clinic has cancelled all non-elective surgeries in our area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter