• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you leave a 9-year-old while you go on a ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/stranger-child-abductions-actually-very-rare-130514.htm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ee398c-b8b4-11e2-aa9e-a02b765ff0ea_story.html

CRIME DOWN, PERCEPTION OF CRIME UP:
“Take murder. The murder rate rose and fell over the 20th century, climbing to an early peak in 1933, then dropping sharply and staying low through the Depression, World War II, and into the 1960s. It rose to a record level in 1974, broke that record in 1980, and stayed prodigiously bloody through the early ’90s. This is when Bill Clinton boosted funding for local police forces, and police began experimenting with radical new approaches to policing, such as those employed in the so-called Boston Miracle. In 1994, the murder rate started to fall, and it’s been falling ever since. Rape, robbery, and aggravated assault have dropped along with it. Last year was no exception. According to preliminary FBI data, the murder rate dropped 10 percent from 2008 to 2009, robbery fell 6.5 percent, aggravated assault fell 3.2 percent, auto theft was down a whopping 18.7 percent.

But as the crime rate has dropped, Americans have missed the news. The number of people who told Gallup that crime is getting worse climbed to 74 percent last year, a figure higher than any year since the carnage of the early ’90s.
From this op-ed by Joe Keohane: http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-commentary/20100326-Joe-Keohane-The-crime-wave-762.ece

Actually, abduction by a stranger to the victim is 24%. http://www.parents.com/kids/safety/stranger-safety/child-abduction-facts/. If the ride is more important, go for it.

As far as I can tell, no child has ever been abducted from a Disney theme park. Sadly, more than one has drowned. So, by this logic, allowing your child to swim in the hotel pool is very wrong and dangerous. I would never tell others, "If swimming is more important, go for it!" so I can't see why criticizing those who would allow their children reasonable freedoms is helpful.

I can't say at what age I would be comfortable leaving DD alone. She'll be 6 this August and she's very anxious around people she does not see on a daily basis. She also does not like being alone at all.

When I was 9 I was a latch key kid. Maybe that is why I say no to it.

Every kid is different. Only you know when your child can handle certain situations.
I'm curious, for all the HELL, NOs........ what age WOULD you feel comfortable doing it? Just curious... I thought I was being overly helicopterish and that I would get mostly all "Yes, of course!", and honestly if she was 10, I wouldn't even be posting this thread b/c I would just assume that 10 is perfectly fine. But now seeing the "absolutely not"s, it's making me wonder what age you WOULD find it acceptable since it clearly sounds like 9 is not even CLOSE to an acceptable age for you????

I should have made this a poll. :D

I can't say at what age I would be comfortable leaving DD alone. She'll be 6 this August and she's very anxious around people she does not see on a daily basis. She also does not like being alone at all. Therefore, I just don't know when she'll be mature enough to do certain things, like waiting alone. Probably older than 9 if we keep going at this rate :)

When I was 9 I was a latch key kid. Maybe that is why I say no to it.

Every kid is different. Only you know when your child can handle certain situations.

Just some food for thought. My husband and younger son went on RNR and it broke down. They were stuck on the ride for over 30 minutes so I guess while not often it does happen. Would that be okay?

As far as I can tell, no child has ever been abducted from a Disney theme park. Sadly, more than one has drowned. So, by this logic, allowing your child to swim in the hotel pool is very wrong and dangerous. I would never tell others, "If swimming is more important, go for it!" so I can't see why criticizing those who would allow their children reasonable freedoms is helpful.

The children who drowned were likely being left unsupervised. That's a whole different issue than a parent responsibly taking their kids to the pool and watching over them.

http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/stranger-child-abductions-actually-very-rare-130514.htm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ee398c-b8b4-11e2-aa9e-a02b765ff0ea_story.html

CRIME DOWN, PERCEPTION OF CRIME UP:
“Take murder. The murder rate rose and fell over the 20th century, climbing to an early peak in 1933, then dropping sharply and staying low through the Depression, World War II, and into the 1960s. It rose to a record level in 1974, broke that record in 1980, and stayed prodigiously bloody through the early ’90s. This is when Bill Clinton boosted funding for local police forces, and police began experimenting with radical new approaches to policing, such as those employed in the so-called Boston Miracle. In 1994, the murder rate started to fall, and it’s been falling ever since. Rape, robbery, and aggravated assault have dropped along with it. Last year was no exception. According to preliminary FBI data, the murder rate dropped 10 percent from 2008 to 2009, robbery fell 6.5 percent, aggravated assault fell 3.2 percent, auto theft was down a whopping 18.7 percent.

But as the crime rate has dropped, Americans have missed the news. The number of people who told Gallup that crime is getting worse climbed to 74 percent last year, a figure higher than any year since the carnage of the early ’90s.
From this op-ed by Joe Keohane: http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-commentary/20100326-Joe-Keohane-The-crime-wave-762.ece

I think the cited sources: Federal Bureau of Investigation; National Crime Information Center; U.S. Justice Dept.; Vanished Children's Alliance; Redbook, February 1998; State of Washington's Office of the Attorney General; United States Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Prevention Juvenile Justice Bulletin, June 2000 stating that it's 24% are a little more reliable than one study by the National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway and Throwaway Children by the same author that wrote this opinion piece, but that's just me.

The children who drowned were likely being left unsupervised. That's a whole different issue than a parent responsibly taking their kids to the pool and watching over them.
Drowning is so swift & so silent that it has happened with parents watching - at times, even in the pool with the children, not realizing that one was in distress. It looks nothing like it does on TV.

Rather than 'age' being the important decision, is your dd mature and trustworthy? I could easily have left my dd, but not our ds (even at 12 yrs.)!!
Children are all different - even in the same family environment! Use your own judgement - you're the one that knows her the best!

Rather than 'age' being the important decision, is your dd mature and trustworthy? I could easily have left my dd, but not our ds (even at 12 yrs.)!!
Children are all different - even in the same family environment! Use your own judgement - you're the one that knows her the best!

Definitely agree with this. I would say that I think in general 9 is old enough to be left alone with specific instructions, but if you can't trust your 9 year old to follow them then obviously they shouldn't be.

Drowning is so swift & so silent that it has happened with parents watching - at times, even in the pool with the children, not realizing that one was in distress. It looks nothing like it does on TV.

There is no way to be actually watching a child up close and not realize he or she is in distress in the water. If the parent is far off or isn't paying attention, then yes, it can happen, but that falls under the category of the child being "unsupervised", as I said in my post.

I totally agree that drowning is silent & quick. At the Poly volcano pool I helped a small child who got stuck under the heavy waterfall (under the water). He was struggling to get to the surface & I lifted him out of the water & the pool, then he ran off, hopefully to his (neglectful) parents. There were a lot of people around, but I was the only person who happened to be looking in his direction- and of course, he'd been silent, as he was under the water. I never found out where his parents were.

If your child isn't a proven strong swimmer, never take your eyes off him or her while the child is in or near the water.

Last edited:
No. That isn't fair to or safe for the younger child.

What is so unsafe, what COULD happen?
My youngest would have loved to be alone, he would think it was unfair that mom had to stay with him while older bro got to do something by himself. Different kids, different feelings.

There is no way to be actually watching a child up close and not realize he or she is in distress in the water. If the parent is far off or isn't paying attention, then yes, it can happen, but that falls under the category of the child being "unsupervised", as I said in my post.

I totally agree that drowning is silent & quick. At the Poly volcano pool I helped a small child who got stuck under the heavy waterfall (under the water). He was struggling & I lifted him out of the water & the pool, then he ran off, hopefully to his (neglectful) parents. There were a lot of people around, but I was the only person who happened to be looking in his direction- and of course, he's been silent, as he was under the water. I never found out where his parents were.

If your child isn't a proven strong swimmer, never take your eyes off him or her while the child is in or near the water.
Accidents happen - even to supervised children of responsible parents. To suggest otherwise is certainly a defense mechanism - "it will never happen to my child because I'm doing it RIGHT" - but it's not reality.

Planning a trip for me and my two kids. My 9 year old does not do any big rides - like not even Splash or 7DMT. My 13 year old loves them, and I feel bad thinking about him ride them all by himself. I was thinking maybe for some rides I could go on with him and leave my daughter at the exit of the ride where we will be coming out? Obviously not if it's a long wait, but say 10-15 min. Max. What do you think??
No, I would not leave the 9 year old. Find another adult to go on the trip who won't mind waiting with the 9 year old, or bring a friend along for your 13 year old to ride with.

Accidents happen - even to supervised children of responsible parents. To suggest otherwise is certainly a defense mechanism - "it will never happen to my child because I'm doing it RIGHT" - but it's not reality.

It is reality that my child will never drown while I'm watching him. If more parents watched, fewer children would drown. Not a comforting fact for self-indulgent parents, but it's the truth. (I am not saying you are that kind of parent- just speaking in general.)

i think it depends on the child in question. some kids are quite capable of sitting and waiting for awhile, especially if they have a cell phone. some kids can't be trusted to stay in one place for 5 seconds. some kids can't even order their own meals at restaurants, never mind seeking out a cast member if they are uncomfortable or have a question. some kids are very calm and some tend to panic easily. kids can vary so widely at that age. only the parent knows if the kid has checked every "can they do this" box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter