Would you live and work at Disney World?

TheFortWildernessPodcast

Earning My Ears
I guess if we won the lottery and built a house inside Golden Oaks then yes, I would live in Disney World. I am more interested in one day living in a camper and moving to Ft. Wilderness. I've seen old threads on this topic before, but I was wondering if anyone was successfully pulling this off while working for Disney (or specifically, Ft. Wilderness.) Do they still give campsite discounts to cast members? If so, is it the 40-50% that people have said in the past?

I'm a Fort guy too. If the topic here is living on actual Disney property that's the place to go as its quiet and has more customizable living options. However it brings up questions in my mind.

1) will the "special" factor wear off living there all year vs going once a year or every couple years
2) will living in Florida work for me. I'm sure it has its pros and cons. I would miss the cold and the seasons where I am currently.
3) what kind of "work" are we talking. Am I retired and just making some cash for fun? Like a part time gig at the Trading Post? Or am I making a career out of this where I'd want to be working in the offices or managing a retail location within the parks.

Overall I've always thought of working at WDW because my career is tied to live event merchandise. However moving to FL was always a drawback to me, no offense to any locals here, I just love where I am currently.

I've thought about living in Orlando and working part time at Disney. I'm semi-retired right now, only work one day a week and will go on SS in a year. I could live fairly comfortable off that. As far as living in our RV full time, that's a big old nope for me. I love the Fort and I love our RV (a fifth wheel) it's plenty big for hubby and me but I know I would get tired of emptying the tanks, not having great water pressure, hand washing dishes, using the communal laundry, having to worry about the dog barking and disturbing others, etc. I could do it for maybe 6 months out of the year but full time and in one place, nope.

I would work for Disney in the studios departments (specifically WDAS), but not necessarily Disney World. I'm in IT, infrastructure, and while it's a disaster at the parks (allegedly), Disney isn't interested in fixing it, so working there would be a nightmare when higher ups don't care.

So, no, not me personally.

I had a contract several years ago that had me on site in Orlando for about 18 months. Company covered my lodging costs and per-diem, so it was great. When I was not working I could go over to WDW whenever I wanted.

I lived in Florida for 2 years, up until the pandemic. We enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I don't think I could handle the traffic and crowds specifically around WDW. Even getting to the grocery store would be a hassle. Florida, yes. Even East of Orlando, into Seminole County I could handle. Not "Fireworks in my backyard" close.

My parents just moved down there and having visited them, I'd say it's nice to live down there but not work. A lot of traffic and I always felt like Disney was a vacation spot for me, not a place to work.

I can only tolerate Florida weather for about three months out of the year, so no, I would not live and work at WDW.

But if DLP would hire me I'd be there in a heartbeat.

This has been a topic of conversation lately.
We live in South Florida currently and we love it, its expensive down here and I would love if I had the option to go to Disney for dinner or Saturday afternoon. I have to also get a job soon.. I have not worked in a very long time... maybe my happy place would be just the thing.

We are retired so the work part of this question doesn't apply to us. We moved to "fireworks every night" and love it. We don't have to deal with traffic/congestion because the Horizon West area is away from the tourist corridor.

I am hoping to do both when I "retire" from corporate life, maybe 6 or 7 years from now. Would love to live in Celebration, or maybe in the new Disney community planned for Lake Nona. Dream "retirement" job would be working at the Poly 😁😁

No, not me. I hate the heat and I love the changing seasons, especially when it kills off the bugs. There are a lot of things to do in my city, but I never do them. I think that's what would happen if I moved near WDW. It wouldn't be special anymore and it would lose the magic.

I would more to Florida to work for Imagineering and live in the area, but I would not want to live in Ft. Wilderness. I think living in a camper would get old after a few months, so unless I'm regularly travelling to other places I would have to pass.

Now once Disney opens up their Imagineering offices in Lake Nona, I'm going to at least send in some applications. Might not get or take any jobs, but if I did I would probably buy a house in Kissimmee to be close to work, Disney, and Universal.

I have dreamed of retiring and moving to the area and working anywhere at Disney where I could spread some pixie dust and be a part of the magic!

For me, Orlando and WDW are great places to visit. I don't believe I would enjoy living there for a number of reasons. Having spent 25 years of my life in north Lousiana, the heat and lack of mountains are big negatives. I do hear that Disney (big DIsney, not just WDW) is looking to hire a new General Counsel though . . . . but I'm afraid I would be considered overqualified. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter