Would you pay extra for a preferred room at Pop Century?

Like others said, I think it depends on your group. Are you all people 12-50ish in relatively good shape who don't have any medical issues? Go with standard. Are you older, have medical/mobility issues, are with young children who can't walk far, or will be dragging lots of heavy luggage? Maybe go with preferred.

Also something worth considering - are you bringing or renting a car? The preferred rooms can be a little far from the parking areas, and may not be preferable if you plan to hop in the car every day.

It's worth it to me. We really enjoy being close to the amenities. We've stayed standard and it's not THAT huge of a deal but yes I would pay $200 extra for it!
The only room we did not care for at Pop was the Preferred Pool View. NOISY!

Also something worth considering - are you bringing or renting a car? The preferred rooms can be a little far from the parking areas, and may not be preferable if you plan to hop in the car every day.
Ooh that's a good point. Definitely standard if you have a car! (and plan on using it frequently)

We had always booked standard at Pop. In 2018 we were upgraded to a preferred pool view room and loved it. We were on the second floor right by the main pool and it wasn’t that noisy at all. Went back to standard in 2019 and our room location was horrible. Booked 3 preferred pool view rooms for our family trip in 2020 which we then changed to this Oct/Nov but somewhere along the way there was a glitch and now 2 of them are just preferred. That’s fine, saved a lot of money. I love the location and like not having to think about where our rooms are going to be. It’s peace of mind for me and when you have anxiety issues like I do then it’s worth it.

I would not bother with preferred rooms at Pop. I find the resort to be a manageable size, so I don't feel I need it, especially if one requests certain buildings or decades when booking a standard room. Plus, I always imagine the preferred rooms might be noisier than the standard ones, since they tend to be in the busiest areas.

I think the resort is manageable to walk using standard, but I don't mind walking a little here and there. However, for any future trips to POP, I have decided to always book preferred pool view.

The 2x I've been, I have book standard and was lucky enough to be placed in the 60's each time. And wow did that make a huge difference with the skyliner. With the skyliner, I would gladly pay the extra for a preferred pool view have guaranteed 60's building placement.

No. We have always stayed Standard and have been as close/closer than the preferred rooms most times. The couple of times I was assigned a room further away from where I wanted to be I waited for a new room or, agreed to move the next day to get the location we wanted.

We booked Pop one year and decided that we wanted a room with a view. We saw on Touring Plans that you can see what kind of view we get from our room. We requested a lake view from building 4 (60's). It was a lovely view. Some evenings we even saw fireworks from Epcot. So we assumed it was a preferred room because of it's location. As it turned out, it was not a preferred room and we received a gift card of $160. Wheee hoooo. Free drinks for that trip :p 🍸🍻

I never pay for preferred rooms. I don’t mind the walk, and hate pool noise in my room lol! But… I’ve stayed in the 90s section and I have to say, even walking through the parking lot for my last cup of coffee at night- after a long day at the parks - was too much. So, don’t pay $207 (!) for preferred but also don’t settle for 90s.

I prefer the standard rooms @ Pop. For me, the walking distance is not that far, the rooms are quieter, and I am more likely to be close to the Hourglass Lake walkway, my favorite aspect of Pop.

My mom says she won't go unless I book preferred pool view for us. My mom (early 70s) likes to walk early in the morning and sometimes returns to the resort earlier in the evening, and she also makes a number of trips to refill our mugs. Our first two trips to Pop were in the 90s and in the 50s and she felt lost and confused getting back to the room. She has admitted that it's easier to find the room after multiple trips since our room is always in the same area - just on one side of the pool or the other. For us, it's knowing exactly where the room will be, 60s facing the pool, and the short walk to the main building and skyliner are a bonus.

Getting ready to book my trip for next year. The difference in price between staying in a preferred room vs. a standard room is $207. Would you say it is worth it? We've stayed at Pop in the 60's before but not sure how long a walk it is if I book a standard room and we end up in let's say the 80's or 90's.

Depends. I was looking at POP pool preferred for a trip. I wanted to be close to the skyliner and buses and it was well worth the extra money.

I always book preferred and request ground floor. Even with the scooter the less distance is preferred. We have stayed 60s, 70s, and 50s and have been happy with all of them. With using a scooter above the ground floor just doesn't seem preferred since we can't use the stairwells and have to go to the elevator and then backtrack.

In October we were assigned the farthest room possible and it was miserable making the hike to the room after a long day at the parks. In January we upgraded to the preferred room and it was worth every penny!!

View attachment 594752
This is such a good point. Many of the standard rooms are not a bad walk and still somewhat centrally located, but there is always a chance you get one of the rooms on the outskirts… for me it’s worth paying for the upgrade to avoid the possibility of that.

This is such a good point. Many of the standard rooms are not a bad walk and still somewhat centrally located, but there is always a chance you get one of the rooms on the outskirts… for me it’s worth paying for the upgrade to avoid the possibility of that.
If you book standard, and you're unhappy with your room location, and they can't move you, it's always worth asking to pay the difference and upgrade to preferred when you check in. Or ask if you can move to another standard location the next day if possible. No guarantee of availability of course, but a couple of options to consider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter