• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you say Expedition Everest is smooth like 7DMT or rough like BTMRR?

SaraVee

Mouseketeer
Hello,

Going in the fall with my sister who loves thrill rides, so I'm working up the courage to do some I'd normally skip so she doesn't have to ride alone very often.

I'm fine with 7DMT, and I'll ride BTMRR, even though I do think it's pretty rough. How would you say EE compares? I've watched some POV ride-throughs and am considering riding it...thank you!

We find Goofy's barnstormer rougher than 7DMT. Our family much prefers BTMRR, EE, SM and RNRC over 7DMT, we still like it, but as a roller coaster it is very tame.

Last edited:

In terms of smoothness, I think EE is smoother than BTMR. The curves are banked so you aren't rolling all over the place. Now that may be because each rider has his own lap bar, but I think it rides smoother. The backwards part is what does in quite a few people. My BFF loves Splash, Space, BTMR, California Screamin' RnRC, etc. but she won't ride EE with me ever again. By the way, I am a roller coaster wimp.

EE can be a bit more rough than the others while backwards. That being said it is still a very tame "thrill" ride. If you are used to 6 flags, cedar point, knots berry farm etc you won't find it thrilling at all.

the seven dwarfs is probably the smoothest coaster disney has because of the way the carts tilt--none of their other coasters ever quite reach that level. having said that, i think everest is pretty smooth... certainly smoother than big thunder mountain for sure. the backwards part isn't exactly rough imo, but it can definitely be frightening just in principle

That's really hard to say. BTMRR is the most bumpy, but EE makes me feel the most sick. As others have said, the backward part does a number on me. EE isn't scary; it just messes up my equilibrium. While I think that EE is smoother than BTMRR, I much prefer BTMRR to EE. My aging self can't handle EE. LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - they're very helpful. Question about the backwards part...so much of the backwards part is dark that it's hard to tell in the POV videos...is it a steep backwards drop? I don't mind speed, it's normally drops that I don't enjoy. I am prone to motion sickness, but that's more so with simulator-type rides.

EE can be a bit more rough than the others while backwards. That being said it is still a very tame "thrill" ride. If you are used to 6 flags, cedar point, knots berry farm etc you won't find it thrilling at all.

That's good to hear. I try to avoid thrilling rides, so the tamer the better. I normally skip them, but hoping to join my sister so she's not riding alone too much. I do ride 7DMT, BTMRR, and Test Track. Speed is good, I just don't like drops.

The backward part is fast (speed) and, if I am recalling right, in the dark backwards part it goes up and turns. In the beginning of the backwards, you fall back, and down; it's a drop, but at speed. The dark backwards part made me sick the second time (in a row). I'll do it again next time, it's a GREAT coaster, but only once.

It is smoother than btmr. Nothing is smoother than 7dmt.

Editing for accuracy.

That's good to hear. I try to avoid thrilling rides, so the tamer the better. I normally skip them, but hoping to join my sister so she's not riding alone too much. I do ride 7DMT, BTMRR, and Test Track. Speed is good, I just don't like drops.

So, just saw this. It is thrilling. It's an exhilarating, thrilling ride. Not tame. It's more intense than btmr. I guess I should caveat that these statements are all in my opinion. I do agree, though, that it is not like Cedar Rapids coasters or your other amusement park coasters.

EE was still pretty smooth when we rode it last (in 2014). During the backwards portion, you won't see where you're going, but it's no rougher than the same track going forwards. If you're prone to motion sickness, hang on tight and ride on an empty stomach!

I agree with most. EE is smoother than BTMRR, but not as smooth as 7DMT. My wife, who does not like coasters very much will actually ride EE more than once a trip because she feels the general smoothness of the ride reduces the potential level of motion sickness. The backwards part kind of plays a Space Mountain Jedi Mind Trick. Space Mountain only tops out at 28mph, but feels faster and more intense than that because it's dark, and has lots of direction and acceleration changes. If you look at what EE does when it goes backwards, it's really not all that bad, but your body has a hard time believing that in the midst of it.

I grew up on wooden coasters, and still love them. Those are on a whole different plane of existence when it comes to roughness. I am pretty sure that if you ever wondered what it was like to have your spleen removed while still conscious, you could just ride the Raven at Holiday World. Boom. Spleen gone.

After that, all other coasters seem pretty darn smooth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter