• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you send your child to school after a security scare?

mom2boys

<font color=blue>Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 swit
DS17 is a senior in high school. A student was arrested at school today "for inappropriate social media postings". Rumor is he threatened a shooting. The student was removed from the building by law enforcement without incident today. I can't imagine he'll be back anytime soon.
DS says he wants to go to school tomorrow to show that his life won't be altered by other's threats. DH isn't home form work yet, so I haven't talked to him about it.
So would you let your child go to school tomorrow?

Yes, I think I would if they identified and caught the kid. Although my dd is also a senior and I would let her decide for herself if she felt comfortable going.

Cannot live in fear.

Statically , if you add up all the school murder deaths in the past 100 years , they do not hold a candle to the number of fatalities of people driving to school.
As awful as Sandy Hook was, it was sort of like winning the power-ball of horror.
You cannot predict was a crazy person will do, when or where they will do it, or if it will affect you.

Its just the world we live in ....always has been.

Yes, it would seem the threat was removed.

Not to hijack, but I witnessed something this morning after dropping DD off at her school that almost made me go in and check her out.

The coach who stands out every day with a stop sign to let traffic out from the school onto the busy road got into an altercation with a motorist. As I approached the exit to the school driveway, I saw a motorist stop within 6 inches of the coach, this angered the coach. The coach threw his stop sign on the hood of the car and then went to the man's door pulling the door handle off (apparently the doors were locked) and then tried to reach in the man's window. All the while both are exchanging words-I didn't hear as the window was up and I didn't roll it down.

Other teachers managed to talk the coach down and the motorist drove away. They and I got the tag number of the man and I came home and reported it to the local police and asked for extra police patrol today around the school. While I think the coach was wrong for his part, I also didn't know if the motorist would come back looking for the coach and endanger the school. What a way to start the morning!

i would let him go. there is also a threat at my DD16 high school for tomorrow. she asked me if she could stay home because she is afraid. i told her no, after a bit of discussion of course.

Yes, I would. However all of our local schools are cancelled tomorrow due to an unsubstantiated rumor that someone was planning something. It seems like this may become a modern equivalent of pulling a fire alarm to get out of school. :( The kids will have to make up the day at some point. Better safe than sorry, I suppose, but I just wonder how far it's going to go.

I would also let him decide. We have a half day here tomorrow but my DD will not be going. Most of the kids at the HS are staying home. My son wants to go because they still have a party and watch a movie, so it will be a fun day for him.

I did get a note from his principle about sending gifts and food in to the school tomorrow. He asked for us to send everything with our child. If we had to come in, we had to go by the office and sign in, get a badge, and they would call the teacher to let her know that we would be going to the class room. No one would be allowed in the locked room unless the teacher had agreed to let you come. This is all new for us, and I am happy they are doing it. :goodvibes

yes... there have been 3 bomb threats in the past 2 weeks in our town...2 at the high school and one at the middle school and my kids are still going to school.

All 3 of mine are staying home today because 3 area schools, including ours, have shooting threats for today.
We are probably being over protective, but our son died in Sept and we don't feel comfortable risking it!

We had a similar issue here, but since we are located pretty close to the mall shooting a few days before the school shooting the school is being proactive and there are no classes tomorrow. If there were classes he would go.

Around here they suspended a boy for questionable postings. Shootings threatened according to dd. But he didn't post those just general angry stuff. I let dd decide fo herself. It's a party day so if she doesn't want to go I know she is scared.

DS17 is a senior in high school. A student was arrested at school today "for inappropriate social media postings". Rumor is he threatened a shooting. The student was removed from the building by law enforcement without incident today. I can't imagine he'll be back anytime soon.
DS says he wants to go to school tomorrow to show that his life won't be altered by other's threats. DH isn't home form work yet, so I haven't talked to him about it.
So would you let your child go to school tomorrow?

Absolutely.

Doesn't he have finals? My dd has honors Algebra 2 and AP Euro finals today. No way she is missing those.

Plus she has missed so many sick days she can't stay home.

Yes imy kids are ing to school. My kids high school had one for yesterday, parents were notified and there is increased security today. It is only half a day- so for me it isn't an issue.

The school where I work had a threat as well. Can't comment on the details, but it is all safe and we work today as well.

My kids would be going to school because in all honesty I'm not really worried about the threats. I can't recall, but I don't think any of the people who committed any of these shootings actually made a threat beforehand, they just did it.

Yes, even before the school would call to say 'threats' have been investigated and measures taken. I have not kept them home yet due to them.

I would and I have. We went through a series of bomb threats last year.

Doesn't he have finals?

MM - semester ends mid-January, so no finals to worry about.

DS is off to school. His choice. DH & I discussed after he got home last night.

DS will make his own decisions should a situation arise. If he doesn't trust admin's decision, he won't follow it blindly. It took all I had not to tell him not to be a hero. He has aspirations for a career in law enforcement. It fits his personality - not one to sit back and let others take charge in an emergency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter