WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
Hi, everyone! I thought I'd share this question that Zoë Wood asked our readers in an article we published on wdwinfo.com to see what you all think.

As I am sure you can imagine, I often end up having a lot of unusual conversations about Disney with my friends and co-workers. When you spend so much time engrossed in the magic, it stands to reason that sometimes, the more peculiar topics will come to light. Most recently, I was chatting with a friend of mine about making his return to Disney with his wife, and he asked me a question that really made me stop and think. Naturally, my first instinct was to bring the topic here to you, our DIS Community, to see what you think.

'Are there any adults-only Disney resorts?' he says to me with a clueless yet hopeful expression painted across his face. Of course, my first instinct was, no, that is a stupid question; then I paused. Is it a stupid question? I’m wondering what market there would be for an adult-only resort. I am so embedded in my motherhood after sixteen years that I can’t fathom a world where this would be an option or when I would opt for it, even if it were. However, maybe it isn’t as silly as it first sounded. After all, there are adults-only areas of cruise ships and hotels like Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa; why couldn’t there be an adults-only resort where everything within was tailored specifically to a more mature audience?

I’m not convinced this one is for me, but I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Would you stay in a Disney Resort that was still themed appropriately but only accessible for an adult market?

1000% I would stay in an adults only hotel, especially at Disney, to which I want it to include adults only dining and bars, maybe a cool themed bar like Trader Sam's. It would also have to mean no visiting children. I would bet it stays booked solid.

EDIT to add I am not interested in a Sandals or party atmosphere. Disney can definitely design it in a way that controls and structures it as a Disney Adult resort.

Last edited:

I'm answering maybe. We do travel often with just adults. I like the adults only areas on the cruise. But we are calm adults. I don't want to stay where its going to be a party atmosphere. And in as many resort stays as we have had where we spent a lot of time enjoying the resort, we have only been bothered by kids a couple of times. Usually they're cute and entertaining. (Except for our own kids--they drive us crazy! :rotfl: )

Another big yes for me. No screaming kids at breakfast, no screaming kids in the pool area, no "Disney Moms" pushing their special snowflake in front of others at character meets.

I love the adult only areas on the ships, the calm of the adult pool area, and I only eat breakfast and lunch at the MDR.

If the adult only Disney experience from the ships was replicated at a Disney onsite hotel, I would defiantly save up for it.

Adults only is a niche market in general they turn into more of a party resort. 21 is an adult and a bar is a bar….. Disney whole marketing is multi generational and by leaving kids or grandkids home they potentially lose the opportunity of having a generation of Disney fans.
Disney slammed the door on this concept years back when they closed pleasure island as it was drawing crowds having more than Disney fun.
if I were in my 20’s with no kids you bet I woukd like an adults only but being in my…. Having kids and went to adults only in my 20’s that would be a solid no for me.

An adults-only resort? Absolutely not at Walt Disney World, or DLR. If you don't want to be around kids, find another vacation destination. The reason Walt built Disneyland was so parents and kids could enjoy the theme park experience together. WDW and DLR are about the parks. The resorts are appurtenant to that. Maybe (big maybe) a property like Hilton Head or Vero Beach, but it would have to be away from the theme parks.

Now, an adults-only cruise would be a whole different ball of wax. Aside from the veneer of theming and characters, a cruise ship is a cruise ship.

I mostly stay at Epcot area resorts, and at the most reasonably priced one at that. Looking at you Swan & Dolphin and DVC rentals. If an adults only opened around Epcot, and the price was very good, I might. Not for the experience of adults only, but because it was better priced than the other Epcot resorts. The idea of adults only isn't particularly appealing to me though.

Last edited:
We definitely would. Not that kids in the actual hotel bother me at all, but I would stay there mainly for the pool/hot tub area. Even though all the hot tubs have signs saying children need to be accompanied by an adult, no one does and it stinks to be trying to relax in the hot tub while kids are running in and out like it's a swimming pool.

I would never stay in an Adults-Only Disney Resort, but I would stay in a Resort that bans anyone that answers yes to this question.
Promise? :laughing:

I absolutely would too. In fact, Riviera is our favorite WDW resort because the kid quotient is so low, of all the WDW resorts. The quiet pool there is actually quiet, probably because it's so close to the Madhouse Pool. Still, there are still kids that scream and yell when walking down the halls, with their parents doing nothing to stop them, even at Riviera, so there's that.

I imagine Grand Destino could be nice too, though we're DVC people and are unlikely to ever stay there because of that.

I don't mind kids; just what comes out of their mouths.

I wouldn't, No. I love seeing the children's amazement at Disney. We love watching the little ones playing and on the rides. It's what makes Disney a special place to us. I seem to be in the minority, but that's okay.
I also feel like others on here that an 21 and above atmosphere would be like other party cruises, etc.

I think there are already some more adult centric resorts at WDW. But, to make an exclusive resort sort of makes me think of Virgin cruise line following the same model in terms of age restrictions. It really comes down to theme and objective of the layout. In a way, POFQ could have easily been designed as adults only from the onset.

So I guess I like the concept but need additional parameters to really make a decision.

An adults-only resort? Absolutely not at Walt Disney World, or DLR. If you don't want to be around kids, find another vacation destination. The reason Walt built Disneyland was so parents and kids could enjoy the theme park experience together. WDW and DLR are about the parks. The resorts are appurtenant to that. Maybe (big maybe) a property like Hilton Head or Vero Beach, but it would have to be away from the theme parks.

Now, an adults-only cruise would be a whole different ball of wax. Aside from the veneer of theming and characters, a cruise ship is a cruise ship.
I think that is a misinterpretation of what Walt intended. Yes he wanted to PARENTS (adults) to enjoy with their kids ... because he found that most places geared to the kids and the adults were not enjoying themselves .. and in time might not want to go. The parks were specifically designed for adult enjoyment, along with their kids. There are multiple quotes that reference guests being ageless, not restricted to adults with kids.

He was asked the ratio of who went and he was clearly said it was mostly adults.

DISNEY OLDSTERS (Adults)

Over the last 10-15 years Disney has actively marketed to adults, have added more and more adult geared restaurants, expanded Disney Springs, added alcohol to the Magic Kingdom, expanded the festivals (alcohol heavy) geared to adults, rides with height restrictions, added things like Jollywood Nights that will be very expensive for families ... And as someone who goes regularly, even in summer the number of adults far outweighed the children. Disney makes way more money off adults than they do kids. They will never discourage that.

Adults only is a niche market in general they turn into more of a party resort. 21 is an adult and a bar is a bar….. Disney whole marketing is multi generational and by leaving kids or grandkids home they potentially lose the opportunity of having a generation of Disney fans.
Disney slammed the door on this concept years back when they closed pleasure island as it was drawing crowds having more than Disney fun.
if I were in my 20’s with no kids you bet I woukd like an adults only but being in my…. Having kids and went to adults only in my 20’s that would be a solid no for me.

Adding one hotel that is geared for adults would have absolutely NO IMPACT on families going. Have absolutely no impact on generations traveling together. And no it doesn't have to be a party hotel, Disney is in complete control of the ambience.

I don't really understand - if someone doesn't want to stay at an adult only, don't. What would it matter? I don't stay at Grand Floridian because I think it is a dated, boring, overpriced hotel ~ doesn't mean it doesn't have value for others. I don't say it shouldn't be there. :confused3 Find it strange that folks think an adult hotel has no place at a resort that markets highly to adults and their money.

Last edited:
I would definitely consider any resort built if it is in an area I am interested in being or has facilities/feel that appeals to me. Unless I am traveling with children, then I would pick a resort that accommodates them. If I am not traveling with children, I will consider even adult only resorts.

I do think if WDW or DLR were to create such a resort, it would likely be similar to Riviera, as others have noted. They could really go the subtle route on the Disney theme for those that would like to be "on property", but want to try and limit their "Disney" to the parks. I probably would be more likely to chose one of these type on a relaxed park trip where I might only spend about 6 hours throughout the day at the park and the rest of the time at the resort.

Now, if they wanted to do a private island for an adult resort, that would be a fabulous idea. Heck, if the island was big enough, they could do half as family friendly and half as adult only. Then if anything they could have a small area in the middle accessible by either side. I could actually see something like this as an all inclusive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter