Would you stay offsite during Spring Break?

Jchoma

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a spring break trip in 2019 (the week leading up to Easter) and on-site resort prices on super high. I was quoted $2,700 for 7 nights at POR ($300/night). The Poly was quoted at $717/ night for a standard view! It's definitely my preference to stay onsite, but considering we could rent a resort condo at Bonnet Creek or similar for $1,400, the price jump for onsite is really hard to justify.

So here are my questions. Since it'll be a very crowded week, will not having access to EMH and 60-day FP be a huge issue? There are 4 in our party, 2 adults, 2 kids. If onsite, we would take advantage of a.m. EMH but probably not evening EMH, my kids can't hang that late.

Do the pros of staying offsite and saving the $$ to stay onsite outweigh the cons of losing EMH and 60-day FP access? I LOVE staying onsite, but an extra $1,300 is so hard to swallow (especially for a moderate....it would be different if we were comparing offsite to the GF or POLY, then we'd spring for it).

We don't want to do a value resort; we want a pool with a slide and 2 queen beds. I've also looked at the Disney Springs "good neighbor" hotels with 60 day FP perks and they look ok, but we REALLY want a fantastic pool and I don't know any of them have it. Especially during spring break, when we'll take afternoon breaks to escape the crowds and have lots of resort time. So if we did offsite, it would be at a resort like Wyndham Bonnet Creek with great amenities and a fantastic pool.

We would drive to the parks every day regardless of where we stay.

Also, would you consider a split stay so that we could be in the "disney bubble" at least part of our trip, and also get earlier FP access for our onsite days?

Help! I can't decide! :) I also know room discounts may come out that could help, but not sure how likely that is during a peak week.

HHMMM and I was going to suggest one of the good neighbor hotels to get the 60 day window. Have you tried YouTubing each of the hotels to see if any of the pools would suite you?

I would stay onsite and try to get a promo that comes out for the Disney hotel.

I would check any hidden resort/parking fee, and if your week coincides with Florida schools spring break. If not the crowds are manageable.

I was going to suggest renting points but you mentioned two queen beds. Studios have one queen and a sofa bed.

I would try my best to stay onsite during that crowded week.

HHMMM and I was going to suggest one of the good neighbor hotels to get the 60 day window. Have you tried YouTubing each of the hotels to see if any of the pools would suite you?
Great suggestion! Thanks! The pool at the Hilton lake Buena vista palace looks good, but rooms are comparable in costs to a moderate so not much benefit there. By the time I add in parking & resort fees, it’s actually more to stay there than POR.

I would stay onsite and try to get a promo that comes out for the Disney hotel.
Do you think it’s likely I could get a resort discount Easter week? That would be great!!

I was going to suggest renting points but you mentioned two queen beds. Studios have one queen and a sofa bed.

I would try my best to stay onsite during that crowded week.
I would actually be open to that setup especially if it was at a deluxe. The thought of non-refundable fees makes me a little nervous though. Aren’t DVC point rentals non refundable?

I would actually be open to that setup especially if it was at a deluxe. The thought of non-refundable fees makes me a little nervous though. Aren’t DVC point rentals non refundable?

Yes pretty much.

We are doing BWV for a week in November and it comes out to $189 a night. I rented through someone on the Dis Rent board.

I would stay offsite if I were in your shoes! Bonnet Creek is beautiful, close, & has terrific amenities. Seriously, I wouldn't even second guess that decision! Have fun planning!!!:daisy:

I stayed offsite last year the week leading up to Easter.
We had a party of 14 and it was insanely cheap per person to stay in a 7 bedroom house in Clermont.
We drove down and back.
I surprisingly didn't have too hard of a time getting FP+ 30 days out one day at a time for the group.
Only trouble I had was for 7DMT but when park hours were extended I was able to get it.
I love staying onsite and certainly would have if it were solely up to me but overall it was fine staying offsite other than the semi longer drive time to the parks very early in the morning and late at night when we would have preferred hopping on a Disney bus.

I'm planning a spring break trip in 2019 (the week leading up to Easter) and on-site resort prices on super high. I was quoted $2,700 for 7 nights at POR ($300/night). The Poly was quoted at $717/ night for a standard view! It's definitely my preference to stay onsite, but considering we could rent a resort condo at Bonnet Creek or similar for $1,400, the price jump for onsite is really hard to justify.

So here are my questions. Since it'll be a very crowded week, will not having access to EMH and 60-day FP be a huge issue? There are 4 in our party, 2 adults, 2 kids. If onsite, we would take advantage of a.m. EMH but probably not evening EMH, my kids can't hang that late.

Do the pros of staying offsite and saving the $$ to stay onsite outweigh the cons of losing EMH and 60-day FP access? I LOVE staying onsite, but an extra $1,300 is so hard to swallow (especially for a moderate....it would be different if we were comparing offsite to the GF or POLY, then we'd spring for it).

We don't want to do a value resort; we want a pool with a slide and 2 queen beds. I've also looked at the Disney Springs "good neighbor" hotels with 60 day FP perks and they look ok, but we REALLY want a fantastic pool and I don't know any of them have it. Especially during spring break, when we'll take afternoon breaks to escape the crowds and have lots of resort time. So if we did offsite, it would be at a resort like Wyndham Bonnet Creek with great amenities and a fantastic pool.

Also, would you consider a split stay so that we could be in the "disney bubble" at least part of our trip, and also get earlier FP access for our onsite days?

Help! I can't decide! :) I also know room discounts may come out that could help, but not sure how likely that is during a peak week.

We always stay offsite (4 trips and 5th booked for october). This past October we stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We rented directly from an owner and got a great deal. Although I would LOVE to stay at the Poly or GF, we are a family of 6 and for the room we need, the cost is outrageous. Bonnet Creek is an amazing property with great pools. We rented a car and were able to navigate quickly to all of the parks and hotels quickly considering the proximity of the hotel.

Also...the only fastpass I wasn't able to get was Flight of Passage but we rope dropped and were off of it by 9:15a.m. we had a party of 9 and absolutely no problem with the 30 day window for fastpasses. I just made sure I logged on the second I was able to reserve.

I was under the impression that all moderate Disney hotels now have 2 queen sized beds. Am I mistaken? Thanx.

I was under the impression that all moderate Disney hotels now have 2 queen sized beds. Am I mistaken? Thanx.
Moderates do, but I believe most values have 2 doubles. That’s one of the reasons we would book a moderate over a value.

Great suggestion! Thanks! The pool at the Hilton lake Buena vista palace looks good, but rooms are comparable in costs to a moderate so not much benefit there. By the time I add in parking & resort fees, it’s actually more to stay there than POR.

Do you think it’s likely I could get a resort discount Easter week? That would be great!!
I was reading some reviews of Hilton Lake Buena Vista Palace this morning on Trip Advisor and it doesn't seem like a great property for the price.

I was reading some reviews of Hilton Lake Buena Vista Palace this morning on Trip Advisor and it doesn't seem like a great property for the price.
I agree. If it offered significant savings over a moderate I would consider it, but I don’t think that’s the case.

Reactions: Iya

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter