Would you support a "members reservation exchange" category on the Rent/Trade Boards?

WelcomeHome

Mouseketeer
Since there are more and more DVC properties coming available
AND
since there are more DVC members signing up every year
AND
since more & more resorts and room categories are already sold out at the start of the 7 month window during popular times of the DVC year,
WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
if DVC members had a forum on the Rent/Trade Board specifically for 2 DVC members to exchange reservations for their 11 month window advantages?

This way you would truly be guaranteed to stay at ANY resort you'd like during ANY time of year you want - FANTASTIC ! This would probably eliminate resort bashing since all members will have a chance to stay at any DVC resort and our attention would shift to how wonderful and unique each DVC resort is!

HERE'S A EXAMPLE: I use my BCV home resort advantage to make reservations for an OKW owner who wants to guarantee a BVC stay at the Food and Wine Festival. That same OKW owner uses his 11 month window advantage to make a reservation to guarantee my stay in a OKW Grand Villa during December holiday season!

This would allow EVERY DVC member to have the opportunity to do a "reservation exchange" with another member to aquire the 11 month advantage at their respective home resorts.

Keep in mind, both parties will need to call day-to-day at the start of their 11 month window advantage and successfully book the reservation or the deal's off. As far as any difference in points for the 2 reservations, a small rental agreement for the difference in points at a very attractive "member to member" rate can be determined. Personally, I think the response for this type of arena will be sufficiently strong that members will have the luxury of reponding only the posts requiring approximately the same number of points. (I'm sure somebody can draw up a simple agreement to protect both parties - and this "member reservation exchange" should be less work and even safer than dealing with a total stranger during a traditional rental.)

I'm taking another DVC members suggestion and contacting Webmaster Doc & Casbill (Rent/Trade Moderators) to see if they'll be kind enough to give their input. I'm asking both gentlemen to take a look at this tread to gauge how many members might be interested in this kind of "members reservation exchange." So if you'd like this opportunity to become a reality then please reply to this post - even if you just send a quick smily face to voice your approval. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Dave

Wont this just encourage more speculative bookings by members with the hope of holding prime dates to leverage a good exchange?

No. I don't think even having the rent/trade board is good. Strikes me as basically providing a tool for members to violate the "intent" of thier agreement. There are SEVERAL commerical renters over there running a business on the DIS servers.

Wont this just encourage more speculative bookings by members with the hope of holding prime dates to leverage a good exchange?
Yep, it sure would!

OP's suggestion strikes me as a truly bad idea...designed entirely to negate everyone's home resort advantage.

Maybe I should clearify my intentions. No one would book a reservation in advance to get a good exchange - that would defeat the purpose of my suggestion.

You wouldn't make an advance reservation because you wouldn't know when the other DVC member wants to go or even what size room they need. I brough up this suggestion because there will be many situations where it will satisfy the needs of 2 DVC members.

My idea certainly isn't designed to negate anyones 11 month advantage. If you want to go the your home resort every time, I'm happy for you and I understand why you wouldn't have any interest in this.

Yes, you have quickly brought it to my attention that there will always be some people who try to abuse the system - since that was never my intention it never occured to me.

I am the owner of 3 very desireable DVC resorts, I love all three of them and use my 11 month window advantage for them often. But like MANY DVC members, I like trying all the different resorts (that's probably why I own at 3 of them). This idea is simply a way for me to assure my stay at any DVC resort at any time of year.

So put down your weapons, ladies & gentlemen. My intentions are honorable!

Best wishes,
Dave

I'm sure nobody thinks you're being dishonorable. Some of us just think it's a bad idea, for the reasons stated. Personally, I think there would be more abuse than beneficial use of such a system.

Actually though, I don't see why someone couldn't do what you suggest as things are right now. The biggest problem would be that it would require a lot of trust, because you would essentially be "renting" without any exchange of money.

I'd make a ressie for you at OKW during December and you'd make one for me during F & W. The problem is, if I go to F & W and then cancel your ressie for December, you're in a world of hurt with little practical recourse.

So how does one put a value on the points for a reservation exchange? Are the points at VWL worth more than points at another resort? Are the larger DVC resort's points worth less? It would seem to be hard to get people to agree on the value, thus making a reservation exchange a hard deal to close.

Yes, DVC puts value on a night's stay at a DVC resort in points, but a member's value of those points may be different.

For a Me and DH visit, I would try, perhaps, but not for a 3-4 generation trip. There are individuals that I would trust just from what I read here and PM with, but in general, I wouldn't trust a family vacation to a stranger. Especially not, since I own at DVC and really can put together a vacation we will all love.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I don't support the original poster's idea.

So how does one put a value on the points for a reservation exchange? Are the points at VWL worth more than points at another resort? Are the larger DVC resort's points worth less? It would seem to be hard to get people to agree on the value, thus making a reservation exchange a hard deal to close.

Yes, DVC puts value on a night's stay at a DVC resort in points, but a member's value of those points may be different.

That's a good question - I feel all points would always have equal value. If I wanted to ensure a stay at AKV costing 150 points then the AKV owner would be entitled to 150 of my BWV or VWL points!

Jim, I also understand your concern about getting your vacation cancelled after the other DVC member goes on his vacation - this is a legitimate point. My answer is that some trust will always be involved in these situations and I would never do a "member reservation exchange" without feeling COMPLETELY comfortable about the other DVC member (& I'd want a signed agreement too).

I've only rented once and I was very worried when I put my points up for rent. But it winds up I rented to incredibly nice people - they had no problem signing an agreement and we were equally co-operative with each other. Over the course of the rental, we exchanges our address, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. They was never any doubt in my mind that he would make his 2 payments on time and there was never any doubt in his mind that I would stick to my end of the deal. I knew I would never offer the rental points to ANYBODY who I didn't feel completely comfortable with.

I'm sure the same can occur often between many DVC members. Once again, my suggestion is simple - an opportunity for DVC members to stay at any DVC resort at any time of year they want - a mutually beneficial relationship! Not all the time and not for everyone, but a great opportunity when there are 2 DVC emmbers who can help each other.

Any other opinions out there?

Best wishes,
Dave

Any other opinions out there?
Personally, I love the idea of direct owner-to-owner exchanges!

We can't possibly add-on at every resort that interests us. Far better to form trusting relationships and to help one another! (Life is no fun simply, "Fending for self.")

No. I don't think even having the rent/trade board is good. Strikes me as basically providing a tool for members to violate the "intent" of thier agreement. There are SEVERAL commerical renters over there running a business on the DIS servers.

I agree with Carol.

I'm not in favor of the idea. While I'm sure your intentions are good, I have little doubt that it will open the door for folks reserving peak weeks just to get a good trade. No different in my mind from "renters" who reserve peak weeks with no intention of staying just to sell them later. The theory of your idea isn't bad, but the reality of it is a different ballgame IMHO.

I think it is worth a try. Can this be done currently in the R/T forum??

I think a separate forum area will would be good to allow more success in finding a match.
I own BCV and VB and would love some time to trade points and get a GV.

I think opening up the rent/trade board to member reservation exchanges would be a good idea. It get's back to the origional "trade" idea of the board.

Just my opinion, but I don't support the idea. I agree with JimMIA that it would negate home resort advantage, and CarolA from the commercial renting standpoint. :smokin:

MG

NO-I think too many people will just book desirable weeks even if they don't know they will need them for trade. i would like to get rid of the rent/trade board for that matter though!! lol

I doubt it would make much difference one way or another as I suspect many members would be willing to go this route. I do find it interesting that the portions people are complaining about would be allowed in terms of DVC to non DVC timeshare trades and rentals but not DVC to DVC trades.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter