Would you support a "members reservation exchange" category on the Rent/Trade Boards?

It seems to me that any people who want to do this already can...simply start a thread along the lines of the pool chair swap or Christmas tree swap...probably in "Planning?" Or maybe build a "subcommittee" (like the different resort lovers' threads?) of people who are willing to consider swaps and they can then PM each other (or exchange email addresses) when specific vacation plans materialize? I do think the idea of thread where people who want to pursue this can find each other "in general," if not for a specific reservation, would be useful to many of us...

But, I suspect not all that many people will actually be able to do this...maybe BCV and VWL owners relative to each other...possibly BWV owners some of the time...too soon to tell about AKV...but for SSR and OKW owners I have my doubts...too easy to get a reservation, at pretty much any time (within five months or so) other than the 3-4 "big weeks" at those resorts (a possible exception is the GV at OKW--but then only for people w/lots of points to trade--both on the having and wanting sides!...).

Our personal situation is a good example: We own at SSR and love it there...we also love BCV...I would surely be interested in trading some time at SSR for time at BCV--but would any BCV owner "need" my SSR points? We usually get a studio...very occasionally, a one-bedroom...I have a hard time seeing when any BCV owner would "need" (or even want!) my SSR points (at those levels)...of course I see the value to me to get an 11-month reservation at BCV, perhaps for F&W or at T-giving--but I sure don't see a comparable need for my SSR points...so I wonder if this would ever work for owners like me? And while the BCV owner might want to try VWL in December, and the VWL owner might want to do BCV at F&W time, I don't really see any other situation where a BCV owner or a VWL owner would need the 11-month window anywhere else...

AKV could change this equation...hard to tell at this point...

But, we'll never know unless we try...so, maybe OP could start a thread, a la the "SSR Owners and Lovers Thread" or the "Christmas Tree Swap" thread, where we can all "list" ourselves as interested in seeing if there are any trades we'd be willing to negotiate?

Anyway, I like the idea in concept... but I'm not sure its own forum on the R/T board is the right way to approach it (and I absolutely HATE disagreeing with JimMIA, who's "my hero"--he helped me enormously when I got scammed last year!--, or I might be more willing to tackle the problems that a separate forum on the R/T board! would raise)...

So I'm a "provisional" vote in favor of a way to find owners willing to trade, if not of a separate forum on the R/T board...

I don't really object to it but I doubt I would use it. I bought where I wanted to stay- 3 different DVC resorts so far! I think I'm done buying now. Maybe.

Anyway... I don't think I need the 11 mo advantage at any other resort. I'll probably try a couple that I don't own points at eventually... but not in the near future.

I appreciate the current R/T board though as that is where I found someone nice enough to transfer the extra points to me that I need for this December and our extended family trip (All of DH's immediate family members so there will be 12 of us.) Even with banking and borrowing, we didn't have enough points to put all of us at one location for the length of time we wanted in December. Having access to someone who was advertising that she had BWV points for transfer was a Godsend for me.

Now that I have added AKV points, chances are I'll be using the R/T board now and then to rent out or transfer our extra points, too. I just don't have enough vacation time to use all of them right now but I wasn't going to pass on buying them when I know I WILL be able to use them in retirement. I've offered our extra points to friends for now, but if none of them want to use them, I'll be posting on the R/T board soon.

I guess that makes my vote an "I don't care" vote. Probably won't help me but I don't see it hurting me, either. And who knows? Some day I MAY want to swap reservations with someone and could use it then.

OKW and SSR owners have the GV option to trade. I think this does benefit OKW owners more than SSR, but still...perhaps that is what I would want to trade for in some time in the future. For our large celebration next year, I was thinking of the GV at BWV for the second part, but the point total, adding in a Saturday night and the fact that a GV isn't "enough room" for the family, has nearly almost definitely ruled out that option.(I'm hedging) If I owned or had access to OKW points, that would be where we would stay. So, in spite of what I said before, yes, I would "try" the system even with the family vacation on the line, if I got a good feel from the person I was trading with.

Bobbi:goodvibes

No. I don't think even having the rent/trade board is good. Strikes me as basically providing a tool for members to violate the "intent" of thier agreement. There are SEVERAL commerical renters over there running a business on the DIS servers.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

In fact, I'd be happy if, along the same lines as checking in with an AP, a member must be present (with ID) in order to check in. Multiple rooms on the same res is fine so you could still treat freinds & family but the member would just have to go along for the ride. No flames... JMHO.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

In fact, I'd be happy if, along the same lines as checking in with an AP, a member must be present (with ID) in order to check in. Multiple rooms on the same res is fine so you could still treat freinds & family but the member would just have to go along for the ride. No flames... JMHO.

As for the OP's suggestions, sure I'd support it even though I'd likely never use it. We bought were we want to stay and other times we'll take what is available elsewhere.

The quote above: I just do not understand why ANYONE would support further restrictions on the use of a membership that WE own (well at least for another 34-50 years)? I don't rent so really it doesn't affect me at all. I do support the RIGHT of others to rent if they so choose. I also would like to and plan to send family for a trip and no I will not be there.

Remember, whether you like renting or not it simply adds value to our membership. Take away the flexibility and DVC would not be DVC. Maybe because I don't use the exchange options we should do away with those? NOT.

These aren't flames just a counter opinion to the one you posted above. I certainly hope we NEVER see the changes you suggest.

Thanks,

Mike

Its OK with me but we would likely never use it-we seem to short on BCV points all the time anyway so we would have nothing to trade. :sad1:

More logically we would simply rent extra points if we wanted a specific resort and then just rent out any extra points left over (yea that could happen :rolleyes: ).

I think it is worth a try. Can this be done currently in the R/T forum??

I think a separate forum area will would be good to allow more success in finding a match.
I own BCV and VB and would love some time to trade points and get a GV.

The problem is that we are only allowed one transfer, in or out. This prevents a true exchange in the same UY. I find it frustrating and wish Disney would allow 2 transfers so an exchange could happen. At least try it.

I'm sure the is a reason they don't want us exchanging is because it would take the pressure off of many who are having a hard time getting in to another resort and buy add-ons to get the 11 month window.

The problem is that we are only allowed one transfer, in or out. This prevents a true exchange in the same UY. I find it frustrating and wish Disney would allow 2 transfers so an exchange could happen. At least try it.

I'm sure the is a reason they don't want us exchanging is because it would take the pressure off of many who are having a hard time getting in to another resort and buy add-ons to get the 11 month window.

I guess I was thinking (not too deeply) of the possibility of someone making a reservation for me and I making a reservation for someone else in turn. The difference in points could then be transfered to the appropriate party (one transfer). It would probably require a bit of luck finding the right party to do this with and a large element of trust as well.

I was not advocating reserving prime weeks for a future exchange.

More logically we would simply rent extra points if we wanted a specific resort and then just rent out any extra points left over (yea that could happen :rolleyes: ).

I agree. The difficulties in bartering are one of the reasons money was invented.

You can already "rent" points for a reservation from another member at any resort for cash. You can also transfer your points to another member or use them to make a reservation for another member. This allows you to get back the cash you spent on the reservation you rented.

While you are out cash in the short term and need to do 2 transactions, this still seems easier than trying to find another member more than 11 months before you want to stay who has what you want and wants what you have.

I agree with others that allowing people to post that "I booked a prime ressie at my home resort for, for example, F&W, but what i really want is a ressie for early Dec at another resort" will only encourage spec bookings.

Once posted, that spec booking may get more responses such as "I'm not a member but I'll pay you $$ for your ressie" than they will from members. And the member with the spec booking who doesn't get any acceptable responses from other members and sees the 11 month window about to open up, will take the $$ so that they can rent or transfer points from another member to book the ressie they really want.

Just my thoughts -- Suzanne

Actually I can think of one instance where we would use it. We LOVE HHI but it is next to impossible to get in the summer months - which is when we would want to go. I'm suspecting I would do a "member would like 4 days at HHI during June -willing to make ressie at BWV for F&W fest".

I wouldn't want to do this on a regular basis, but on the odd occassion it would be lovely.

As for the OP's suggestions, sure I'd support it even though I'd likely never use it. We bought were we want to stay and other times we'll take what is available elsewhere.

The quote above: I just do not understand why ANYONE would support further restrictions on the use of a membership that WE own (well at least for another 34-50 years)? I don't rent so really it doesn't affect me at all. I do support the RIGHT of others to rent if they so choose. I also would like to and plan to send family for a trip and no I will not be there.

Remember, whether you like renting or not it simply adds value to our membership. Take away the flexibility and DVC would not be DVC. Maybe because I don't use the exchange options we should do away with those? NOT.

These aren't flames just a counter opinion to the one you posted above. I certainly hope we NEVER see the changes you suggest.

Thanks,

Mike
Amen.

Can you just see parents giving a DVC trip to their child as a wedding gift and explaining that they can use it as a honeymoon... but mom and dad will have to go along? :lmao:

I don't rent so really it doesn't affect me at all.
Ahhh... You see, it may affect you.
If the commercial renters are hogging all the holiday weeks at VWL, Food & Wine weeks at BCV and BWV, your first choice may not be available. :smokin:

MG

Ahhh... You see, it may affect you.
If the commercial renters are hogging all the holiday weeks at VWL, Food & Wine weeks at BCV and BWV, your first choice may not be available. :smokin:

MG

How would I know if it is commercial renters or just other owners beating me to the phone????

If my first choice isn't available I'll stay elsewhere, not the end of the world.

Besides, if those renters beat me to booking then they must be owners at those resorts and have as much right to those ressies as I do. A booked room is a booked room in my book and since we ALL have no way of knowing who is booking what I don't get worked up over it.

Mike

I guess I was thinking (not too deeply) of the possibility of someone making a reservation for me and I making a reservation for someone else in turn. The difference in points could then be transfered to the appropriate party (one transfer). It would probably require a bit of luck finding the right party to do this with and a large element of trust as well.

I was not advocating reserving prime weeks for a future exchange.

Hey Lisa, I didn't think you were advocating anything bad.

Unfortunately, your scenario is how you have to do it or you could transfer your points out this UY and then transfer their points in next UY, but now someone is exposed to losing points. Disney obviously does not want us to SWAP points even though it would make things for the non commercial transfers Soooo much easier. Just 2 transfers.... that's all I ask. Alas... I think this is all about selling add-ons and I might as well ask for the moon.

How would I know if it is commercial renters or just other owners beating me to the phone????

If my first choice isn't available I'll stay elsewhere, not the end of the world.

Besides, if those renters beat me to booking then they must be owners at those resorts and have as much right to those ressies as I do. A booked room is a booked room in my book and since we ALL have no way of knowing who is booking what I don't get worked up over it.

Mike

:goodvibes Stick around, Mike. I don't think we've had a good thread about the "Evils of Commerical Renting" since you have been posting here. They almost always end up locked due to the heated nature of the debate. However, I am in the anti-renting camp for a number of reasons which I won't get into here as it is OT. Is a booked room really a booked room when an owner books 20 rooms at VWL during Christmas for the sole purpose of renting them? Follow the r/t boards and eBay and you will quickly realize who is doing this and to what degree.

While the idea of member-to-member exchanges intriques me, I don't see it as a window I want to open up. I think more people will abuse it than use it as intended. I think members can do this on their own right now just by posting a thread.

I agree. The difficulties in bartering are one of the reasons money was invented.

You can already "rent" points for a reservation from another member at any resort for cash. You can also transfer your points to another member or use them to make a reservation for another member. This allows you to get back the cash you spent on the reservation you rented.

While you are out cash in the short term and need to do 2 transactions, this still seems easier than trying to find another member more than 11 months before you want to stay who has what you want and wants what you have.

I agree. In the end two 'renting' transactions would most likely be easier then one trade. The odds of finding that one owner to trade will seeems very unlikely, but I would be willing to have a sub-forum to give it a shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter