• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you switch…

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
… from the Yacht Club to the Grand Floridian if the price were the same? We received one of the coveted upgrade emails yesterday and the offer is basically an even swap (well, it would actually be $39 less at the GF) from the VC to the GF.

I’m torn because I’ve always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian but my family thinks it’s too stuffy. We stay at the Grand Californian but that’s totally different since it’s literally right in DCA. I have 10 days to decide and I’m on the fence.

Opinions, please!

P.S. I know the GF is under construction right now and likely the reason we received the offer.

Last edited:

I would not. We love the Yacht Club and the whole Epcot resort area. Being able to walk to two parks, especially Epcot, is priceless.
Back when we were visiting WDW annually we always stayed in the Epcot resort area, so we have stayed at the Swan and Beach Club many, many times. Feels like coming home.

That said, might be time to try something new.

Would the deal allow a split stay assuming you are there long enough?

Early September.

Well, one pro is that you’ll have a freshly renovated room, and they look lovely. The con is whatever work may be going on at the main building and lobby at the time.

I would normally not recommend a “I’ve always wanted to stay there” trip when the resort is undergoing work and not in its tip top shape. But with the work relatively contained to the main building interior and exterior, the reports so far seem to mostly say it’s been a non-issue.

Not sure if MNSSHP is in your plans but walking back at the end of the night vs relying on buses is quite nice. Even if not in your plans, GF would be a great place to watch party fireworks (if your trip includes a party night).

September is still really hot and if pools are on the agenda, does one appeal more than the other? GF has great pools, IMHO. Stormalong Bay is cool too of course, but it’s a different vibe.

I could probably argue this one both ways.

Well, one pro is that you’ll have a freshly renovated room, and they look lovely. The con is whatever work may be going on at the main building and lobby at the time.

I would normally not recommend a “I’ve always wanted to stay there” trip when the resort is undergoing work and not in its tip top shape. But with the work relatively contained to the main building interior and exterior, the reports so far seem to mostly say it’s been a non-issue.

Not sure if MNSSHP is in your plans but walking back at the end of the night vs relying on buses is quite nice. Even if not in your plans, GF would be a great place to watch party fireworks (if your trip includes a party night).

September is still really hot and if pools are on the agenda, does one appeal more than the other? GF has great pools, IMHO. Stormalong Bay is cool too of course, but it’s a different vibe.

I could probably argue this one both ways.
Yes, we are going to one MNSSHP.

It depends on how your family tours. I spend most of my time at Epcot and love having the convenience of walking to Epcot and DHS. If your family plans to spend more time at MK, then moving would make sense. Or if you are a regular visitor and have wanted to stay at the GF, then go for it.

We love both of those resorts, but the Grand is our number one. We spend at least two weeks a year there and have been going since it opened in 1988. It is not stuffy at all IMO. It is a nice hotel that is great for kids and adults alike. Unbeatable dining, great proximity to the MK and more. I would pick the Grand personally, but you really can't go wrong in either case with those options. There's no wrong answer ;)

No. I was not impressed with the GF. It was very nice but I prefer Yacht for a number of reasons. Location close to 2 parks, better pool, self contained/ no exterior buildings.

Our family also tends to think the GF is "too stuffy" - that being said, if I were offered a deal to stay there for less than what I was planning to pay originally, I would almost definitely go for it - it would be a great excuse to have a "new" resort experience as well (and the fact that you're planning a MNSSHP visit would be a huge bonus for that location, too)!

Depends on which parks you prioritize. I'd go with Yacht Club for SAB and proximity to 2 parks instead of one. And while they share similar names, Grand Flo and Grand Cal couldn't be more different in terms of theme, style, and feel. Just my opinion. Good luck on your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter