Would you switch…

See this might be the dealbreaker for me. With our luck we would switch from a hotel that is not under construction to a room at the GF with room refurb noise. We always get the short stick in every situation.
You cannot book a room in the Main Building at this time, as all rooms within the building are unavailable due to refurbishment. All other buildings have been completed, therefore, you will receive a newly refurbed room if you stay at GF. You should not hear any construction noise unless you’re out and about on the grounds within the area of the Main Bldg. I’d switch in a heartbeat, but then again, I love The Grand. 🙂

I would not.

Love Yacht Club and the entire area. Take Uber to MK if you have plans at MK area.

Stayed at both the 'regular' rooms at GF, the DVC building rooms and the DVC rooms now in the outer GF building.
I thought GF rooms were noisier that the many times I stay at the Crescent Lake resorts and I also didn't like the vibe at GF. (The lobby is lovely, yes) And I honestly do like an upscale feeling at times but it just didn't feel comfortable to me.

If you will be spending more time in MK than in Epcot and HS then switch. It’s easy enough to Uber to Epcot/HS but a pain to go to MK unless you take a Minnie van (regular car service goes to ticket and transportation center). I detest the monorail but skyliner is fine if the weather is good. Otherwise stay at YC for better pools and easier access to the 2 parks.

Personally I’d split stay if you will be there at least 3 days each, but that’s just me. Less than that isn’t worth it.

With out a doubt. Our whole family also "thought" it was stuffy, but we were upgraded from WL to GF and even thought of declining the upgrade. We talked about it and decided to take the upgrade and after that trip GF became our favorite Deluxe. LOL I personally do not think the walk to HS is a plus, it's an extra mile of walking that I really do not find as a benefit, especially if it's hot out. But I also do not consider the monorail to Epcot as a benefit either, it consistently takes a long time.

With out a doubt. Our whole family also "thought" it was stuffy, but we were upgraded from WL to GF and even thought of declining the upgrade. We talked about it and decided to take the upgrade and after that trip GF became our favorite Deluxe. LOL I personally do not think the walk to HS is a plus, it's an extra mile of walking that I really do not find as a benefit, especially if it's hot out. But I also do not consider the monorail to Epcot as a benefit either, it consistently takes a long time.
FWIW my mom also though GF would be stuffy, but now she loves it because she thinks of it as "Mary Poppins" themed. She wants to buy another 200 points there.

Even if you don't walk to HS, I think the skyliner to HS from BC/YC is much better than taking the bus. Totally agree about Epcot monorail.

Bottom line is that while everyone here has a preference, you really aren't going to go wrong either way UNLESS you are specifically trying to go to F&W. If so then definitely stay at YC.

Yup in a 💓! I just love the Grand! Also, if I'm doing a MK party and/or AH, most definitely! But as OP stated if your focus is mainly EP and/or HS stay at YC even though that discount would be hard for me to pass up. We usually have a car so I would go for GF.

Last edited:
If you plan to spend a lot of time at Epcot, definitely stay at the Yacht Club. The monorail to/from Epcot is a royal pain from the Grand Floridian as you have to take 2 trains and the MK monorail makes all the local stops.

If you have always wanted to stay there you might want to switch. We also thought it looked “stuffy” but after staying there we stopped feeling that way. It was great to stay there and I would stay again sometime if it wasn’t for the price. But I also prefer the Yacht Club. Though it isn’t quite as grand, the theme is better for me as is the location and choice of restaurants in the area.

Plus, like you mentioned, the GF is under construction and I would just want to avoid being there during that.
The construction at GF isn’t even that bad. I just spent 3 days there over the 4th and it’s barely even noticeable it’s going on aside from the construction crew being around and some walls/scaffolding being up. They’ve done a really good job of trying to minimise the impact as much as possible on the guests experience there. Plus, the newly refurbished rooms are absolutely gorgeous atm

Honestly I would stay at the Yacht Club - yes I the Grand is "Grand" but you are the last ones to get on the monorail which means during busy times you may be waiting on more than one monorail or definitely standing if you can get on. With all the buildings being separate and out in the elements if it was raining you would have to walk in the rain to get to and from the lobby area to your room. Those are the big drawbacks for me to have to pay the Grand Floridian prices. I did stay one night there just so I said that I had stayed there and the room was very nice, had a theme park view so I could watch the fireworks but there was a big pine tree outside the window so the castle view was obstructed, but was able to go downstairs and stand on the lawn and watch.

That's a tough one. YC is my absolute favorite resort on property and I've stayed at 90% of them. I have stayed at GF before and I love the resort. I probably wouldn't switch but just because we really don't spend that much time at MK but do go to Epcot for a short time every day. If I could do a split stay, you bet.

I would say go with what makes your family the happiest. We are GF all the way and found YC stuffy compared to GF when we stayed there. That being said it should be the place you and your family feel comfortable. I will second the rest of the posters that all rooms are refurbed except the main building which they are working on. There was exterior construction and lobby construction when we were there at the end of June but hopefully by your trip it would be minimal. Even having stayed there during construction we were never disturbed in any of the rooms were were in.

I say grand but it’s one of my favorite deluxes. If you can get theme park view watching fireworks from the balcony some nights was so relaxing. Plus the table service and counter service are some of my favorites. You can monorail, walk or boat to magic too. Plus they are the largest rooms on property I believe.

This is the issue. Epcot and HS are both favorites of my guys. We have multiple morning reservations at each.
This should answer you key decision thoughts. If you are at the GF and spend more than 1 or 2 very early bus rides or ride share trips to Epcot or HS stick with YC.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter