Would you take a baby to the California Grill?

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
No flaming please!:( We are going to be staying at the Contemporary for five nights in May with our one year old. We would really love to get up the California Grill one night, but we just don't feel comfortable leaving our baby with a sitting service. Now, once he is big enough for the kids clubs, that's another story!;) We just don't feel good about leaving him all alone in a one on one situation with a stranger. So, we have two options - skip it, or take him with us. We were thinking of going for a very early dinner (first PS of the night). We don't mind taking turns taking him outside or leaving early if he is causing a disturbance. We certainly don't want to ruin anybody else's dinner. He's generally a very relaxed and happy baby, and he isn't usually any trouble at all. We have eaten there once before, so we do have an idea of the sort of atmosphere we are talking about. What do you guys think? We plan on taking him to several other nice places on the trip, but this is the only place I wasn't sure about.

From my perspective (i.e., that of another diner in the restaurant), as long as you're willing to excuse yourself if he has a "baby freakout" :) it works for me. It's the parents who think everyone else should just deal with it or ignore it that frost my cookies.

From your perspective, I think you just have to weigh the chances that your very nice and fairly pricey dinner may be cancelled mid-way through. It sounds like he's a pretty mellow munchkin, though, so if I were you and really wanted to eat at the CG, I'd go for it.

If you get an early PS time, then I think having your one-year old there would not be a problem. When we have our 4 year old son with us, we always get a PS time of 5:30 and are seated not too deep into the restaurant (near other people with kids). When we go without our son, we get later a PS time (7:30 or later) and can't remember seeing any young children at that time.

P.S. They give young kids crayons so they can color on the paper tablecloth. Seems to keep them amused.

My DH and I have done it when our DD was 8 months old, 14 months old and plan on doing it in March when she turns 20 months old! It was fine for us both times. She was good and our wait staff both times was great!

Only you know your child best, but I say go for it!:p

Make your PS now! If you know your child can behave well enough, then do it! We brought our son when he was 2 yo and again when he was 3 yo and while he behaved perfectly (he fell asleep under the table and no one knew he was there when he went the first time), the 7 and 10 yo kids next to use were a big pain!!!! The wait staff is extraordinary with wee ones too. Now get busy with those ressies and make sure you do it during magical fireworks times and be sure to ask for a window table when you get there! While kids should be held to proper behavior expectations, anyone going to any restaurant on Disney property (except V & A's maybe) should expect to see: 1. A child and/or 2. People dressed like tourists - shorts, tanks, flip-flops and all (I'm only guilty of number 1)!

Thanks so much for the opinions! I think we will go for it - realizing, of course, that we may need to skip out early or take turns outside with him if he gets rowdy. We do take him out to eat quite a bit and he is usually pretty good. Like I said, he has a very easy going personality. Thanks everybody for easing my mind about this!

We took our child to restaurants with us from the time that she was 6 weeks old. We had no one to sit for us, so if we wanted to go out, we had no alternative. I can only remember twice that she had a meltdown and we had to take here outside so as not to disturb other diners. I think that children who are exposed to dining experiences at a young age learn how to behave when dining in public.

If you are willing to excuse yourself if your baby does have a meltdown, I say go for it! You deserve a nice dinner, too!

Just a thought... Will you have a carrier style seat? Something I found (and my 2 were totally different, so I realize this is not a solution for everyone) was if I planned a later dinner, did a quiet evening routine, put DD in a sleep outfit and took her in a restaurant in the carrier she fell asleep. Usually within minutes. Especially since you are inside the same hotel it may be an option. Then after you meal you can ride to your room, and transfer to bed.

I don't know if you'd consider it comparable - but we ate at the Coral Reef (blimey - have I got the name right - suddenly have a mental block) in EPCOT with our 14 month old in mid-December and had no problems at all.

Go for it!!!
We took our DS (7 months at the time ) to CG and had no problem. Disney is FAMILY oriented. The only place I wouldn't take a child is Victoria and Alberts.

I agree w/ all of the other posters. Go and enjoy yourself. Most restaurants at Disney are kid friendly... but some are more "entertaining" for little ones than others. We took our DS at 8 mos who was used to eating out and very well behaved. Once in a blue moon we had to take turns w/ him outside, but usually didn't have that problem. The background noise is loud in there and if he does a quick squeak or chitter chatters loudly, I doubt anyone would notice. When my son was 8 mos. and we visited Disney, we ate in a fancy restaurant every night. I would walk away from the table and rock him to sleep in my arms, then place him in the carrier and he slept thru the whole dinner. We ate at different times and he fell asleep at each one. We were so lucky. He even fell asleep in Cirque du Soleil. So if your DS still fits, try the carrier option like the PP said. If he doesn't nap at that time, don't fret. Earlier seatings are great for kids. I remember before kids, getting so annoyed w/ screechers in restaurants. I couldn't believe the parents wouldn't remove the child from the restaurant. But you seem very courteous of others and even if your DS makes a noise you didn't have the chance to prevent, the other diners will see you are taking care of it and not allowing it to happen often, and they will appreciate you for that. Nobody can prevent all kid's noises, esp. when the noise pops up out of the blue w/ no warning, but if you work w/ him and remove him if he can't calm down, then all will be fine. And just think, the all adult table may be making all the racket next to you and you'll be annoyed w/ them. That's happened where my kid is as good as can be, but the table next to us was wild and crazy. Go figure. We are taking my DS almost 3 and DD 4 mos. in 2 wks and will tag team them if we have to in order to get those wonderful meals and service at the CG. Good luck w/ your decision.

When I went for the first time last year, the meal was excellent, but was seated next to a family where the kids were bored and kept annoying each other through the whole meal. There were other people there with little, little kids. Some were well behaved and you hardly knew they were there. Others would be screaming, throwing things, etc. and those are the one's you wished were not there. It's not that I am anti-child, but just that it does get annoying when you are trying to relax and enjoy a nice, quiet meal and all you hear are little one's screaming and the parents just ignoring it. That's what aggravates me more.

I think if you feel that your little one will do well, then go ahead. A few friendly suggestions would be to make sure to bring some things for the child to play with and if the baby starts getting really fussy, then to step away from the dining area and see if it gets any better.

If one's purpose for vacation is to not be bothered by children, shouldn't one choose to vacation at a place exclusively for adults. If one chooses to vacation at a place geared for families with children, even though one may not have children, shouldn't one expect to encounter children in the theme parks, restaurants, and other public areas? AND shouldn't those who have children be responsible for them and make sure that they a) behave approriately or b) remove the child from the situation????

What is the debate about again?!?!?

Originally posted by MPLsDad
If one's purpose for vacation is to not be bothered by children, shouldn't one choose to vacation at a place exclusively for adults. If one chooses to vacation at a place geared for families with children, even though one may not have children, shouldn't one expect to encounter children in the theme parks, restaurants, and other public areas? AND shouldn't those who have children be responsible for them and make sure that they a) behave approriately or b) remove the child from the situation????
I have no problem with "encountering" children, and am certainly not "bothered" by their presence. In fact, I've been known to engage children in conversation, peek-a-boo, or whatever other age-appropriate interaction on busses, in attraction lines, etc. As a childfree person, it's that last part of your paragraph that's the issue - as I'm sure you know, not all parents are this considerate or responsible.

Back on topic, just for the record, I don't have any problem with "chitter chatter" or the occasional squeak or squeal. It's ignoring crying jags or temper tantrums that makes my temp rise. But like I said originally, as long as the parents are up to the task if an issue arises, every table in the restaurant can have one or more munchkins and it won't worry me in the slightest. :)

Originally posted by MHopkins2
It's ignoring crying jags or temper tantrums that makes my temp rise.

Then I think it is your responsibility to confront those people or find someone who will - for your own peace of mind and enjoyment and to teach a lesson to those inconsiderate parents!!!

Honestly, I think it should be the restaurant's responsibility. But I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen!

MHopkins2 - I perfectly understand what you are saying. You will encounter children at WDW, but because WDW is kid friendly doesn't give parents the right to allow their children to act loud and obnoxious during dinner. And that goes for a large party of adults which can also get loud. That is what I was trying to point out earlier. If the parents are considerate and quiet the child or if that is impossible, remove the child, then it's a win-win for everyone (except maybe the parent who is out in the lobby w/ the child). But we are not guaranteed fairness as a parent.

I can't count the number of times I have been to Disney before children (yes, I was one of those who loved it even w/o kids) and sat beside a family of 4 w/ extremely well behaved children. I would actually make a point of complimenting them on their darling children's behavior because I was so amazed. I now know how much that means to a parent. When I get on a plane or enter a restaurant and get those dirty looks that are saying, "Oh no! Not by me please!" They wouldn't be having these looks on their faces, if they had only good experiences. Which means that some parents have not been considerate. I feel for those people who had to sit next to a screaming child throwing temper tantrums. Here they are spending a lot of money and expect to have a nice dinner out. Some parents just don't care and think they are owed a dinner at the restaurant even if their child can't handle it. Yes, I'd like a nice night out to dinner as well, but if my kids act up, it's not in the cards for me that evening. We'll have to do take out instead. After the plane landed, I had people approach me and say, "I didn't even know the baby was on the plane." And I've had people approach me w/ smiles at the restaurants and tell me how well behaved my child is. You can hear the relief in their voices that their dinner out wasn't ruined by a screaming child. That makes me feel so wonderful. So if you see well behaved children, let the parents know you noticed. Because it takes hard work, logistics, lots of planning to get even the most well-behaved child thru a dinner. Like the PP said, bring a few toys, let him color, etc. My kid likes to stack sugar packets. Go figure. But it keeps him quiet and we pick all the packets up and reorganize them by color before we leave so as not to give the server more work.

The OP has mentioned that he will be considerate of others by removing the child if there is a problem. But I don't think that will be the case. With a couple toys and crayons, maybe a few sugar packets, and the background noise to muffle the giggles or chitter chatter, CG is a good choice for the family. And a considerate family is certainly welcomed by all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter